Ok its a freshwater tank, but I wanna share.

socalnano24

Originally Posted by tpnel
http:///forum/post/3249581
LOOKS GREAT! I have 3 FW planted tanks, and have gone the DIY yeast CO2 route before... let's just say I quickly ditched the stinky 2 liter bottles for Flourish Excel. IMO it works better and none of the hassle. Once your nitrates are down check into some Amano shrimp. Best FW cuc! They are amusing to watch and eat algae better then anything I've tried.
Thank you!
Yeah I use flourish excel for liquid carbon, it's great. At the moment I don't see any reason to change to anything else. In addition I also dose Kent Marine Freshwater Plant K-Fe (pottasium and iron supplement)
Amano shrimp, I've never heard of those before, it looks similar to ghost shrimp. I'll have to check it out

socalnano24

Ok so I had some luck with finding a tank; found a 15 long, (compared to this being a 15 tall), so I decided to do a little upgrade. Plus my Bosemani has grown and could use a little more length in the tank.
This tank is a 12.5 x 12.5 x 24" long 15, compared to the previous tank which was a 10" x 18" x 20" 15 Tall. This hsould give me some better surface area and more room for swiming.

I'm in the process of getting a 5lb CO2 tank for dosing. Anyways here's some progress pictures. The plants are still in disaray; I need to reset them in the substrate and clean off the dust from the clay substrate of Flourite. But you get the idea

I also got a tank mount for the lights, which I think works alot better; and looks great. I'll keep you guys updated as I finishing my aquascaping.

hunt

really cool fish, really takes me back to freshwater days. I had the same 29g tank with my favorite, the orange saverum, then a pearl and yellow gourami, a pleco, and 4-5 silver dollors. I know it was way over stocked but we actually maintaned it very well.

mrdc

Nice tank. I had freshies for about 15 years before I could afford to get into the salt hobby.

flower

I had forgotten how lovely freshwater tanks are, I really like the plants the way you have them in there...my ONLY problem with my freshwater tank was the vacuuming the gravel and cleaning up the algae off the ornaments. That’s why I LOVE saltwater CUCs...LOL

mrdc

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3286805

my ONLY problem with my freshwater tank was the vacuuming the gravel and cleaning up the algae off the ornaments.
I remember hating to do that kind of work also.

I have couple of fresh water tanks. One is 50G Discus tank, and another 25G Flower-horn tank. Now Im fascinated towards saltwater fishes, studying and reading a lot abt them before I setup the aquarium!
Flower, I like your advices thanks a lot :)

flower

Originally Posted by mooseythemoron
http:///forum/post/3289135
I have couple of fresh water tanks. One is 50G Discus tank, and another 25G Flower-horn tank. Now Im fascinated towards saltwater fishes, studying and reading a lot abt them before I setup the aquarium!
Flower, I like your advices thanks a lot :)

I have never regretted going to a saltwater tank. The critters do the work of cleaning the sand and rocks. I do partial water changes and learn about the life in the sea...No matter how much you read and study, hands on is the teacher…
You also have the help of all the folks on this site, believe me that’s a real plus in your favor. Money was always my issue, I didn’t get my saltwater tank until the children were grown.

wangotango

(sigh) the simple days...
Tank looks good. I've got an empty tank laying around that I might do discus with.

beaslbob

Just a FWIW I have had FW planted tanks that have ran for up to 8 years with descendants of the original cycle fish. first tank started in '79.
Literally nothing more then the tank, substrate, plants, fish, and light.
No water changes just top offs with untreated tap water.
No mechanical filters, no circulation not even an air stone, no heaters just the tank in a room comfortable to humans.
And no ferts added or co2.
And in many cities in the US as I was transferred during my air force career.
So it was not some super high quality local tap water either.
Just a balanced, Leiden or whatever setup.
So I kinda am amazed at all the high tech stuff people use.
But that's just me.
and my .02

socalnano24

Originally Posted by Hunt
http:///forum/post/3286766
really cool fish, really takes me back to freshwater days. I had the same 29g tank with my favorite, the orange saverum, then a pearl and yellow gourami, a pleco, and 4-5 silver dollors. I know it was way over stocked but we actually maintaned it very well.
Very cool. Yeah I think mine is slightly overstocked (I've actually been taking out some of my striped danios and putting them in my pond in the back yard!), but I think the plants take care of some of the excess nitrates so it works out in the long run.
Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3286793
Nice tank. I had freshies for about 15 years before I could afford to get into the salt hobby.
Thanks dc.... I've had this tank up and running in some from since I was 5. Granted this is the third aquarium, but it still probably has the original bacteria culture from back in the day since I Haven't ever had to restart the tank.
Originally Posted by Flower

http:///forum/post/3286805

I had forgotten how lovely freshwater tanks are, I really like the plants the way you have them in there...my ONLY problem with my freshwater tank was the vacuuming the gravel and cleaning up the algae off the ornaments. That’s why I LOVE saltwater CUCs...LOL
Hi flower, yes it is a different contrast from coral with the lush green colors; and the lack of a CUC is a bitch; I had some amano shrimp for a while but they all passed.
Originally Posted by WangoTango

http:///forum/post/3289204
(sigh) the simple days...
Tank looks good. I've got an empty tank laying around that I might do discus with.
Sweet, I've heard that you need like a 65 gallon tank for discus to be happy. and I think that you need a heater to keep it around 80, good luck!
Anyways here's a new picture

socalnano24

I think I need to use my other camera instead of my iphone more often; dang thats a huge clarity and color difference from the previous ones

socalnano24

Alright so I've been pondering getting a co2 injection system for this tank. Then I decided to try an experiment; I'm using carbonated water hooked up to a tube and then into an airstone in the tank. I'm curious to see how long bubbles will come out. There's a suprisingly huge amount of pressure developed. Because I have the nozzle throttled down to about 12% of the max bubbles that will come out in order to prolong the output.

Has anyone tried this before; heard anything about it as an option? The bottle of CO2 injected spring water was a buck. Figured it was worth checking out. (oh and don't worry already checked; theres no sugars or preservatives etc. just water and Co2.)
I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

al&burke

Nice tank, I too have a planted tank 35 gallon. I love this set up as well, I did the DIY CO2 and I think it works great, also have amano shrimp they work great, they say you can put a whole bunch in, also nerite snails work really well, I would maybe stay away from Siamese algea eaters, they eat algae when they are young but apperently they get very aggresive when they get older. Try the yeast and sugar CO2 - just keep an eye on your pH and KH - there are charts on the internent that can tell you what your CO2 ppm is from your pH and KH readings - it should be around 30 ppm. What I did was, the line from the bottle with the water sugar and yeast i connected it to an upside down Mag PH, on the inlet to the little pump I put a sponge. It seems to be working very well. The amano shrimp are excellent someone on this site mentioned them once and I tried them, I have four in my 35 and plan on getting more. Your tank looks great - good to hear from other people on this forum about FW planted tanks. I am looking to get a 65 gallon that is on the craiglist - want to get some Discus. I will PM you a really good forum for planted tanks. Maybe I will post some pictures later.
Al