New Build

E

eric b 125

Also, with a herbie would you suggest the second overflow being just a straight piece of pvc with nothing on top, or two 90*s drilled w/ john guest fitting and airline so it will kick in to full siphon in emergency?

veni vidi vici

I dont know that my system would be qualified to be called either a Herbie or Bean Animal. I had a internal overflow with no teeth and had 3 - 1-1/2 outlets,open with no 90's running out of the back into my vented T's. It worked perfect until i moved.:cry:

veni vidi vici

My system only worked because my sump/refugium was large enough to take on the water in case of power outage. ie. pump stopped working water stopped going over the overflow box until pump was restarted. So the only water that would drain into my sump would be what was in the overflow box.
IMO it is safer and simpler.

veni vidi vici

Ok so i deviated from the plan already but i found the tank that I want. Its 48x24x25 120 gal. standard Aqueon tank.Ill be doing basically the same overflow so ill be drilling my tank Eric B.
Its close to your tank size so I guess I can be the guinea pig. When are you starting your build?
Im going out of town tomorrow so i cant pick it up for a week but it looks like ill be starting the base cabinet,hood,and side towers in about 10 days or so.

E

eric b 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici http:///t/397230/new-build/20#post_3540340
Ok so i deviated from the plan already but i found the tank that I want. Its 48x24x25 120 gal. standard Aqueon tank.Ill be doing basically the same overflow so ill be drilling my tank Eric B.
Its close to your tank size so I guess I can be the guinea pig. When are you starting your build?
Im going out of town tomorrow so i cant pick it up for a week but it looks like ill be starting the base cabinet,hood,and side towers in about 10 days or so.

The 200 build wont start until later this year. I've made a few diagrams on graph paper and figured out the equipment I'll need. If it turns out like I have it planned it will be a very clean system. I'm going to go reef ready for once. My 125 sits about 5" from the wall to accommodate the external overflow box and while I really like the silence of the BeanAnimal and the surface skimming of the C2C, I just can't stand having the visible plumbing and "workings" of the tank. Plus, with a 3' wide tank I don't want to take up even more room by not putting it close to the wall. I've never had to get behind this tank for any reason so I don't see a problem with it. I might leave just enough room to put MP40's on the back wall but that's it.

veni vidi vici

No tank yet,but i can at least start cycleing the dead rock. Ill call that progress. Notice how i stratigly placed the RO/DI over the outlet..... Im either going to make it dead or install GFI. I could move it but that is going to be the best placement for it.

veni vidi vici

I guess i can do some function checks too. Its been sitting for awhile. I did fire up one of my MHs and it was ok ill have to fire up the other two and see if they still work .

E

eric b 125

I would just kill the outlet... not much sense in using it if you're going to keep the RODI there. Or you could GFCI and get a waterproof casing used for outdoors. It might be a good idea for you to soak some of your equipment in a vinegar bath while you wait for the tank.

veni vidi vici

Bare bones framing done on the stand,ill be adding a center stud later for an extra bearing point and backing for the finish face frame.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric B 125 http:///t/397230/new-build#post_3540224
VVV: I remember years ago getting info on C2C/ BeanAnimal overflows from you. I finally went and did it on my 125 last year (narrow internal weir, external box) and it's one of my favorite upgrades to my system.
Here's a question for you: I'm upgrading to a 48 x 36 x 25" 190 and it has a center overflow w/ 3 holes (two 1.5" and one 1"). I was wondering how a herbie stacked up to a BeanAnimal? I figured it's equally as quiet but without the 2nd failsafe emergency drain? I want to use the 1" hole as my return. I'm sick of having visible plumbing, lol
I'd honestly stick with the Bean......Just my .02