ORDERED Hurricone Cat 2 Protein Skimmer

meowzer

WELL....I DID IT!!!! I just ordered the Reef Octopus Hurricone Cat 2E Protein Skimmer

Thank you SOOOOO MUCH ACRYLIC for all your help
.....Believe me....I will need more when it gets here....LOL....
Here is the skimmer, and a description....I'm so excited...and NERVOUS TOO

Attachment 244040
Hurricone Cat 2 External Protein Skimmer
Recirculation design that can be run external or in sump.
Footprint: 16"x18"
Height: 27"
10" Body and 6" neck
Features an Askoll model 1500 motor.
High quality machine welded cast acrylic construction
Custom machined volute and pin wheels that are hand made in the USA and designed to pull the maximum amount of air and maintain proper power factors that the motors were designed for.
Air intake of 2000lpm to 2300lpm (on the Askoll 1500) *air numbers will vary depending on the model skimmer used.
3 year manufacturer warranty on Askoll motors. 1 year warranty on skimmer, custom volute and pin wheel construction. Lifetime warranty on support.

acrylic51

Your Welcome Meowzer.....The Askoll pumps have some impressive numbers.....Nice body on that skimmer!!!!

handbanana

That is one impressive beast. Im excited for you Meowzr. That will be fun to get working and plumbed in.
I look forward to reading bout it.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Handbanana
http:///forum/post/3283035
That is one impressive beast. Im excited for you Meowzr. That will be fun to get working and plumbed in.
I look forward to reading bout it.
I printed a pic of it for my husband so he can get some ideas....Of course we can't do anything until we have it in hand...I will cut a hole in the side of the sump for the return water......and I am not really sure about feeding the skimmer yet

Many people feed from the over flow....I have a dual overflow and the hoses are 1 1/2" I have no clue how to combine the 2.....I know you can not go 1 1/2 down to such a small hose as pictured on the skimmer......maybe when it gets here it will make sense....

handbanana

Perhaps the skimmer will come with fitting attachments? It looks like a not so cheap skimmer so perhaps it will.
Do you mean that you can plumb your overflow directly into the skimmer? so all the water goes throught the skimmer first? That wild. Never knew that

meowzer

http:///forum/post/3283043
Perhaps the skimmer will come with fitting attachments? It looks like a not so cheap skimmer so perhaps it will.
Do you mean that you can plumb your overflow directly into the skimmer? so all the water goes throught the skimmer first? That wild. Never knew that
NOPE...I do not think it comes with anything...
BUT..YES...I have been told, and saw pics of the plumbing from the overflow....I just don't really know the specific details.....like how much flow can actually enter the skimmer? How do you go from 1 1/2"...down to ?? (1/2 maybe) I'm guessing some sort of splitter ...
When the skimmer arrives, we will get a shut off valve, and the part to join to the sump....along with whatever we will need to feed it.....

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/3283043
All the water? No. Most recirculation skimmers suggest 1.5 times your display as the feed rate to the skimmer. Most tanks overflow rates are significantly higher then that.

meowzer

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3283051
All the water? No. Most recirculation skimmers suggest 1.5 times your display as the feed rate to the skimmer. Most tanks overflow rates are significantly higher then that.
LOL....OK...another person to pick their brains
so about 300gph to feed the skimmer.....??
AQUA....do you suggest a small pump? Or plumb from the overflow??

acrylic51

AquaKnight is correct... I think in your other thread Meowzer I had talked about cutting the 1 drain line and putting a valve inline; I'd use a gate valve for finer adjustment to regulate flow to the skimmer. That skimmer can be run in sump if you'd choose to do so. I know space was an issue.

meowzer

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3283058
AquaKnight is correct... I think in your other thread Meowzer I had talked about cutting the 1 drain line and putting a valve inline; I'd use a gate valve for finer adjustment to regulate flow to the skimmer. That skimmer can be run in sump if you'd choose to do so. I know space was an issue.
The only thing that's bothering me is feeding the skimmer :(
In sump is really no longer an option....everything else talked about can and will be done....it's the skimmer feeding..
pump or plumb????

aquaknight

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3283059
pump or plumb????
I think it's going to depend on where the skimmer goes. IIRC, your sump has the water coming in on the left side, and is close to the left side of the stand, with more room on the opposite side, the side right? Correct? If you guys aren't planning to completely redo the entire sump layout, and the skimmer is on the right, a good distance from the intake lines, a pump is a smarter option here, rather then have the intake line run all the way across to the right side to the skimmer. If the skimmer fits relatively close to the intake lines, one less pump in use, is one less pump in use.
Another idea would be to have a single large pump and feed all youre accessories. The skimmer, the phosban reactor, etc.

meowzer

The sump is actually in the center of the stand...The skimmer is going on the left side of the sump (next to intakes). I have a cascade 1500 on the right side of stand along with the phosban reactor, and a magnum 350 on the left......I actually have enough room on either side for this skimmer.....once I rearrange that is ...LOL.....
....I guess we just have to get it and go from there.....IDK why I am sooooo worried about this

acrylic51

You'll be fine Meowzer.... It might look/appear to be complicted, but it's really not. We'll get you through it.

ironeagle2006

Could be me Meowzer when the Laundry room gets buil I am going to be putting in a freaking sump rack for my future 450. Called planning ahead. Moving my RO system and also going to have my Fuge in there. Com Ed is going to love me in a few years.

meowzer

Tracking says "OUT FOR DELIVERY"

Too bad UPS doesn't come until after 4 :( At least we can look at it tonight, and figure out what hubby needs to go buy to hook it up