New purchases : )

ibanez

It's good for a rescue operation. My first clownfish was a rescue from ***** and I think he was glad I did it.

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3262957
P.S. ***** is not a good place to buy stuff.....
Well now I know. Okay so I did some really quick research and LTA grows in the sand? And not on rock? What do you recommend feeding it? And how often? I read that BTA's like a silversidies (spelling?) once a week. Do LTA's relate?

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by IbanEz
http:///forum/post/3262960
It's good for a rescue operation. My first clownfish was a rescue from ***** and I think he was glad I did it.
I have to admit they do have great fish. I have bought all my fish from them and have been overly satisfied. I had a bully damsel that pecked at the other two, and when I added my clownfish I captured my bully (This was a lot of fun : /) before and I seperated him. Then added the clownfish and then two hours later I added the bully. He hasn't pecked at any of my fish once since. And they all swim in harmony.
I just went to go look at the aquarium and my clownfish were sitting on the anemone : )). Its on its side, but hopefully whenever it stands up they will host it!!!!

mr.clownfish

its kinda hard to tell, but i dont think its bleached. but its not supposed to look like that. its supposed to bury its self into the sand, or maybe attach its self to live rock. are your lights power compacts?

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by Mr.clownfish
http:///forum/post/3262974
its kinda hard to tell, but i dont think its bleached. but its not supposed to look like that. its supposed to bury its self into the sand, or maybe attach its self to live rock. are your lights power compacts?
Yeah I am pretty sure. I think its pretty content in the tank. Its open right now (Open as in not curled up in a ball and the mouth is visible). I dug a hole for it and scooted it over to it and it went in. So maybe its happy. : ). I know I aint supposed to move it, but I wanted to take every precaution of it getting unhealthy and figured it would be healthier and happier in a hole. If it moves I will let it be.

teresaq

try putting it on the rocks. I suspect you dont have enough light. Pc arent strong enough to suport an anemone. you need t5s or mh
T

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/3262998
try putting it on the rocks. I suspect you dont have enough light. Pc arent strong enough to suport an anemone. you need t5s or mh
T
Alright it fell off, so I put it on a rock.

flower

Originally Posted by youknow2025
http:///forum/post/3262999
Alright it fell off, so I put it on a rock.

I am not trying to sound mean...You can’t PUT an anemone anywhere, they go where they want, and the more you putz with it the longer it takes to adapt. No your lights are not strong enough, you don’t have enough rock and your tank is too young for one. Can you take it back?
What you need to get is a really good book so you can read up and learn, because you don’t seem to understand what you’re doing and what you can and can’t keep.
Before adding any new critter you must do research FIRST on every one of them, otherwise you are going to spend a fortune and kill everything you bring home.
A saltwater tank is not as forgiving as a freshwater tank. Ocean critters live in a world where nothing changes, they never learn to adapt to a new environment. That means you have to have a tank that can support their life and if you do not understand their needs they are doomed to die..

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3263003

I am not trying to sound mean...You can’t PUT an anemone anywhere, they go where they want, and the more you putz with it the longer it takes to adapt. No your lights are not strong enough, you don’t have enough rock and your tank is too young for one. Can you take it back?
What you need to get is a really good book so you can read up and learn, because you don’t seem to understand what you’re doing and what you can and can’t keep.
Before adding any new critter you must do research FIRST on every one of them, otherwise you are going to spend a fortune and kill everything you bring home.
A saltwater tank is not as forgiving as a freshwater tank. Ocean critters live in a world where nothing changes, they never learn to adapt to a new environment. That means you have to have a tank that can support their life and if you do not understand their needs they are doomed to die..
It gets blown away anywhere I put it, so as of now it is in a rock and if it moves/gets blown away again it can go. The only reason I moved it again after placing was because I thought it was a BTA and they stick to rocks, but instead they go in the sand. Then I was told to try the rock again, and thats where its been for a while. I am willing to risk my lights and the youth of my tank. I am getting more rock soon. No, I can't take it back. ***** has a no-return policy on saltwater aquarium items.
I have a good book. I have a basic idea of what I am doing. And with that I am taking risks, and I am perfectly fine with that. I have been told different things its going to work, its going to be fine, and some people don't know. So we'll see what happens.
I did do my homework and studied up on a BTA. Unfortunately thats not what I came home with. Instead I came home with a LTA. (moms mistake).
I am keeping a watchful eye on my anemone and at the first point of unhealthyness its going to my lfs, but until then it will remain in my tank.
I'll post more pictures of it later. It's completly open right now. Brownish pinkish. Its awfully pretty.

meowzer

The problem is the risk you are taking is not yours.....it's the life of the anemone
I think if you do some more research you will find that your lights are not sufficient....sorry....but that's just a fact

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3263018
The problem is the risk you are taking is not yours.....it's the life of the anemone
I think if you do some more research you will find that your lights are not sufficient....sorry....but that's just a fact
I will look into getting new lights.

swimmer4uus

I agree with Meowzer. Looking at getting new lights is simply not going to be enough. You WILL need better lights if you want this thing to survive. Anemones will not show signs of being unhealthy until it is too late. Much research is needed to keep one successfully (we're talking 5 plus years), and taking shortcuts and risks with a saltwater tank is in my opinion careless. Not trying to be mean, but I'd rather see a healthy tank, and someone who enoys this hobby with success.
Nobody has even said anything about the tank size, and the ability to keep your parameters constant. Much more live rock is needed, also probably more sand as sand dwelling anemones tend to prefer upwards of 6 inches.

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by swimmer4uus
http:///forum/post/3263023
I agree with Meowzer. Looking at getting new lights is simply not going to be enough. You WILL need better lights if you want this thing to survive. Anemones will not show signs of being unhealthy until it is too late. Much research is needed to keep one successfully (we're talking 5 plus years), and taking shortcuts and risks with a saltwater tank is in my opinion careless. Not trying to be mean, but I'd rather see a healthy tank, and someone who enoys this hobby with success.
Nobody has even said anything about the tank size, and the ability to keep your parameters constant. Much more live rock is needed, also probably more sand as sand dwelling anemones tend to prefer upwards of 6 inches.
My way of taking risks is finding new ways for to do something. In this instance seeing how my anenome does in my tank. When my parents bought these lights for me they were told that everything will do fine under them, and they asked again to make sure the anemone would be fine. I enjoy this hobby very much and I am hoping to get success. I am just experimenting.
I got my first hermit crabs the day I set up my tank. I got my first fish 5 days after the tank was set up. They all are still living except two hermit crabs that died after a cyanobacteria infection.
My tank is 37 gallons. The bio of an anemone says 30+ gallons.
My parameters have stayed the same since I set up the tank. (knock on wood) I know thats not a lot saying its a young tank, but its a plus.
I am getting rock as soon as I get more money.
And I was told that your tank needed to be 6-8 months old to have an anemone.
And I read on a bio that the LTA prefers 4 inches of sand, but I guess more wouldn't hurt.
What would be a good recommendation on lighting?

S

smartorl

Because you have made it this point, doesn't spell success. You have rushed each stage of the game and while you may have dodged a bullet, it will catch up with you. The reason you didn't have much of a cycle is that you are seriously lacking in live rock. The lack of live rock means lack of biological filtration. The more you increase the bioload, your system will be unstable.
As far as the ***** telling you and your parents the lights were ok and how to set up and stock your tank, it happens all the time. Most of the ***** workers make $8 an hour and have no formal training in the aquarium hobby. Even local aquarium shops are often guilty.
Many people have spent years in the hobby and learned by losses and victories what the requirements of most creatures are.
I know you don't mean to come off being a bit arrogant but it is a bit insulting for those who have learned and studied and are trying to help to be told that in spite of doing so many things incorrectly, you choose to stay your course.
Anemones still pose a challenge for the most skilled aquarists. There is just no way your anemone will survive under pc lighting. It's a proven fact and a sad one. Your anemone will die. I would consider it kinder to return it until you learn a little more, boost your natural filtration and have a mature enough tank to house one.

swimmer4uus

Well....instead of focusing on what's done wrong, hopefully I can give you some insite on some things I learned on my searching. From the pictures you posted, it looks like the anemone was actually more healthy than I've seen trying to buy one for myself. That will actually give you better chances.
So, the question is where do we go from here if we are trying to give this anemone the best chance of living a long life? The following are suggestions beyond returning it to someone who has a mature tank, which is still my recomendation. An no, I would not return it to *****, nor buy anything saltwater from them. The practices used by collectors they buy from are down right inhumane, and I will not support that, even if only indirectly.
Now, for IDing the anemone, it's either a condy, or a LTA. That's for sure. Since it has a bright orange foot, I'm leaning more for a Condy. In that case, they prefer rocks to attach to. Increasing your live rock will benefit both your tank, and the anemone. BUT, this comes with a chance of stiring up setimate, causing a spike, and killing your anemone. Also, the nem may not like the new watermovement, and again, disrupting it's natural cycle. Slowly add the rock if you can, and do NOT increase your bioload at all till you have all your rock in the tank.
If you can get new lights, do it pronto! Metal Halides are the most popular for nems, but also overdriven T5's can work too. Also, there's a new competitor coming up....LEDs. I believe these are the best bet, but very pricy.
You can also increase the nutrition of the food you're feeding it by soaking cut shrimp or krill in a solution. I forget at the moment what the solution was, so I'll have to look that up for you. I'd stay away from silversides personally. I find them to be way too oily for anything we may keep in a tank. Also, do not feed them anemone anything bigger than the size of it's vent. They can injest bigger items, but it's not always the best. Store bought raw srimp cut up into small pieces fed once a week will HELP the anemone till you can get the proper lights. We're talking a dollar per shrimp which should last a couple weeks if cut up. Expect it to bleach some untill you get some lights, as feeding it alone will not keep this animal long term.
Also, weekly water changes should be done, making sure temperature, salinity, calcium, and iodine levels are exactly matching. Any change can cause the nem to start into the "downward spiral" as I call it.
These are some basic tips that hopefully can help you. If you already know these, awesome. If not, I hope it helps some.
If I came across as too harsh before, I'm sorry. Just remember people on this board are VERY pationate about the reef, and hate to see anything die because of human intervention. I for one do not put anything in my tank that I know I can't keep alive long term(10+ years). Also, we are always trying to help.

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by swimmer4uus
http:///forum/post/3263121
Well....instead of focusing on what's done wrong, hopefully I can give you some insite on some things I learned on my searching. From the pictures you posted, it looks like the anemone was actually more healthy than I've seen trying to buy one for myself. That will actually give you better chances.
So, the question is where do we go from here if we are trying to give this anemone the best chance of living a long life? The following are suggestions beyond returning it to someone who has a mature tank, which is still my recomendation. An no, I would not return it to *****, nor buy anything saltwater from them. The practices used by collectors they buy from are down right inhumane, and I will not support that, even if only indirectly.
Now, for IDing the anemone, it's either a condy, or a LTA. That's for sure. Since it has a bright orange foot, I'm leaning more for a Condy. In that case, they prefer rocks to attach to. Increasing your live rock will benefit both your tank, and the anemone. BUT, this comes with a chance of stiring up setimate, causing a spike, and killing your anemone. Also, the nem may not like the new watermovement, and again, disrupting it's natural cycle. Slowly add the rock if you can, and do NOT increase your bioload at all till you have all your rock in the tank.
If you can get new lights, do it pronto! Metal Halides are the most popular for nems, but also overdriven T5's can work too. Also, there's a new competitor coming up....LEDs. I believe these are the best bet, but very pricy.
You can also increase the nutrition of the food you're feeding it by soaking cut shrimp or krill in a solution. I forget at the moment what the solution was, so I'll have to look that up for you. I'd stay away from silversides personally. I find them to be way too oily for anything we may keep in a tank. Also, do not feed them anemone anything bigger than the size of it's vent. They can injest bigger items, but it's not always the best. Store bought raw srimp cut up into small pieces fed once a week will HELP the anemone till you can get the proper lights. We're talking a dollar per shrimp which should last a couple weeks if cut up. Expect it to bleach some untill you get some lights, as feeding it alone will not keep this animal long term.
Also, weekly water changes should be done, making sure temperature, salinity, calcium, and iodine levels are exactly matching. Any change can cause the nem to start into the "downward spiral" as I call it.
These are some basic tips that hopefully can help you. If you already know these, awesome. If not, I hope it helps some.
If I came across as too harsh before, I'm sorry. Just remember people on this board are VERY pationate about the reef, and hate to see anything die because of human intervention. I for one do not put anything in my tank that I know I can't keep alive long term(10+ years). Also, we are always trying to help.
Thanks for all the help. I am planning to call the lfs and see if I can get any store credit or trade. If they aren't up for any of that then I might just hold on to it.
I just got a check in the mail today from our livestock show. Maybe my mom will let me tap into that to upgrade my lighting and add more liverock.
Okay I will look into the lighting pronto.

I was told to equal the number of gallons your tank has with the lbs of liverock. Do you agree?
Okay so raw shrimp. Sounds good.
I am doing weekly water changes, so I guess I am good at something haha.

By the way, sorry for being rude. I felt like I was being attacked.
I included the newest picture of it. Very pretty. It just moved to the back of my tank a few seconds ago though, so I guess oh well.

Y

youknow2025

One of my clownfish is pecking at the tentacles of the anemone. Is this a sign of hosting?

flower

Originally Posted by youknow2025
http:///forum/post/3263183
One of my clownfish is pecking at the tentacles of the anemone. Is this a sign of hosting?

Clownfish “pecking” is not hosting. The clownfish is eating food that either got stuck on the anemone or is nipping dead tentacles. I don’t believe an anemone will feed until it attaches. Watch very closely and see if it eats whatever you try and feed it. If it won’t eat and lets the food drop off, don’t leave it in the tank to spoil, it will cause ammonia to spike.
Don’t try and put the anemone anywhere, leave it completely alone and cover all power heads and intake tubes.
Do not, absolutely do not
purchase any more critters until you have more rock…in the mean time. Get a stocking and put Purigen in it and tie it off and then in the remaining part of the stocking put activated charcoal. Hang it in the tank in front of the power head. This will clear your water of the extra toxins and help keep the water as pure as possible for the anemones sake. The stocking material will let good bacteria grow on it and help with that.
The anemone may not die, my long tentacle tube anemone was nocturnal. It went to the sand in the beginning and dug in (deep sand bed is needed) but it became attached to a rock later and stayed there for over a year. When the bright lights came on, it shrunk up and hid, only coming out at night. A clown will not host this type of anemone ever. I am not sure if that is the kind of anemone you have, mine did have a bright orange foot but the tentacles were very thin almost like hair.
There are lots of coral that don’t require bright lights, saving you some big bucks there. They are very pretty but need very good water conditions and lots of coral food. Because of needing so much food it pollutes the tank and more water changes are necessary, since you said you are good at water changes that may be the best route to take for you to have a reef tank. The fish you have already, can live in such a tank.
Buying bright expensive lights just for the anemone is crazy. Take the anemone back if you must have those bright lights. I am attaching a picture of a coral reef done with PC lighting. You still have to do your homework and make sure you understand how to care for each one, there are no shortcuts.

swimmer4uus

This is true. Some of the most beautiful reefs that I prefer to look at have very little SPS. I'm much more into softies, LPS, and NPS. BUT if you really want the anemone to be healthy, upgraded lights it is. To break it down for you, it's either upgrade the lights, or trade in the nem.
The nem otherwise looks healthy, the mouth is closed tight. I'd still be a little worried that it's still moving around. Getting more live rock in there should help with this. And yeah one pound per gallon will be fine. Definanly get some purigen, activated carbon, or even chemi-pure into the system.

Y

youknow2025

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3263196

Clownfish “pecking” is not hosting. The clownfish is eating food that either got stuck on the anemone or is nipping dead tentacles. I don’t believe an anemone will feed until it attaches. Watch very closely and see if it eats whatever you try and feed it. If it won’t eat and lets the food drop off, don’t leave it in the tank to spoil, it will cause ammonia to spike.
Don’t try and put the anemone anywhere, leave it completely alone and cover all power heads and intake tubes.
Do not, absolutely do not
purchase any more critters until you have more rock…in the mean time. Get a stocking and put Purigen in it and tie it off and then in the remaining part of the stocking put activated charcoal. Hang it in the tank in front of the power head. This will clear your water of the extra toxins and help keep the water as pure as possible for the anemones sake. The stocking material will let good bacteria grow on it and help with that.
The anemone may not die, my long tentacle tube anemone was nocturnal. It went to the sand in the beginning and dug in (deep sand bed is needed) but it became attached to a rock later and stayed there for over a year. When the bright lights came on, it shrunk up and hid, only coming out at night. A clown will not host this type of anemone ever. I am not sure if that is the kind of anemone you have, mine did have a bright orange foot but the tentacles were very thin almost like hair.
There are lots of coral that don’t require bright lights, saving you some big bucks there. They are very pretty but need very good water conditions and lots of coral food. Because of needing so much food it pollutes the tank and more water changes are necessary, since you said you are good at water changes that may be the best route to take for you to have a reef tank. The fish you have already, can live in such a tank.
Buying bright expensive lights just for the anemone is crazy. Take the anemone back if you must have those bright lights. I am attaching a picture of a coral reef done with PC lighting. You still have to do your homework and make sure you understand how to care for each one, there are no shortcuts.
Yeah I ain't going to put any more critters in for a long while. I am about to call the lfs, and see what they say. I really hope I can exchange. That would be great.