New Strains of Ich - Beware

salt life

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3057897
I have to differ with saltlifes post I think the debate Locoyo and I are having is bringing a lot to the table and it should at least stimulate other hobbyists to get involved
I'm just saying in general and to the OP,you and locoyo are having a discusion, not an arguement. I just think this kinda crap is ridiculous in the first place because the OP always disapears and the rest of us are biting eachothers heads off.

florida joe

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/3057902
I'm just saying in general and to the OP,you and locoyo are having a discusion, not an arguement. I just think this kinda crap is ridiculous in the first place because the OP always disapears and the rest of us are biting eachothers heads off.
Point taken

spiderwoman

Has anybody gotten the *secret* info yet? He is on the board but if he hasn't responded to anybody, I'd call B S on the info. Gotta love threads like this.

meowzer

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/3057911
Has anybody gotten the *secret* info yet? He is on the board but if he hasn't responded to anybody, I'd call B S on the info. Gotta love threads like this.
I pm'd him, and have not received a response...

So what does that tell you????
JOE...how was that

cranberry

Albeit, this conversation has gotten away from the original post. But I feel this has turned into a worthwhile discussion.
Does anyone have access to online journal searches? I hate it when all I can get are abstracts and the subscriptions are just to pricey for the average Joe.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3057893
Yes ick is fatal to our fish by multiplying to such great numbers that they impact the gills or cause secondary infections. They also tax the immune system so the fish is susceptible to other illnesses Exactly Most LFS run copper or UV BUT this is only going to attack the ick parasite in a certain stage of its life cycle. Have you ever gone into a LFS to buy a fish and have the sales person say this fish is in QT for 6 weeks come back at that time I THINK NOT There are crustaceamorpha .of which within the copepods there are 10,000 species worldwide 2000 parasitic species, 90 percent of these are marine, 20 percent of these are on fish and elasmobranches and that is just the copepod species. Now add all the other parasites in the ocean and their life cycles are we foolish to think the only white spot resulting from a parasite on our fish is ICK
Once again I challenge you to show me any scientific report that the ick parasite has mutated to a point where it is resistant to copper or hypo salinity
I have not been able to take your challange as I have no such doccuments. On the other hand can you provide resent documents that prove (not opinions) that hyposalinity is still effective on Ich? I have never had fish with ich. I currently bought some that I knew had it (well with the above comments that you stated that 360 other parasite (that show as white spots on the skin of the fish) that are present in the home aquarium that are not killed via hyposalinity or copper). I did this because of the resent claims made by people on this site and other sites, that Ich does not die when treated with hyposalinity. If the fish I am treating with hypo are cured and all parasites are killed, I will assume it was Ich and hyposainity works. If the treatment does not work, than the conclusion will be harded to figure out. I say this since you are claiming that there are 360 parasites that appear on fish as white spots and are not killed by hyposalinity.
I was thinking about your previous comment about what is contributed. If I ever had something that I contribute is that (I hope anyways) people should think before reacting. Be curious and bash people for their opinions.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/3057902
I actually thanks the OP for posting this thread. He did answear my PM, and I did get the information I asked for. All I can say is that I am currently researching this information. Once I gather all I can I will make my conclusion as the product his is talking about.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3057970
Albeit, this conversation has gotten away from the original post. But I feel this has turned into a worthwhile discussion.
Does anyone have access to online journal searches? I hate it when all I can get are abstracts and the subscriptions are just to pricey for the average Joe.
It makes it difficult for the avearge person to obtain pertinant informations, doesn't it?

cranberry

How? Or maybe I should ask what part you are referring to? This discussion or the difficulty in landing articles.
Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3057977
I was thinking about your previous comment about what is contributed. If I ever had something that I contribute is that (I hope anyways) people should think before reacting. Be curious and bash people for their opinions.
Who is bashing? Questioning is not bashing. Making the claims he did naturally lead to questions. The problem is he never came back to participate in this thread. And if he understood ich so well, why did he just tell someone in another thread they can have an ich-free tank if they hypo'd or coppered for 2 weeks?

salt life

Originally Posted by locoyo386
http:///forum/post/3057982
I actually thanks the OP for posting this thread. He did answear my PM, and I did get the information I asked for. All I can say is that I am currently researching this information. Once I gather all I can I will make my conclusion as the product his is talking about.
are you gonna share it with us or are you gonna keep it a secret too? I don't thank him for anything because starting a thread claiming you know something then not sharing info about it isn't doing much. and why would he answer you but not meowzer?

deejeff442

just wondering if the op and loco are the same ?
why would loco now be hiding the documents untill he researches?
especially when he said he is no expert?
how come he reponded to loco but not meowser?
i think we need to call csi
my vote is its liquid plumber

al mc

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3057970
This is frustrating. I am a member of the largest veterinary online forum/network..VIN (veterinary information network) and when I search the aquatic section their 'experts' and explanations are one step behind Beth/Sep/Joe

mantisman51

I can tell you Florida Joe, I kept the sg at 1.008 and tested in the morning and evening. I use a scientific grade refractometer that I calibrated before starting hypo and in the middle of the four weeks of hypo with distilled water. I took 48 hours to take the sg down and left it there for four weeks and then the very first day after raising the sg, the ****** was back. The blue hoppo was the only fish with it, but it was back and I gave 100% attention and diligence to maintaining the hypo state of the water. I have spoken with the members of the Tucson reef club and many of them are experiencing a more difficult ****** in the last 6 months. These are folks who have been keeping reefs for 10-20 years. I think the OP is embelishing the story for dramatic effect and take this thread with a grain of salt and skepticism, but I followed hypo to the T and the ****** came back.I have had the fish in 1.023 sg water, treated with copper for 5 days now and the ****** is just now starting to disappear off the BHT. This ****** is vicious and doesn't die easily.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There are few knowledgeable "experts" for fish diseases and little literature available that addresses fish diseases from the science angle. Keep in mind that most people interested in fish diseases are hobbyists. There is not a big reason to invest in research for the hobby industry. Most hobbyists try to avoid even thinking about fish diseases, until they have a problem.
Fish farming throws some money into research, however, this is mostly FW.
There are a few well-known hobbyists who have taken up an interest in fish disease and they have become rather knowledgeable about it. It is these that most people have the greatest exposure to via forums and literature they publish. I have found that even the heavy-weights in the hobby, frequently are not so when it comes to fish diseases.

pezenfuego

Why would a parasite kill fish that quickly? When I get a tick, it doesn't kill me immediately because frankly that would be getting rid of its source of food and shelter.
This isn't a disease, it isn't supposed to be the thing that kills the fish. From a natural selection standpoint, this stuff probably didn't evolve right out of the ocean, it isn't fit because it kills hosts too quickly. Or did it come from the ocean? It's odd, are we to blame?