Novahobbies' 37g Seahorse Tank Journal

gemmy

My horses love the Hikari cubes. It could be that they know nothing else. Congrats on the one year mark. I think it has been a year since I started the seahorse tank build. That was a long process.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/780#post_3495425
My horses love the Hikari cubes. It could be that they know nothing else. Congrats on the one year mark. I think it has been a year since I started the seahorse tank build. That was a long process.
It's actually harder for me to get the Hikari stuff, so I have all my horses trained to the relatively large PE Mysis. They eat the smaller bits in the cubes, but I think they go for the whole shrimps with more gusto.
HEY! I got a new Pipe Organ for the horse tank tonight. I'll post pics when I come back from Sea World this weekend. I miss my last one, it didn't handle the multiple moves will and had a cyano issue I just couldn't get rid of.

flower

Quote:Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/780#post_3495449

It's actually harder for me to get the Hikari stuff, so I have all my horses trained to the relatively large PE Mysis.  They eat the smaller bits in the cubes, but I think they go for the whole shrimps with more gusto. 

HEY!  I got a new Pipe Organ for the horse tank tonight.  I'll post pics when I come back from Sea World this weekend.  I miss my last one, it didn't handle the multiple moves will and had a cyano issue I just couldn't get rid of. 

Sea World! I wish I could get there...........................Gemmy, I would at least try feeding them a different brand, just in case. I really think in the end after looking back, that Fred died because he wouldn't eat the other food. He would chase the floating mysis but then drop his head and not eat it, he acted hungry. I could just kick myself for not thinking that just because the others ate it, that it couldn't be HIS problem....................I hate the school of hard knocks.

flower

WOW! It's all open and happy, looks great....I would give you a thumbs up, but I can no longer post a smilely, seperate paragraphs, post pictures, videos or just go to New posts. For a while I couldn't post a quote. So if I disappear from the site altogether you guys will know that my ability to be on the site finally went the way of the Dodo bird. I have tried 2 different computers and even tried to rejoin...all to no avail, and I still come up with the same problem, so it's the site not my computer :(

novahobbies

Either "Third time's a charm," or "Three strikes and you're out." Take your pick, but I have a Rainford's Goby in QT right now for the horse tank. To recap:
Goby #1: Died in QT after 3 days. Pretty sure not my fault.
Goby #2: Made it through QT, introduced to the horse tank, and disappeared forever. No body, no chemical spike that I recorded, just vanished.
Goby #3: THIS is the one. He's gonna make it, I can feel it. His QT tank has tons of algae on the rock, a thin sand bed filled with copepods, and amphipods crawling everywhere.
Fingers crossed.

novahobbies

Some new pics of the Rainford's....

He seems to be doing really well. I've seen him nibbling on the algae, on the rock, and often on the statue's head. He also scoops up the sand, but of course a fish this size isn't going to "clean" your sand bed for you.

novahobbies

Deb, you're right they look almost identical in shape and behaviour. As if it's the same fish in a different suit.

novahobbies

Did a 10g water change this weekend again. My three remaining horses seem to be doing well, but I did have a scare last night when one of them snicked a bristleworm! Only partially...the worm was trying to eat the shrimp that the horse was eying. I decided to intervene and remove the worm, and the horse looks like she's fine...I didn't even see any bristles in her snout. (I got a couple in my thumb...rassinfrassin...)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/366648/novahobbies-37g-seahorse-tank-journal/780#post_3497921
Did a 10g water change this weekend again. My three remaining horses seem to be doing well, but I did have a scare last night when one of them snicked a bristleworm! Only partially...the worm was trying to eat the shrimp that the horse was eying. I decided to intervene and remove the worm, and the horse looks like she's fine...I didn't even see any bristles in her snout. (I
got a couple in my thumb...rassinfrassin...)
Wow...and it didn't hurt her??? She must have a tough little snicker...I haven't seen any bristle worms in my tanks, but I'm sure they are there. I have a serpent star in the kuda tank, so far so good it hasn't bothered the horses..

novahobbies

I guess this is the week we all check in and report our tanks, since we've all been elsewhere for so long!
Mine's doing fine. I added a frag of Xenia to mine recently. I still have the frelling super-caulerpa strain that doesn't die back, but I keep is somewhat in check with water changes and very tedious pruning sessions. My three horses are all fat and happy. The Royal Gramma is still alive (which shocks the crap out of me, I tell you!) but I think I lost the little Rainfords. I haven't seen him in a while, anyway, and if he passed I'd have no way of ever knowing...those bristleworms are efficient cleaners. The female Mandarin is equally fat and active.
Only thing that might need to be done soon is a bulb change. I think I may start saving for a CCLEDF though. It's about as expensive as a couple good bulbs, and will last longer.