Nike's 34g DSA Neo-Nano

T

tracher

so you should leave the lights on for how many hours?? lol i dont need all the details

nikesb

Originally Posted by Tracher
http:///forum/post/3281984
so you should leave the lights on for how many hours?? lol i dont need all the details
troy, it would benefit you to understand these concepts, you want such an awesome tank but you dont want to understand the steps to getting to it. for a quick answer, i would say daylights shouldnt be on more than 7 hours. i would run it at 5-6 hours.

spanko

So if you had it to do over would you still purchase this tank design? Do you get much salt creep with the waterfall?

nikesb

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3282063
So if you had it to do over would you still purchase this tank design? Do you get much salt creep with the waterfall?
absolutely. I wipe away any salt creep during the water change. at max theres maybe 1cm a week that will forum right above the waterfall, the only difference i would make is the sump because the waterfall above the dt tank level is an extra 2-3 gallons. I'm working on getting a custom sump to get that fixed right now

reef champ

Nike you seem to know a good amount about keeping SPS... I'm wondering what type of salt you use and if you use any supplements? what are the most important things I need to know about keeping SPS corals? I'm really interested in getting into them. I've got a tek 4x39 w and just wondering what else I need to know

nikesb

Originally Posted by Reef Champ
http:///forum/post/3285909
Nike you seem to know a good amount about keeping SPS... I'm wondering what type of salt you use and if you use any supplements? what are the most important things I need to know about keeping SPS corals? I'm really interested in getting into them. I've got a tek 4x39 w and just wondering what else I need to know
I have been using Tropic Marin Bio Actif Salt. It contains organic carbon that feed off of nitrates and phosphates to help lower them. I only recommend this salt with a decent skimmer for the set up. As for keeping SPS, I also recommend a good a skimmer. I have only been dosing calcium and alkalinity to replace what the sps use daily. As for keeping them successfully, you should have phosphates lower than .03 ppm and of course no nitrates. Keep the SPS in a good amount of flow, and keep your bio load to a minimum if its a nano tank. SPS corals also dont really need more than 5 hours of daylight. I'm sure you have more questions and my mind is drawing blank at the moment since my skimmer pump just crapped out on me. I'm more than happy to answer them.

nissan577

Originally Posted by nikeSB
http:///forum/post/3284291
nissan! check out page 13. the other sps are there

so i saw the other pics and i must say those are some sick as zoas you got there brother
and dont sps dont even get me started on that! lol. so far bro from what has come along the tank has been coming along super!!!!!

soviettaco

Nike your photography skills are very good which leads me to believe your video camera skills would be awesome as well. Have you ever thought about picking up a HD camera? You could make some sweet stuff I'm sure.

speg

I thought I noticed (at a glance) that you had 4 toxic lavas? Are there more? How many did you start with? There is a large area of mat growing off one and I believe that'll be a new one soon. Just wondering how yours are doing.

nikesb

my first one (the one in my avatar) melted. so i went back and he cut up a four polyp frag for me and gave the chance the bid on it. ever since, it hasnt grown, been about 3 months now

speg

I wonder what the melt was caused by. I know when I was having temp issues they were one of the only coral looking BAD when the temp dropped. They're doing good now and are always the first coral to 'wake up'. I'm interested to see what the one is doing and if that area of mat will sprout a baby.
I got mine in the top of the tank in very low flow. It's so high up that when I do a water change, they stick out of the water.

nikesb

well what ive noticed thus far after toying with placement is that they turn green under lesser light, and more purple and white skirts under high light (200 ish par). the only thing with flow that ive noticed is that low flow gives them plumper skirts while higher flow made the skirts longer and thinner. I havent really checked the area of matting on my frag, but i'm leaving it alone hoping the damn thing grows haha. I have no idea what the melt was caused by, it may have been because it was just a single polyp and gary himself said that he was struggling with the single polyps too, which is why i requested the four polyp one