NEW 29gal Tank - Stocking Questions and Tips - Please Help :)

db9181

SAND: Both type's packaging says "CaribSea Arag-alive! Live aragonite reef sand" is the difference between "fiji pink" and "reef sand" just the coloration....?

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/100#post_3410342
sounds like you have a bloom of somesort. Did you get the skimmer yet? If so start running it and maybe hitting a water change too. Should be okay.
I have not gotten a skimmer ... will get it on Thrusday. Ill post the pic when i get home from work (3am lol). I just started the tank Saturday, and added LR Sunday night...no LS yet (getting that thursday too).
Don't I not want to do a water change since its cycling / hasnt had the ammonia spike yet?
It would prob be best to do the water change thursday after I add the LS...correct?

db9181

Woke up this morning, turned on the lights and noticed that the water looks like is cloudy - it was clear as of lastnight..... is this normal?
Yesterday:

Today:

teresaq

what filter did you put on. you may need to change the filter floss. just looks like stuff off your rock.

flower

If the tank has not cycled yet, it may have that ammonia spike now if the live rock has die off....check that. Die off on the live rock is good, it will help the cycle.
While the tank cycles, you don't need a skimmer, purigen, carbon...nothing. Run the power heads and regular filters. Do tests to see where you are at in the cycle. I haven't read the entire thread, you should have your own test kits.
You don't rinse live sand, don't do a water change either. Turn off the pumps and filters, add the sand and wait for it to clear....then turn back on the filters and pumps.
You are asking the right questions but you are way ahead of yourself. Things will clear up as you go....you won't need a skimmer for another 2 to 4 months depending on how much you stock.

db9181

Thanks Flower - I figured it was something normal, has cleared up a little this morning. - No ammonia spike as of yet. Alright I guess I will hold off on the skimmer for now, just figured it wouldnt hurt / would only help.
Also, it appears that all my LR is covered in what looks to be hundreds of type of worm (most are .5-1in) but I havent been able to ID them via any hitch-hiker pages.

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB9181 http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/80#post_3410052
Back to lighting: Coralife 24" Aqualight 130 watt power compact fixture.... Do me any good coral wise before T5 unit .... I can get the 130w unit for $30
Alright, looks like i can pick up this Unit :)
(removed competitors link)
He stated he's got 2 Actinic bulbs now, should i replace one with a 10,000°K or 50/50? Of the 3 which 2 would do me the best?

meowzer

You can put a picture of o product, but please do noy link competitors sites :)
ANYWAY....do you want corals?

db9181

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/387413/new-29gal-tank-stocking-questions-and-tips-please-help/100#post_3410439
You can put a picture of o product, but please do noy link competitors sites :)
ANYWAY....do you want corals?
Oops, sry :)
Yes I would eventually like to add some corals. I was told w/ the 24" compact unit "The light would allow you to keep most softies. - mushrooms, leathers, zoas, xenia, colts" (teresa). What corals could i NOT have?
Also, can someone answer my previous question in regards to what bulb combination :)

teresaq

are the worms attched to the rocks, or do they move around. There are soo many its hard to tell. most of the ones attched to the rocks I just call tube worm and are filter feeders.
You may have some brisle worms - these will sting, but are a good part of your clean up crew. Wear gloves.
T

db9181

Hey all - I have started a new thread on my 29g tank buld: https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/387567/29gal-build#post_3411240pl
pls follow it occasionally as my ?s will be posted there as well as pics :)
-Dan