Phosphate....my take on things

bang guy

Steve - Thank you very very much for this post. Extremely informative. i believe you have helped a lot of people with this post, including me.
Bang

I

iluvfish

Yes! Thank you Steve. Here is a simple question for someone...
The biggest problem I am currently having is high phosphate. I have discovered the source - my RO water. But good news - I have also discovered a new water supply source that has no phosphate in it. It is an RO/DI source. Which brings me to my first question.....
How large of a water change should I/could I do with this new water source to start getting rid of the phosphate currently in my tank? (My tank is 55gal)
Amy

I

iluvfish

I am also considering the Phosban model. I understand that there are other things that contribute to phos buildup. I just want to start out right with the correct water up front.
And thanks Kip! I am working on getting a new skimmer also. What do you think about the Redsea Berlin Turbo?
Also - Melody or whoever - how do you plan on hooking up the phosban reactor? HOB or sump? Just curious on your plans?

gregvabch

kip---not trying to get off topic, but since you mentioned having a berlin skimmer and upgrading to a euro, can i ask what you didn't like about the berlin compared to your euro, and also which model euro you got/size tank you're running it on?

I

iluvfish

I would be interested too Kip. I just don't think I can afford a euro right now. But tell me why you didn't like the berlin?
Melody---don't know if you're still here - but thank you for the info on that phosban model!! Where are you planning on installing yours? Does it go in the sump?

jjboods

I have a 55 gallon tank and use the Aquamedic TurboFlotor 1000. I will be moving it to my 75 when that's up and running. Claims to be rated up to 200 gallons, I think. Has always worked well for me. Just yesterday I needed a new part for it. Called Aquamedic directly and they had the part and a new O-ring in the mail by the end of the day. Called me back with the total price...$9.55 including shipping. Great service. The price is about $150 and then you need a separate powerhead to pump the water into it. There is also a HOB model, but I've never used it.

zanemoseley

kip I just heat up some RO/DI water in the microwave and then let the air hose suck it in to clean the injector. I do that once a week when cleaning the cup/neck and so far so good. Have you cleaned your pump yet. I'm really not looking forward to cleaning mine cause I have to disassemble my sump to clean it due to to a semi short stand.

zanemoseley

I hadn't thought of using vinegar, how many ml's does 15cc's convert to? I wonder how long a euroreef can go without cleaning before the pump needs cleaning if you don't dose calcium or kalk in the same sump chamber as the euro.

fishking

is apple cider vinegar ok if it gets injected into my tank because i need to clean my berlin, which produces tons of dry foam that sometimes i comes out of the top of the lid, and thats the only vinegar i have

jjboods

I have also been getting dry foam pushing my lid off. But the piece that the cup sits in has a crack that I recently noticed and water is leaking out. I had assumed this was the problem. Thus my recent order to Aqua Medic that I mentioned in an earlier post. Could the be another problem with my skimmer? It seems clean, where would I inject the vinegar?

jjboods

And vinegar going into the tank is okay? What kind of vinegar? You mentioned cider vinegar having sugar. I would think most vinegars have some sort of sugar in one form or another?