Nike's 34g DSA Neo-Nano

nikesb

i doubt she would. most of her corals are from ATL while this paly is exclusive to reef pets as far as i know

nikesb

pics finally!

flaming rainbows and eagle eyes

purple hornets from ncra been about 2 weeks now since i've had them

Toxic Lava People Eaters, definately one of my favorites

nikesb

bleached red planet finally starting to get some color back

acropora turaki

blue bottle brush

forest fire digitata that lost its green :[

pearlberry

acropora macrostoma

this was brown when i got it and this is how much its colored up in 3 weeks

speg

I like the red skirt ones in the first pic you posted. The "eagle eyes" is that just another name for whamming watermellon ? My WM looks just like those. Very cool stuff.

nikesb

im not too sure exactly, its a big mix up about the eagle eyes, i dont really care what theyre called haha. if you look closely, i have one polyp thats morphing into a kaleidoscope. the red skirt ones are one of my faves, heres an old pic

luvmyreef

Your tank is looking very nice!! I like the mix! You must have very nice lights to get colors to look like that! And a good camera...hahaha

nikesb

haha the colors are not only cause of my lighting, its cause of the husbandry in the tank.
thanks guys!

spanko

All those acros that are basing out over the plugs, did you buy them like that or are they growing that well?

nikesb

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3281951
All those acros that are basing out over the plugs, did you buy them like that or are they growing that well?
they were all bought after a week after they were fragged so they have developed their base in my tank. they have been growing very well. After lessening the photoperiod, their growth has increased alot.

spanko

What is your photoperiod? I am running the halides about 7 hours, the actinic LED's about an hour on each side of that, so a total of 9.

nikesb

i run my day light t5's for about 6 hours and my actinics turn on 2 hours before hand in the morning and go off an hour after my daylights, its about 9 total as well. 5 hours is my target goal for my daylights once fall is here to and ill see how well that does

spanko

So I am interested why you are cutting down on the photoperiod. Have you done some reading on photosaturation or other reasons why you are doing it?

nikesb

Yes, based upon the experiences of other reefers, the theory is that the corals (especially sps) only utilize light for a certain number of hours.Therefore giving them light longer than what they need is just a waste because they do their growing during the night. Having the light on impedes them from the "growing phase". Gaving the light on for longer periods does not benefit the corals because its no longer doing photosynthesis once it has built up the energy it needs.

nikesb

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3281970
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/vb/s...ion&highlight=
very good discussion! if you're a member of reef cent., theres a long thread on this as well there. nevertheless, lowering lights for me means cheaper tank haha. i had my uncle take note of something for me in the islands of hawaii. the way he saw it is that the corals werent getting no more of 7 hours of direct light there. so by the afternoon, the corals were getting indirect light, same in the morning. i meant to run the actinics longer after the daylights since he noticed that sun rise was faster to direct lighting than it was for sun set to wane from direct lighting if that makes any sense.