Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

novahobbies

Thanks. It's not much, but even that little bit o' progress made me happy. I'm over the novelty of seeing the half-completed stand in the living room. I'm really looking forward to seeing this project finished.
Ear isn't any better today, but it's never an instant fix. I'm sure I'll be up and running come next week.

novahobbies

Small progress today. Ear infection is blooming, so I'm not doing a whole heck of a lot. But I *did* get the birch laminate banding applied to the cabinets and cabinet doors today. Gotta get to Lowes tomorrow; I couldn't find my sanding block!

novahobbies

Thanks. Real Life has been intruding, so the build had to slow down. Doom Room is being cleaned and prepped for the wood floor in there, and I think The Wife would be happier if the floor was finished before I started messing up the porch to stain the stand. So I'll be focusing on that for a little bit. Maybe getting some sanding in from time to time, though.
Right now we're waiting out the storm here. Can't do much outside when it's pouring. Tomorrow might be drier.

S

siptang

Dang dude... I have tons of things to do in my tank too... I have been too busy with work, wife's birthday and just everything in life that I haven't been able to properly care for my tank...
I will post my updates later as well. You should come by when you finish with yours later and I will donate few corals to you to start off your tank!
Richard.

novahobbies

Productive weekend. Got a whole bunch of work in the doom room done, the rest of the boxes up into the attic, the floor laid, and a lot of cleaning done. My guest room isn't DONE done, but it's finally ready for...you know...an actual guest now! The beadboard wainscoting seen here will be finished with a molding border on top and simple baseboard on the bottom...it's just in place to get an idea of how it looks.

And yes...finally got a little more work on the stand. Staining is commencing.

It's been a LONG time since I've done any staining. As is pretty darned evident. But on the other hand, I started with the stuff that will be on the far side (and I'll be sanding down between coats) so it won't be as obvious. The second door panel is also done and is much more even-coated.
No picture of it, but the back of the tank also got spray painted blue today. After debating with myself about if I should do a 3D "distance" thing, I decided it was too much work for the small area that's actually viewable, and went with the old opaque standby. Much easier this way.
Finally......Dinner.

novahobbies

Man, it's hot out over here. Not completely terrible yet, but definitely hot enough to make staining difficult. I sanded these pieces down with some 220 last night; maybe I'll be able to do the second thinned coat tonight.
I found myself at the LFS yesterday, also. ALMOST bought a $7.00 Royal Gramma for the 20g "QT" tank. Almost. I'm a known Royal Gramma killer though...almost as bad as FloridaJoe...so I passed. Trouble is, I find myself thinking of that fish today also -- and the LFS is 5 minutes from my work.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/120#post_3481073
Man, it's hot out over here. Not completely terrible yet, but definitely hot enough to make staining difficult. I sanded these pieces down with some 220 last night; maybe I'll be able to do the second thinned coat tonight.
I found myself at the LFS yesterday, also. ALMOST bought a $7.00 Royal Gramma for the 20g "QT" tank. Almost. I'm a known Royal Gramma killer though...almost as bad as FloridaJoe...so I passed. Trouble is, I find myself thinking of that fish today also -- and the LFS is 5 minutes from my work.

I love the Gramma. She reallt adds alot of personality to the tank. Go for it!

S

siptang

Put something over the tank to prevent the surfing..
It's not bad for you? It's stinking hot for me lol.
I just added a rbta... I will let you know how that goes. :/