Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

novahobbies

Well I am going to eliminate possible problems on my side before I start blaming others. I know Anthias are zooplankton feeders and predictably difficult to support, but as I say...these guys WERE eating LB, which is at least a little nutrition.
I'm thinking, in order of likelihood:
A problem with my QT: chemistry off, stray voltage, Dino's robbing the system of O2.
Delayed stress reaction from poor handling.
An internal pathogen.
Collection issues (cyanide, etc)
Oh well.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/60#post_3474579
Sorry to hear this.
Maybe it is best if you clean out your entire quarantine and start fresh.
This is my strong feeling as well. And, I think, exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. Even if it's NOT my QT system, the fact remains that there are dinoflagellates in the QT and the only way they're coming out is with a full breakdown.
Now, back to the build. Nothing has happened.
Last weekend was taken up by thunderstorms and a cousin's HS graduation, so the only thing that got done over the weekend is a little more lumber was purchased for the side shelves. At least I can say that most of the lumber has been purchased now, so we're moving......just slowly. I DID warn y'all that it would be a slow build!
If the weather clears out, I'll have some time to work on it this weekend. More to come!

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/60#post_3474641
This is my strong feeling as well. And, I think, exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. Even if it's NOT my QT system, the fact remains that there are dinoflagellates in the QT and the only way they're coming out is with a full breakdown.
Now, back to the build. Nothing has happened.
Last weekend was taken up by thunderstorms and a cousin's HS graduation, so the only thing that got done over the weekend is a little more lumber was purchased for the side shelves. At least I can say that most of the lumber has been purchased now, so we're moving......just slowly. I DID warn y'all that it would be a slow build!
If the weather clears out, I'll have some time to work on it this weekend. More to come!
Wow, sorry to read this. I will be following this S L O W build.

sweatervest13

Sorry about the fish. I would break down the QT and start over (which it seems like you plan on doing).
Still following the slow build. LOL

snakeblitz33

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. :bw:
Well, you could also shoot it and beat it with a stick. Eventually you do have the last say,....
Can't I keep a seahorse in a 5g hex? (true story).....

novahobbies

Well I haven't done anything with the QT tank yet....life has been getting in the way, so it's just sitting there collecting dinoflagellates and growing macroalgae. One lonely kenya coral frag is in there and still kicking, so it's sort of in a holding pattern for now.
On the other hand....some work has moved forward on the stand! After a weekend taken up with a cousin's graduation, another Week From Hell at work, and all the candy tests we're cooking up in the kitchen, I wasn't sure if I was going to have the energy to play out on the porch today....but a wild hare bit me and I got a good bit done after all.
To recap. Where I was 2 weeks ago:

I started with the center panel. Here it is, lightly tacked in place:

The finished one will have clips to hold the bottom in place, and either magnets or a latch feature with the door pulls to keep it in place on top.
The cut lumber for the two bookcases:

Bookcase 1:

(Don't worry, it's square. the right side is closer to the camera.)
Because I just couldn't resist the urge - I put it back and took a picture of the first one on the base unit:

And the second one:

I pulled all the side pieces away, took the bookcases outside, and got to work on the trim pieces of the actual tank stand:

I didn't feel the need to miter or add another piece of trim to the back of the cabinet sides. This is never going to be seen, and even if I take the rest of the stand apart, the flat edges give this more of a built-in feel. Or at least that's my story.
Once I was done admiring my mediocre skills, I took the bookcases and added the facing trim to them. 1 1/4"x1/2" S4S, simply mitered to match the rest of the trim on the stand. Once that was done, back to the stand they went:

Getting there. I will probably add a S4S ledge around the tank once the actual tank is in place. Doors still need to be hinged and put in place. And of course the whole thing needs a good sanding and pretreatment before staining. Honestly though...this is probably where the project will stall out until I get back from Hawaii after June 12th. I MAY get the shelves installed next weekend, but that's probably it.

novahobbies

Thanks, man! One more pic:

Little less blurry, and I had a piece of scrap across the top to check for level. I noticed it looked pretty good and sort of defined the whole unit, so I left it there for now. The actual hood is going to be just a couple inches higher than the two bookcases, anyway.
(Level, BTW. Go me....)

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/60#post_3475476
Thanks, man! One more pic:

Little less blurry, and I had a piece of scrap across the top to check for level. I noticed it looked pretty good and sort of defined the whole unit, so I left it there for now. The actual hood is going to be just a couple inches higher than the two bookcases, anyway.
(Level, BTW. Go me....)
WOW, its amazing how the little scrap piece across the top ties the whole thing together. The previous pic looks totally different, but with that little piece across the top I can really see the whole project. Nice work!!
Enjoy Hawaii BTW.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/60#post_3475569
WOW, its amazing how the little scrap piece across the top ties the whole thing together. The previous pic looks totally different, but with that little piece across the top I can really see the whole project.
I felt the same way about it! LOL I'm keeping it there until the tank gets moved....somehow it makes ME feel like there's more there than there actually is.