Officially joined the hobby today!!!

florida joe

Dean I will tell you how I deal with placing the sand and water into a new set up. This is just how I do it and I post it as something you can consider not what you must do.
Once I get the tables and rocks in their final spot I place the sand I am going to use up to about ½ of a 5 gallon bucket. I then take the bucket outside and use a hose to slowly fill the bucket with water. I gently stir the sand releasing the sediment. I let the bucket overflow slowly removing as much of the sediment as I can. When I think the water is fairly clean I pour all the water out and bring in the bucket. I use a 5 cup measuring cup and transfer the sand from the bucket to the tank. I repeat this procedure until all the sand in in place. At this point I usually just use newspaper but Beth did not like the idea of using news print in a tank. What you can do is go to your local supermarket and buy parchment paper; it comes packaged like wax paper. I place pieces of the paper over the sand. I weigh down the paper with anything I have handy (unused pvc pieces).
I now start filling the tank slowly with fresh saltwater. When I have the tank full I let it settle for a short period of time then slowly remove the paper.
Again I must say this is just how I do it and not how it must be done

gcgrad

That's a good technique Joe. I presume the paper keeps the sand from splashing around and mixing around with the water. Hince the water will have a cleaner look due the the minimal disruption of the sand bed.

L

livebait58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/140#post_3358598
That's a good technique Joe. I presume the paper keeps the sand from splashing around and mixing around with the water. Hince the water will have a cleaner look due the the minimal disruption of the sand bed.
I have seen people use a dinner plate for that same purpose. Can't speak from experience as I'm such a noob that I haven't even set up a tank yet. I'm just sayin.... lol :)

gcgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveBait58 http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/140#post_3358696
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad
http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/140#post_3358598
I have seen people use a dinner plate for that same purpose. Can't speak from experience as I'm such a noob that I haven't even set up a tank yet. I'm just sayin.... lol :)
Come to think of it, I could use the glass baffles that weren't cut the correct lengths for that purpose. I have 4 pieces and together they should cover most of the area of the DT.

florida joe

IMO you are better served with the paper, you want to try to cover as much of the exposed area of sand as you can

2quills

Would a single piece of cardboard cut to size work for this type of application? It's a paper product. Just currious.

gcgrad

Currently looking at Bio-Active Live Aragonite Samoa Pink Reef Sand. Bags are sold at 20lbs and it says use no less than 1lb per gallon. I'm going for a 2" sand bed(tank is 48" long x 13" wide). I don't know how much 20 lbs will cover in terms of surface area. Would I really need to purchase 3 20lb bags? Also keep in mind that I will have a refugium that is about 8" long x 13" high. This would require a 6" sand bed I presume.

2quills

According to the substrate calculator you're looking at needing approximately 47lbs for your 55G tank for a 2" bed. I calculated it using 48" x 12" dimensions since that's what my 55g tanks dimensions are. So 60lbs is a safe bet.

2quills

10/4...I'd deffinately go with 60lbs unless you can find some 25lb bags of the stuff you're looking for. I used the GARF sandbed calculator which is used to determine the amount of aragonite substrate needed for tanks so it should be a fairly accurate estimate.

florida joe

Quote:
Would a single piece of cardboard cut to size work for this type of application? It's a paper product. Just currious.
Cory I prefer paper because it gives me the flexibility to go up the sides of the tank also I can go over some smaller rocks if I don’t want to cut out around them. Again just a personal preference

gcgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinity http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/140#post_3359512
This is awesome. I'm learning so much Thankyou
Me too divinity! Most everything I learn comes right from these awesome people!
Anyone heard good things about Sybon Refractometer w/ Automatic Temp Compensation? Just trying to figure out why this one is $50 and some other brands are almost $100 when they look identical! Except the more expensive one says "Hand Held", as if the cheaper one is not hand held.lol

gcgrad

Ok. After attempting to reseal the baffles, there are still leaks in the same two places I tried to patch up. Very discouraging but I guess I will have to try again. Here is a pick.

The 1st and 3rd baffle from the right are both leaking still. I filled the left compartment full, no leaks. While filling up the right compartment noticed water flowing into the middle. As the water in the middle slowly started rising the bubble trap on the left began filling up. Very frustrating but I can just try it again. What's really frustrating is that I have to buy another tube of the silicone to patch up these two places. Still a work in progress I guess.

gcgrad

Well guys, there is the possibility of some fairly significant change taking place in my build. After thinking further about a 55 it seems like I just won't be satisfied with the size. So after searching Craigslist, I have stumbled upon a 125 gal tank+black stand listed for $295. This seems like a deal breaker IMO. Currently checking in with the guy and if all goes well, I may have a 125 gal tank+stand this wkd!!! Any thoughts?

gemmy

You will not have any regrets with going with a larger tank, IMO. I have a 55 and I hate it. I can never get the tank the way that I want.