Officially joined the hobby today!!!

2quills

Yeah odds are if you're like most of us then you're going to want to go bigger on down the road. Why not just do it right from the beginning. The 20g sump is probably going to be a little small for a 125g display though. You can always pick up a second 20g tank and turn it into a fuge if you like and just modify the other one for a larger skimmer.
And yes, ask as many questions as you can about the tank. Age, how long has it been since it's held water, how has it been stored...etc.

acrylic51

Can be somewhat risky buying a used tank already empty.... I'd ask him to fill the tank prior to checking it out. If not would be a bargaining tool on price IMHO.
As far as your disappointment in the sump; don't be... Did you try cutting the leaking baffles out and cleaning and reinstalling? Not majorly important that they are water tight, but could be a hinder down the road if your trying to do some mod or rework that requires that area to be dry, but there's ways around that. I prefer any time I install a baffle to separate that it be water tight. I say that in the event your bulkheads would be in the middle section, if you needed to change out the bulkhead you'd have issues with water seeping to the middle section. Just my thoughts though!!!

sweatervest13

Man... This is starting to be a monster thread. It took me like an hour and a half to get caught up on.
Dean, real nice work so far. I am definetly going to follow this one.
I would say get the bigger tank. I have not heard many people saying that they wish their tank were smaller.
Keep up the good work!!

gcgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3360891
How old is the tank, is he guaranteeing its water tight. If it leaks do you have any recourse?
In the ad he claims that he has had the tank for a few years with no cracks or damage to it. He also says that there were clownfish in it until a few days ago. His reasoning for selling it is that he is moving out of the country this summer and needs to downsize. I called him and left a voicemail right after I saw the ad. Didn't here back so the next day I texted asking if it was for sell. He simply replied yes and I followed up that I would purchase for listed price assuming no water damage to the stand. Haven't heard anything back since yesterday. He's not being very responsive so I don't have my hopes up. I'm not going to do business with people who make it near impossible to communicate with. I would think people selling would be eager to get rid of it, so hopefully he'll start taking interest.

gcgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3360894
Yeah odds are if you're like most of us then you're going to want to go bigger on down the road. Why not just do it right from the beginning. The 20g sump is probably going to be a little small for a 125g display though. You can always pick up a second 20g tank and turn it into a fuge if you like and just modify the other one for a larger skimmer.
And yes, ask as many questions as you can about the tank. Age, how long has it been since it's held water, how has it been stored...etc.
Well the sump/fuge is a 29 gal tank. But the way I have it setup it probably holds only 20 gal or so.

gcgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3360914
Can be somewhat risky buying a used tank already empty.... I'd ask him to fill the tank prior to checking it out. If not would be a bargaining tool on price IMHO.
As far as your disappointment in the sump; don't be... Did you try cutting the leaking baffles out and cleaning and reinstalling? Not majorly important that they are water tight, but could be a hinder down the road if your trying to do some mod or rework that requires that area to be dry, but there's ways around that. I prefer any time I install a baffle to separate that it be water tight. I say that in the event your bulkheads would be in the middle section, if you needed to change out the bulkhead you'd have issues with water seeping to the middle section. Just my thoughts though!!!
I haven't tried that yet Shawn. I only tried to apply somemore silicone but cutting them out is an option. However with a 125 gal possibly in the picture then a larger sump/fuge design may commence. Right now that's just talk though.

2quills

You can purchase a brand new one for that price - the stand. I'd prefere building my own stand anyways. Depending on how nice you want it to be you could build one for around $100-$200 for something basic yet respectable.

gcgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3360963
Man... This is starting to be a monster thread. It took me like an hour and a half to get caught up on.
Dean, real nice work so far. I am definetly going to follow this one.
I would say get the bigger tank. I have not heard many people saying that they wish their tank were smaller.
Keep up the good work!!
Thanks sweatervest! I'm still trying to figure things out so far from the payoff stage of this hobby. Interesting username. Demitri Martin has a pretty good joke about sweatervests. "Threre's all kinds of vests, and they serve as protection. A lifevest protects you from drowning. A bullet-proof vests protects you from getting shot. And a sweatervest protects you from pretty girls." lol

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3361057
Thanks sweatervest! I'm still trying to figure things out so far from the payoff stage of this hobby. Interesting username. Demitri Martin has a pretty good joke about sweatervests. "Threre's all kinds of vests, and they serve as protection. A lifevest protects you from drowning. A bullet-proof vests protects you from getting shot. And a sweatervest protects you from pretty girls." lol
LOL.... HAHA... Not too bad. I will have to remember that one. It is starting to make sense why my wife makes me wear one... LOL.

florida joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3361055
You can purchase a brand new one for that price - the stand. I'd prefere building my own stand anyways. Depending on how nice you want it to be you could build one for around $100-$200 for something basic yet respectable.
One of the things I would do if starting over is to build my own stand. I have yet to see a store bought stand that has enough access to under tank equipment. So I definitely agree with Corey

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgrad http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3361403
hmmm... all things are being considered right now
It's a pretty rewarding experience. I purchased my first saltwater tank online from a couple that I found on craiglist. Had I known then what I know now I would have started from scratch in the first place because I ended up tearing it all down and starting from scratch anyway. Agreed with Joe, the manufactured stands just aren't built with reef hobbiest in mind. They leave little to no room to install sumps and other equipment. Building your own lets you customize it your way from the ground up. Once I get going on my build again I'll have to get you to stop by my thread and check it out. Been too busy lately with moving to the new house and all to do much to it lately. It's for my 120G, I'm making an oversized stand to incorporate a custom 69G sump and some other equipment.
Hope you don't mind, I don't want to be a thread hijacker here but this is what I'm working on.

florida joe

Corey are you really going to go with that make shift stand.
its a good think the smileys are not working because there would be twelve following my statement with bow downs

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3361422
Corey are you really going to go with that make shift stand.
its a good think the smileys are not working because there would be twelve following my statement with bow downs
haha. Yeah, unfortunately I have to much time and cash invested into it to turn back now so I guess I'm stuck with it. (insert banging head on brick wall smiley) Thanks, Joe.
Dean: Shawn (Acryilic51) has a real nice build that he's working on now. If you get a chance perhaps you could check out his 415G plywood tank build thread. May help give you some ideas as well. You seem like a pretty handy and smart guy so I'm sure you could make one, no prob.

gcgrad

Ha. Thanks Corey! I'm not the most hands on person but I do know a thing or to. I'll be sure to check it out. And never been thread hijacked before so that would be a first. By all means do as you please! It's a thread, no big deal.lol

gcgrad

Alright guys and gals, just bought a 125 gal tank w/ twin internal overflows (drilled). Also came with it was the stand, the gate valves for the plumbing, bulkheads, two very large submersible pumps (not sure the parameters but they dwarf my mag 5), brand new titanium heater and maxijet 1200, a refractometer (as well as couple hydrometers), reef pro 100 filter assembly (not sure about this but it came w/ it), and a bucket of instant ocean salt mix. I will post pics soon but I'm pretty excited! They may be a few other items I forgot to mention. I have this 29 gallon sump/fuge that I was going to use for the 55. Now I am thinking of ways in which I may use the sump as well as the reef pro to get the recommended water volume under the tank. I know you all will help me out tremendously with advice!!!

gcgrad

Ok here are some pics. Couldn't get a pic with the hole tank and stand because right now it's sitting with the front facing a wall. But I was able to take some pics of the overflow setup as well as some equipment.

Here is a pick of one of the corner overflows and the bulkheads.

Above is where the plumbing starts. These were attached directly to the bulkheads. Each drain line had 1 3/4" hose and the return had 1" hose. The drain lines converged at a "T" where they then drained into this Amiracle Reef Pro Wet/Dry filter system w/ filter sock and bioballs as seen below.

The water entered the left side into the filter sock, there was a pump inside this compartment which pumped water up into this protein skimmer. The water ran over the wall and through the bio balls, through the filter sponge and into the last compartment. There is a bulkhead here where the return pump was attached to pump the water back to the tank as seen below.

Clearly the pump is not attached but you get the picture. This was how the guy had it all setup. Obviously this is an older setup. Ignore the equipment in the last compartment, it doesn't go there I just had it there for storage. Now I'm not too interested in using this setup as is. I haven't heard good things about bioballs, don't like the filter sock, sponge filter, and not too keen on the protein skimmer. Now you all have seen the sump/fuge that I have already built (but still leaks). Here it is again.

Reminder that the protein skimmer was going in the left, return pump in the center, and fuge on the right. Now here are my initial thoughts on all of this. The 29 gal sump/fuge is a little on the small side for the 125 gallon tank I just purchased. So to get the adequate amount of flow I'm thinking about using both the sump I built and the Amiracle filter system. However, I won't be using the Amiracle as it was designed. Initially I'm thinking about running both drain lines to the protein skimmer in my sump. Then using my mag 5 (which is not a sufficient return pump on such a large system) to pump water to the Amiracle which can be setup as a fuge. I could use the left compartment as a fuge w/ a deep sand bed and remove all the bioballs, filter sponge, filter sock, protein skimmer. Hook the return pump up to the bulkhead and pump the water back to the DT. Although having the return pump not submersed and sitting directly on the stand seems unusual to me. But that is how this setup was run back then in the pre-sump era. I'm sure you all will have interesting modification or overhauls. I'm open to all ideas. I understand that setting up a 55 gal as a sump and fuge may be much simpler. But I don't know if I should just utilized what I have or just throw this Amiracle away. Thanks for taking a look.
P.S. Here is the bucket of salt I was given.

2quills

Looks good! If you modified the Amiracle you could still use it for something. Maybe make a fuge out of or even just use it for the extra water volume factor if you want. What size it that pump? It looks like a Quiet One pump. They sell them at the big chain pet stores.

gcgrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///forum/thread/383014/officially-joined-the-hobby-today/160#post_3363223
Looks good! If you modified the Amiracle you could still use it for something. Maybe make a fuge out of or even just use it for the extra water volume factor if you want. What size it that pump? It looks like a Quiet One pump. They sell them at the big chain pet stores.
It is a quiet one pump. Not sure exactly what the rating is but it is a quiet one brand.