Photography School

I figured I'd share my small studio with you.
I built this one back when I had my reptile breeding business and I was dealing with flighty lizards and snakes. In this photo it was set up for a snake shoot.
I have used it to photograph everything from snakes, lizards, scorpions, venomous snakes, tarantulas, misc spiders, amphibians, and of course flowers.
It was real easy to construct and depending on how much light you need... you just change out the bulbs. With the geckos I had to have softer light or they wouldn't open their eyes... with the snakes I could flood it with light and freeze tounge flicks.

As for the background... I just bought the reminents in the fabric department at China-Mart (aka walmart). The container is just the biggest storage container I could buy and I cut out one of the long sides and left a lip on the bottom to hold in the substrate. I've used the cypress mulch (in the photo), sand for the scorpions, and leaves and a log for a copperhead. It's really up to your imagination.
This is also the same studio setup I used when photographing the white daisy that I posted earlier in this thread.

Sorry I have been laxed on this thread.
I have been in the process of a much needed catagorizing and keywording of my photography hard drive. Turns out I only had 29,732 files to go thru. Once I got that completed I started on the next version of my website.
I have now completed (If a photography site could every be completed) the next version of my photography website. I still need to add a couple of categories (Aquatics and Feathered Friends) into the Pet Photography portfolio, and work on adding images to the Nature Photography section. But for the most part it is complete.
If you're interested check out my site and let me know what you think.
www.kevinbatchelorphotography.com

In another thead I got this request
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/378595/who-are-you-member-photo-thread/920#post_3488557
wolf - your crazy in real life too!!! <gasp> I'm just kidding, respect for doing things you love and I can see your passion through the pics. Do you mind posting up the actual pic of that snake you took? I'm bit curious how it came out. Also life insurance isn't for you but for your family to cover for your funeral and other expenses.
That response was in relation to this photo that I posted.

Their request brings up a good point... photographically speaking.
Most folks would take a photo of a venomous snake just like the one shown above. With the photographer standing up and looking down at the snake. Come to think of it... most folks shoot all animals that way.
This is where compositon comes into play. My buddy actually took this photo of me photographing the Cottonmouth. I honestly didn't know he was doing it until well after the fact. Like us getting back to our perspective states and him contacting me to let me know he had pics of me with the snakes. When Im dealing with 'hots' my only focus is on what Im doing.. not what others around me are doing. Anyhow... back to the topic of hand.
Even if I wasn't in the shot, his shot would be a good "field guide" type of shot. He would have zoomed in a bit more and filled the frame with the snake. That is what most folks do. BUT.... I want you to think of composition when you shoot and thinking outside the box. In my way of thinking... since most folks would shoot this snake this way.... I sure don't want to. I want to be different and I want my images to stand out from the crowd.
Add that with the fact that I've been working with snakes for 20+ years and I have been trained under a mentor to work with venomous and I am getting right down there with it. Now some folks may think I've lost my ever loving mind... and you might be right. BUT... keep in mind I am relying on my experience and training. The closest part of my body (my hand) is actually just outside of strike range. I also don't have my camera strap around any part of me. In the past I have had to leave the camera because I had a cotton come towards me. I can always come back for my camera once I get the snake under control.
Anyhow... by thinking out of the box, and actually doing something that none of the others in the group would do I came back with this portrait of a Cottonmouth.

So no matter what you are shooting... change your perspective from the norm. By changing your perspective... you dramatically change your image.

Guess I'll impart a lesson I learned a long time ago... and I learned it the hard way.
Lets say you take a photo and your not really happy with it, but it has potential. Don't ever delete that photo. You'll never know when you're post processing skills will improve that will allow you to fix what you really dont like.
Case in point... I've been sitting on some images since around the end of 2008. There were some images from the shoot that just bugged the crap out of me because of the way the background was. I however couldn't bring myself to delete them. Turns out... that was a good thing. Over the years I have gotten better, and better with post processing in Photoshop. Just last night I fixed one of those images. It went from an image that I'd never show off... to one that is now most likely going to end up on my website.
In this shoot she decided she wanted to use some satin sheets as a back drop. In actuality I had her to close to the backdrop so it was really in focus, and you could see all the nice creases. It drove me insane. Last night I figured out a way to take away those creases and make it more flowing. It's not near as distracting now and you can focus on her face.

Anyhow... hang onto your images. You never know when your skills may improve to the point of salvaging that image that had a few problems.

And while this is only midly photo related.. .it is just a bit. It ties in with improving on your skills when it comes to graphics and post processing.
I embarked on this project back in 2001. The software wasn't near as sofisticated as Photoshop, so I really had my work cut out for me. I started and restarted on this project probably close to 10 times before I was even remotely happy with the outcome.
Now the story behind the image.
My sister came to me and asked me if I thought I could resotre an image since I was big into photography and computer graphics. I told her it depends on the image and what's wrong with it. Her reply......
It went thru a house fire and it's the only image my hubby's dad has of him when he was a baby. I like a challenge.... but deaaammm!
I spent several hundred hours trying to restore this image. I wish I would have had photoshop back then, but considering what I had... it didn't turn out to bad. I guess the moral of this story is.... don't give up on your photographs. With the correct knowledge and software, you can fix a whole lot of flaws. Even flaws as big as parts being missing.

And after I worked my magic.

sweat90lx

I havent re-read this whole thread YET. But how can I restore some very old photos?
I have an album of my grandfather from WW2. I never met him and this is all I have of him. The photos are in a very old album and Im scared to try to remove them. Can I take a picture with my camera of them and edit that?
I took some before but didnt turn the flash off. The date is wrong and we taken with a cheap Kodak camera.

saban2013

Great thread, you've given some great advice here. I have mixed passion here. One is SW the other is photography. I have a degree in photography, and have had fish my whole life. Keep throwing out the advice. I shoot with a Minolta 800si, and Sigma lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saban2013 http:///t/391680/photography-school/80#post_3513640
Great thread, you've given some great advice here. I have mixed passion here. One is SW the other is photography. I have a degree in photography, and have had fish my whole life. Keep throwing out the advice. I shoot with a Minolta 800si, and Sigma lenses.

Nice newborn. As Snake mentioned.. .I'm not around much anymore because I have been trying to sell my salt tank and other things have been taking up my time. I am willing to answer any questions that come up though. I only shoot with Tamron and Sigma lenses. This one was taken with my rather large Sigma.

I guess it doesn't matter if it's kids or wolves... there's always got to be at least one joker in the bunch.

If you (or anyone else) has any specific questions, or wants help to make an image better the next time around... please post them and I'll get them answered. When I looked at your calf photo I thought about a tender moment between momma and the calf. I hope you don't mind, but I did a different crop to show you the impact it could possibly have on the moment.

saban2013

I don't mind a bit, I actually have that same crop in my files. I find myself in some crazy set ups just to find that "ONE" shot to say what you feel.

I have definitely been in some strange setups to get the shot. I've been known to hang off a cliff to get a sideways shot of the cliff and terrain. I've put the top half of my body out into a pond so I could photograph an American Toad calling for a mate in some reeds. I've laid down in a stream because there was no other way to get the shot of a Northern Watersnake. This was a mistake... cause that water was COLD!!!!! I did get the shot though ;) I've photographed animals that would kill me with only the camera lens between us. Laying on the ground less than two foot away from a Cottonmouth comes to mind... but boy was the shot worth it.

When I teach folks on a one on one basis or in a small group that is always one thing I try to focus on. Everyone wants to take the shot standing up over the subject. Change your point of view to something that is not normally seen and you will have an amazing image. Anytime you can get down on eye level it improves the image... unless you're going for the field guide type photo. Me... I want portraits... I want images with impact.

saban2013

I know what you mean. I had a teacher some 20 years ago tell me,"Does the image mean something to you or to everyone?" If you are the only one that sees what you see, the shot is better left alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saban2013 http:///t/391680/photography-school/80#post_3513771
I know what you mean. I had a teacher some 20 years ago tell me,"Does the image mean something to you or to everyone?" If you are the only one that sees what you see, the shot is better left alone.
I am going to have to disagree on this one. Photography is viewed differently depending on who is doing the viewing. When it comes to nature photography, I shoot for me. If someone else likes the image or my techniques then that is icing on the cake.... however I wont "not" take the shot because someone else may not see what I see.
Case in point... look at all the expressionist painting that sell for millions. I don't see the appeal, but apparently someone does... otherwise they wouldn't sell.
Guess the bottom line is.... photograph what makes you happy and if others like it... then that's even better. I mean seriously... how many folks do you think actually like my snake photography. Most folks shudder at it or refuse to look. I enjoy it... so I am going to do whatever it takes to get the shot I see in my mind.?