obama speach

deejeff442

my friends wife works for amr .he said they will be cutting her salery 20,000 as of april first.so where are all these jobs obama keeps saying ?mcdonalds

reefraff

Read an article a while ago that touted our "Strong job growth". Seriously? The numbers are looking better but they aren't even in the same time zone as strong.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3456957
Read an article a while ago that touted our "Strong job growth". Seriously? The numbers are looking better but they aren't even in the same time zone as strong.
Only those who worship President Obama are going to believe that. Saying "Strong Job Growth" is a bald faced lie.

ironeagle2006

I used to be in the Transportation Industry as an OTR Driver. I asked around with my old Contacts and frineds of mine that are still Drivers how miles for them are Holding out. The answers I got scare the CRAP out of me. Flatbed freight aka Building Materiels like Steel Lumber and stuff like that are DOWN 15-20% from LAST YEAR. Dry Van freight is DOWN about 5% but foodstuffs are up but them again we all have to eat. The big kicker is in the Refrigatated side they are DOWN 5% from last year the Frozen side is down 10% over last year the portion that is down is Ice Cream and stuff like that.
What has fallen off a Cliff however is Chemical Traffic like Plastics and other stuff like that a company near me is down 20% over where they were just LAST YEAR. So if this economy is IMPROVING I do not know WHERE IT IS. Also Freight Rates are down loads that last year where paying 2.50 a mile plus a 35 cent a mile Fuel Surcharge to help cover the cost of Fuel are NOW barely paying 2 Bucks a mile INCLUDING THE SURCHARGE. That is a 30% drop in Rates and drivers and Companies are taking it to hopefully get to a better rate location and not getting it.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3457372
I used to be in the Transportation Industry as an OTR Driver. I asked around with my old Contacts and frineds of mine that are still Drivers how miles for them are Holding out. The answers I got scare the CRAP out of me. Flatbed freight aka Building Materiels like Steel Lumber and stuff like that are DOWN 15-20% from LAST YEAR. Dry Van freight is DOWN about 5% but foodstuffs are up but them again we all have to eat. The big kicker is in the Refrigatated side they are DOWN 5% from last year the Frozen side is down 10% over last year the portion that is down is Ice Cream and stuff like that.
What has fallen off a Cliff however is Chemical Traffic like Plastics and other stuff like that a company near me is down 20% over where they were just LAST YEAR. So if this economy is IMPROVING I do not know WHERE IT IS. Also Freight Rates are down loads that last year where paying 2.50 a mile plus a 35 cent a mile Fuel Surcharge to help cover the cost of Fuel are NOW barely paying 2 Bucks a mile INCLUDING THE SURCHARGE. That is a 30% drop in Rates and drivers and Companies are taking it to hopefully get to a better rate location and not getting it.
Part of that is the time of year. The economy is turning but it's going to take a long time to come back. I don't know that we'll see the 4.5% rates of the Bush era unless we make a major change. The ability to use home equity as a credit card is history and with nothing to replace that cash flow a consumer based economy isn't going to be as strong.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3457384
The ability to use home equity as a credit card is history and with nothing to replace that cash flow a consumer based economy isn't going to be as strong.
Yes, and not being able to use your home as equity may actually be the only good thing that comes out of this whole financial meltdown we've experienced.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3457447
Yes, and not being able to use your home as equity may actually be the only good thing that comes out of this whole financial meltdown we've experienced.
I predict we will go out of the frying pan and into the fire when it becomes OK to pull money out of your 401K or other retirement without penalty. Just a prediction.

deejeff442

the taxes in this country are going to skyrocket soon.they will tell us our personal taxes wont go up but,they will wipe out most deductions and add taxes to everything we buy ,sell or lease .
its going to get scary.

bionicarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle2006 http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3457372
I suppose diesel running around $4.00/gallon has nothing to do with it...

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3457447
I've argued with a liberal friend here about that for a couple years. He thought we should spend whatever it took to prop up housing prices so people would stay in homes they were upside down on rather than walk away from the loan. My thought on it was make it easier for banks to hound people who walk on loans so people understand they are paying the note anyway so they might as well stay in the house.

reefraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3457466
I predict we will go out of the frying pan and into the fire when it becomes OK to pull money out of your 401K or other retirement without penalty. Just a prediction.
I don't know about that. I am disabled so I could already pull my money out without the penalty if I wanted to. I don't see the point. Tax free interest, cap gains and dividends is a pretty sweet deal.

slice

I'm not a fan of social engineering in any form.
I certainly don't like paying my mortgage on time every month when others might get their premiums reduced as a reward for poor judgement.
Like so many policies lately, this is upside down and backwards.

ironeagle2006

The Retail Stores should be Getting ready for Memorial day already with New Grills and stuff like that coming in THEY HAVE ENOUGH LEFT OVER FROM LAST YEAR they did not ORDER ANY FOR THIS YEAR. Wrong the Slow season for Trucking is Dec and Jan for Flatbeds by Feb Manufactoring is picking up and Refrigarated NEVER SLOWS down as people NEVER stop eating and that is DOWN on its own. So where is the Frieght. I have a real close freind that is a 55% owner of a mid sized trucking company he told me that HIS volumes are down 30% over a 12 Month Period and they haul Dry Vans Liquid and Peumatic Tanks. BTW they are the 3 in size employeer in my town with over 300 PEOPLE. They run over 220 Trucks and he is worried he is NOT replacing equipment right now the rates and Volume of freight is not there. This company hates to have anything older than 3 years old in their Fleet. That tell you anything. When a company that hates to have Older equipment is HORDING cash and he flat out said he is there is something going on.
Here is all the Saftey equipment he puts in his trucks Elogs Eaton Vorads collison Avoidance Systems and he runs Disc Brakes on all 3 axles of his tractors drums on his Trailers. He is not cutting driver pay but has hedged Fuel cost buying as much fuel in advance as he could get his hands on at a major chain. Also he signed all his Major customers to locked in Contracts with major Breaking clauses. Then he put on hold a Shop and Terminal Expansion and Warehouse Expansion. This Company started 51 years ago with 1 3 ton Dump truck and now has 220 Company units plus 60 Owner Operators in it. They are scared CRAPLESS right now and I in 20+ years have NEVER SEEN THIS MAN OR HIS FATHER THIS SCARED.

slice

I talk to a lot of small business owners in my line of work and "scared crapless" is a common sentiment.

reefraff

Most business people don't want to see 0bama re elected which is why they are crapless. It wouldn't be good but wont be the end of the world either. Hopefully the Republicans can take back the Senate. At least that way congressional bills will make it to the senate floor for a vote.

zman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscardeuce http:///t/390117/obama-speach#post_3453055
When you have the media backing you up with "facts" the sheeple will follow....
When you have 47% paying no federal income and the bottom 50% pay only 3% the sheeple will follow....
When foodstamps are at an all time high the sheeple will follow....
When you can sit at home, drink beer, watch reality TV and have relations with everyone you want while a few work the sheeple wil follow...
When you have no responsibility, or consequence the sheeple will follow..........
We have become exactly what the Founding Fathers feared most...... dependant not INDEPENDANT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicarm http:///t/390117/obama-speach/40#post_3453606
You just described the Tea Party. Congratulations.
You left out another despicable group that makes up the majority of the lazy American in the 47% that pay no taxes.
They are known to us depending on our age as: Dad, Mom, Grandpa, or Grandma. The ones on Social
Security and company retirement plans. Lets not leave out the disabled, too
Get back to work you lazy Americans….

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman1 http:///t/390117/obama-speach/100#post_3459541
You left out another despicable group that makes up the majority of the lazy American in the 47% that pay no taxes.
They are known to us depending on our age as: Dad, Mom, Grandpa, or Grandma. The ones on Social
Security and company retirement plans. Lets not leave out the disabled, too
Get back to work you lazy Americans….
Thank you for saying this....35+ years....I earned my retirement money, I paid my taxes all the while, now I can be lazy, and watch all the TV I want.... Oscardeuce
I get a discount at some resturants too.

deejeff442

i have never agreed with the repubs that 47% dont pay taxes.there is no way.if you include all the people on ss and disability i would think even then its more like 10-15% where did they come up with 47% ? cant trust either side anymore

zman1

It's in the 21% - 22% range (55 million (SS) of what is outside the 200 million referred to as Adult 15 - 65.) Perhaps 47% is including infants and up, out of 311 million total.