Ok its a freshwater tank, but I wanna share.

al&burke

Bang Guy, never seen one of these pleco's - what kind is it - beautiful fish - nice tank - I assume it is yours

meowzer

What do you guys use for lighting? I just have the standard lights that come with the tanks on my FW

socalnano24

I use a JBJ 65W PC 6500K
Bang Guy; your tank looks pretty large; got a FTS? How many gallons? Nice looking Pleco agreed

bang guy

A mutant Red Cherry Shrimp. That's my best guess. I've never had any other type of shrimp and then that one showed up.

socalnano24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///forum/thread/370025/ok-its-a-freshwater-tank-but-i-wanna-share/20#post_3319754
Nice tank, I too have a planted tank 35 gallon. I love this set up as well, I did the DIY CO2 and I think it works great, also have amano shrimp they work great, they say you can put a whole bunch in, also nerite snails work really well, I would maybe stay away from Siamese algea eaters, they eat algae when they are young but apperently they get very aggresive when they get older. Try the yeast and sugar CO2 - just keep an eye on your pH and KH - there are charts on the internent that can tell you what your CO2 ppm is from your pH and KH readings - it should be around 30 ppm. What I did was, the line from the bottle with the water sugar and yeast i connected it to an upside down Mag PH, on the inlet to the little pump I put a sponge. It seems to be working very well. The amano shrimp are excellent someone on this site mentioned them once and I tried them, I have four in my 35 and plan on getting more. Your tank looks great - good to hear from other people on this forum about FW planted tanks. I am looking to get a 65 gallon that is on the craiglist - want to get some Discus. I will PM you a really good forum for planted tanks. Maybe I will post some pictures later.
Al
Thanks A/B; I've tried Amano's and they never really took hold; had 5 of them; and only noticed them for about 2 weeks. I've historically had high nitrate issues with this tank; even though its never seem to affect the fish. I think it was too much for shrimps.
Well a quick update on the sparkling water experiment; Its been about 18 hours and the bubbles are just now starting to let up; even though if I shake the bottle it gets going again. Figure not a bad way to inject some CO2 for a day for a dollar. I'm going to wait a day and then set up the other bottle; and see if there are any discernible results in the tank after another week. I'm thinking if I could do this twice a month it may be cheaper than setting up a real co2 feed. (even if it is a bit redundant using carbonated water to carbonate my water essentially)
Any thoughts on what would happen if carbonated water was added directly to the tank? My initial assumption would be that it would make a huge alkalinity spike if added too quickly.
I'll have to check out that plant forum and get some other ideas. Discus would be awesome; I'd eventually like to do a larger fresh tank.

al&burke

Interesting experiment - just keep an eye on your pH and KH and use the charts that are on the net to figure out your CO2 level. Just remember this is only accurate if you don't add any buffers to your water.

socalnano24

Well I went through 4 bottles in about a two month period. Saw dramatically increased growth; followed by stagnation. Then I removed the bottles and there has been even more growth than the initial period. So I think that my alkalinity levels must have spiked (I wasn't monitoring it), and theres now residual dissolved CO2 that the plants are incorporating now.
So I figure I'll just do one bottle once a month (it lasts about a week and a half), to avoid over doing it.