New to Forum - My 225 Gallon Tank

angelman

Originally Posted by azul1994
Wow! How do you keep the cleaner wrasse alive?
When the cleaner does die (I really don't think I have had more than five or six in the last 15 yrs, and there has always been one alive in the tank at all times), I buy a dozen and introduce them at the same time, even if no parasites in tank.
They get along for a week or so and then go at each other. Eventually, one or two survive and adapt to regular food.

angelman

The real ham of the tank with super personality (lets me touch him and literally scratch him). When he sees me, has to get my attention at all cost.

angelman

FYI for anyone interested.
I saw a thread on this forum posting tips on photography of tanks that is excellent.
Just thougth I would share how these were taken if it will help any.
Although you can do wonders today with point and shoot digital, the better the equipment the better the result.
These shots were all taken with a Nikon D80, with the 24-105 lens, with the Nikon SB800 flash (bouncing off ceiling) with the Gary Fong diffuser on the flash to soften and better distribute the light. With this diffuser, I can stand right in front of the tank and aim the camera directly at it, no having to stand to the side at all or on an angle. I am not affiliated with Gary Fong at all but do love his products and they work very well. You can find him on Google as not sure if proper to post his site/link.
The settings on the camera were full Auto for mistake free results.

kjr_trig

That full tank shot is fantastic!!!

What are your dimensions? 72x24x30 i'm guessing? Sorry if you already posted and I missed it.

angelman

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
That full tank shot is fantastic!!!

What are your dimensions? 72x24x30 i'm guessing? Sorry if you already posted and I missed it.
Thanks.
You are right on point on the dimensions.

angelman

Made a crude short video on one of my digital cameras.
Uploading it to Photobucket but taking forever.
Will try to post as soon as done.

angelman

Here is a video.
Hope it works.
Mr. Eel has not been very cooperative for photogenic.
Need to lure him out with some shrimp.

angelman

One last thing......
I just thought all should know this as this makes for a great conversation topic all the time.
New Tank Syndrome, better known as "cycling".
I believe in myth busting and going against conventional wisdom. How else does one learn?
When I set this tank up originally, the Emperor and Naso were with me.
The rest of the fish in this tank came post that.
However, I did have around 12-14 fish that I introduced into this tank from my old one (I later sold them off one by one to customers - made for good business as I sold healthy fish and gave me the opportunity to get new ones for me).
Only around three years ago did I realize enough was enough and I would stay with what I already had.
What made it easier is that my bad back forced me out of the business and I had no choice but to keep what I had.
Here is how I did it, believe it or not.
Water in tank and started it running.
Added Bacter Vital for three days.
On the fourth day, literally threw the fish in, no acclimation.
Never lost one.
Tank was fully cycled.
Since doing this to my own tank, I have set up many of my customer's tanks the same way when I had my business.
Never lost any fish.
When I do hospital tanks, I do the same thing.
Never lose new specimens.
Hope that puts a dent in the cycling theory.

If anyone decides to try it, don't use test kits as they will be skewed and give a false reading.
Go by the fish.
They will look content and fine.

C

christian07

SWEET JESUS !!! beautiful man just beautiful. maybe you can give me some lessons since we are basically in the same neighborhood once i get mine up

reefkprz

Originally Posted by AngelMan
Never lost any fish.
I DONT BELIEVE YOU. any one in this hobby who has owned fish has lost some. I have what I consider an extremly low mortality rate, but I have lost fish. there is no way in over ten years you havent lost a fish. carpet surfer etcetera. 10YEARS right...

angelman

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
I DONT BELIEVE YOU. any one in this hobby who has owned fish has lost some. I have what I consider an extremly low mortality rate, but I have lost fish. there is no way in over ten years you havent lost a fish. carpet surfer etcetera. 10YEARS right...
That is not what I said.
You have chosen to take it out of context and quote one line from a paragraph.
That line refers to the paragraph and is not a free standing sentence.
I think writing always has a way of losing translation.
Here is my direct quote, referring to "cycling" of a tank.
Here is how I did it, believe it or not.
Water in tank and started it running.
Added Bacter Vital for three days.
On the fourth day, literally threw the fish in, no acclimation.
Never lost one.
Tank was fully cycled.
Since doing this to my own tank, I have set up many of my customer's tanks the same way when I had my business.
Never lost any fish.
When I do hospital tanks, I do the same thing.
Never lose new specimens.

Of course I have lost fish.
I have lost plenty of them.
My first five years in the hobby was a disgrace.
I wish I hadn't done what I did as I knew little and spent quite a bit of money on fish only to kill them.
They die just like we do.
They get sick like we do.
What I said is that through my QT process and 4 day cycling of my main tank and that of customers, I have never lost fish.
No fish has ever died from me doing this.
I said I can dispell any myth about cycling a tank over a long period and adding fish cautiously. I have done it with no losses.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by AngelMan
When the cleaner does die (I really don't think I have had more than five or six in the last 15 yrs, and there has always been one alive in the tank at all times), I buy a dozen and introduce them at the same time, even if no parasites in tank.
They get along for a week or so and then go at each other. Eventually, one or two survive and adapt to regular food.
WHAT? now I love the fact that your running a bio system, HUGE water changes are great. ther are a lot of things you say That I LOVE......
but buying 12 and having one or two survive isnt a success, when your tank is parasite free the ones that cannot conform to a prefab diet die. thats a confirmed FAILURE. this tank is a thumb in the eye of learning husbandry. I am not saying there is nothing to be learned, I am saying buying 12 and seeing if one lives IS NOT GOOD IMO. I do not want to come off as attacking you as any Perspective in this hobby leads to a greater understanding. there is no way you can consider 2 out of 12 good. in the last 5 years I have lost 2 fire fish gobys to carpet surfing. No other fish has died under my care within the last 5 years. prior to that my purple psuedochromis did get infected with a bacterial infection and I treated then sold him. my yellow tang I sold because I only had a 45g at the time, and that is not big enough IMO.
Your tank is beautiful.
in its own way. if you have success with all of those fish long term I salute you, I just dont buy it. sorry. have a nice day I will not speak any more on this.