Photography School

acrylic51

Ok.....I've always had the camera set on the largest highest quality setting......I do recall software that Canon has about editing pics, but never really paid to much attention to it......I also have the switch/button on the side of the camera where you can select either AF or MF.....I have that set to MF is that correct.....How do or would you go about selection your ISO speed......There's also this little meter or bar when you peer through the view finder....What's all this jazziness for or about.....
Again you can see I don't like manuals at all!!!!!!

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf http:///t/391680/photography-school#post_3475145
For my all around shooting I use a Tamron 28/300 macro. It's kind of a jack of all trades. It allows me to get 19" away from my subject and still be able to focus and also had a decent zoom range. The trade off is the slightly higher apature. My old 70/300 was a f/ 5.6 and the Tamron 28/300 is a f/6.3. What this means is at the 300mm mark the Tamron lets in one stop of less light. Unless your shooting in a really low light situation this is not a big deal.
I do plan on doing a write up on the apature settings (f/6.3 and so on) to help better explain this setting in comparison to the image achieved and the light.
Sorry to pester you to death, but you asked for it.........All those numbers confuse me......The 28-135mm just isn't cutting it.......

meowzer

Shawn is that you and your family? Is the little girl the one in your avatar....but a little older.....hard to tell cuz of the whiskers....HAHA

gemmy

What camera(s) would you recommend for a decent beginner camera? And the lens? I want something that I can get good tank pics with and nature shots.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/391680/photography-school/20#post_3475148
Shawn is that you and your family? Is the little girl the one in your avatar....but a little older.....hard to tell cuz of the whiskers....HAHA

The avatar of the little girl with the whiskers is the young lady on the far left holding my grand daughter.....The middle young lady is my oldest and that's her little girl being held......The other is my nephew...... They grow to fast!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391680/photography-school/20#post_3475146
Ok.....I've always had the camera set on the largest highest quality setting......I do recall software that Canon has about editing pics, but never really paid to much attention to it......I also have the switch/button on the side of the camera where you can select either AF or MF.....I have that set to MF is that correct.....How do or would you go about selection your ISO speed......There's also this little meter or bar when you peer through the view finder....What's all this jazziness for or about.....
Again you can see I don't like manuals at all!!!!!!

The AF and MF is your focus. If it is on MF than your camera is set to manual focus. As to the ISO... on my Nikon on the back of the camera body there is a button with ISO above it. I push and hold that button down and then rotate one of my two dials (dont remember which one) and you can see the ISO numbers changing on the top display screen next to the shutter release button. Usually I keep my ISO set on 400. In very low light situations I may bump it up to around 800.
That little meter bar is your best friend. That actually helps you with your exposure when you're shooting in manual. The center of that bar is a neutral exposure and towards the + side is a brighter exposure and towards the - side is a darker exposure. Since you're interested in this bar... I try to do an actual writeup on the best way to use it to get the exposure you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391680/photography-school/20#post_3475147
Sorry to pester you to death, but you asked for it.........All those numbers confuse me......The 28-135mm just isn't cutting it.......
You're not pestering me at all. I would be willing to bet that SW is your passion. Photography is mine.
28-135mm is the focal length of your lens. The smaller the first number the wider the view you can capture on film... or in this case digital. If you're wanting to shoot a beautiful mountain range you want a wide focal length. Depending on how close you are to the mountain 28mm may not be wide enough. I have found that 28mm is a pretty good all around lens. There has been times when I wished for a wider focal length. These however come with a drawback. The wider you go the more distorted the image becomes. Think of the fish eye lenses or the keyhole lenses that you may have seen spy images from.
The 135mm is the max amount of zoom or the farthest focal length your lens can achieve. I don't know how many times I wished my 28/300mm lens had just a little bit more reach to it. IE a 28/400mm lens. Sadly... right now they dont make such a lens. You can get zooms that reach out to 400mm but they dont have the wide 28mm focal length at the beginning.
Unless I'm doing dedicated macro photography with my 105mm macro or reaching out and touching something with my big lens... I never take my 28/300 macro off my camera. IF I could only have one lens .... it would be that 28/300 because it is so versital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391680/photography-school/20#post_3475150
What camera(s) would you recommend for a decent beginner camera? And the lens? I want something that I can get good tank pics with and nature shots.
I am a Nikon person so some may say Im biased... but what I will say is this. Go to a camera store where you can physically hold the cameras. It really doesn't matter if it's a Nikon or Canon they are both good platforms.
Some folks like the way a Canon feels in their hands. The locations of the buttons are different and the body size is different.
I will say this. If you're looking to get even remotely semi-serious about photography... get a camera that you can manually focus. Most point and shoot cameras either don't allow this or it's so bloody complicated it's not worth it.
Now I cant speak about Canon's lower end DSLR because I don't know... maybe someone can chime in that does. Nikon's lower end DSLR's have a flaw IMO. They decided to save weight and money by not including an autofocus motor in the camera body. You have to buy specific lenses that have the autofocus motor built into the lens. My problem with this is... 1) the lenses are more expensive and 2) Why should I have to buy multiple autofoucs motors (ie everytime I want to use a different lens).
Truthfully... that doesn't impact me much because 99% of the time I am using manual focus. HOWEVER I have found it is soooooooooooo much easier to let the camera autofocus when I am trying to photograph birds in flight.
As for the lenes... I may ruffles some feathers, but I don't feel most folks should be paying the extremely high prices of the Nikkor (Nikon) or Canon lenses. Every lens in my collection is either a Sigma or a Tamron. Now I will have to admit that Canon has some lenses that neither Sigma, Tamron, or Nikon for that matter can touch. I have seriously thought about buying a Canon body just so I can have one lens. I just cant justify that $2,000 outlay in funds so I can have some serious macro fun.
As I mentioned above... If I could only have one lens... it would be the 28/300 macro. I have a Tamron but I have a friend that has the Sigma version (it was just a bit cheaper at the time) and she is happy with it as well.

I wrote this back in Jan 2008 for another site that I was on. It will be the first in a series of small articles that I will write in regards to the different aspects of photography and how to improve yours.
For those of you'll that have cameras that you can change settings on.... here is a little tid bit of informtion.
What is ISO and how does it relate to your photos?
Here is the best analogy that I have ever heard.... and I can NOT take credit for it.
ISO, Shutter Speed, and Apature are all related. The primary factor in photography is light.
So lets look at it this way......for this analogy we will fill a glass with water.
light = water
Apature = how much a water faucet is opened
Shutter Speed = how long the faucet is opened
ISO = a filter on the faucet to remove impurities
The proper exposure would be analogous to filling a glass of water. Aperture would be analogous to how much the faucet is opened, shutter speed to how long the faucet is open, and ISO to a filter on the faucet removing impurities or in photo terms, noise. Just cracking the faucet open (smaller aperture opening) means you have to leave it open longer (slow shutter speed) to completely fill you glass of water. Opening it all the way (wide aperture) means it only needs to be open for a short time (fast shutter speed) to fill the glass. The better the filter is at removing impurities/noise (lower ISO), the longer you'll have to leave the water running (slower shutter speed) as a finer filter slows down the water flow more than a more porous one that lets through more impurities/noise.
So if you increase your ISO speed from say 100 to 400 then you also increase your shutter speed which means that your apature does not have to be open as wide.
So what does this all mean and how can I use this information.
When you zoom in you let in less light to the film or sensor. Smaller opening in the apature (this is just the way it is) so in order to capture something in focus that is moving (wheither its a butterfly or a flower swaying in the breeze) you need a faster shutter speed. The only way to get the faster shutter speed is by introducing more light (flash) or by increasing the ISO speed.... thereby letting more natural light to the film or sensor.
Hope this helped and didnt confuse you too much.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf http:///t/391680/photography-school/20#post_3475157
The AF and MF is your focus. If it is on MF than your camera is set to manual focus. As to the ISO... on my Nikon on the back of the camera body there is a button with ISO above it. I push and hold that button down and then rotate one of my two dials (dont remember which one) and you can see the ISO numbers changing on the top display screen next to the shutter release button. Usually I keep my ISO set on 400. In very low light situations I may bump it up to around 800.
That little meter bar is your best friend. That actually helps you with your exposure when you're shooting in manual. The center of that bar is a neutral exposure and towards the + side is a brighter exposure and towards the - side is a darker exposure. Since you're interested in this bar... I try to do an actual writeup on the best way to use it to get the exposure you want.
I'm loving it!!!!!!

acrylic51

I know I'm throwing a lot at you......My last question for tonight.....I did figure out how to change the ISO on the camera after the last tip......
There's the dial (control knob) on the left top of the camera.....It's for different shots I'm assuming.....There's a setting that shows like a guy running, a macro setting, "P", "TV", "Av", "M", I'm also assuming portrait, landscape, and there's a setting marked "A-DEP". This setting "A-DEP" was the setting I was able to change the ISO when set on this mark, and it also worked on a few others.....Any setting this dial should be set on as a starting point......
I feel so dumb!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391680/photography-school/20#post_3475163
I know I'm throwing a lot at you......My last question for tonight.....I did figure out how to change the ISO on the camera after the last tip......
There's the dial (control knob) on the left top of the camera.....It's for different shots I'm assuming.....There's a setting that shows like a guy running, a macro setting, "P", "TV", "Av", "M", I'm also assuming portrait, landscape, and there's a setting marked "A-DEP". This setting "A-DEP" was the setting I was able to change the ISO when set on this mark, and it also worked on a few others.....Any setting this dial should be set on as a starting point......
I feel so dumb!!!!!!
Most of those have a preset priority.
Take the guy running. That is a quick and easy way to bump up the shutter speed. It is intended for shooting things like sports.
The macro setting is denoted by the flower. In point and shoot cameras that setting will let the camera focus closer. In a DSLR it may change the apature I dunno.
P is a program mode. I honestly am not sure what settings you have access to here.
TV is your Shutter Priority. By selecting this one you can tell the camera what to set the shutter speed at and it will choose the correct apature so you have a correct exposure. This is handy if you don't want to get into full manual, but would rather choose a high shutter speed to stop motion or a slower shutter speed if your photographing a waterfall and want the white flowing water look.
AV is your apature priority mode. In this mode you can select your apature and the camera will select the correct shutter speed to give you a good exposure. The apature controls your depth of field. (how much is in focus)
M is full manual mode. You run the show. This is the mode that I stay in.
A-dep the automatic depth of field mode. Nikon doesn't have this that I'm aware of (or at least not on my D90) I'd have to read up on this function. I do know that this setting does not alter your ISO on a global scale. To do that you need to do the following.
On the top of your camera by the display there will be a button with the ISO label. By holding that down you'll see the ISO number in that display. To change it turn the dial on the front of your camera. You may or may not need to hold down the ISO button to make the changes.

acrylic51

I wanna hear everything you have to say......Again totally new and want to get and understanding.....To be totally truthful, the info you've given has already helped me with the camera......Keep the info coming.....

Last time I talked about the general principals of photography. Now it's time to put those principals into practice. From here on out I will try to also include the camera settings with the images that I show. These numbers will show the starting point of the image. Keep in mind that I shoot RAW so each and every image has to be post processed either in Lightroom or Photoshop. I normally get real close to the perfect exposure in the camera and then I tweek it just a tad with the software while I am processing to really make it pop. I am mainly posting the camera settings so you can get an idea of the correlation between them and any given image.
If you decide you want to go 100% manual... a great way to learn is to go buy a bouquet of flowers. Set them on the table under the light and hang a black shirt behind them to act as a backdrop. Then start playing around with different combinations of shutter speed and aperture. You'll start to see how they correlate between each other. Once you get the right exposure you'll see that if one setting goes up, the other has to go down in order to maintain the correct exposure.
For this installment I'd like to discuss Shutter speed. I have decided to process some images from my trip to the Cossatot River just for this example. So ya'll are the first ones to ever see these images (well besides me of course :) )
In this first photo I was photographing the overall scene. Therefore I wasn't really worried about slowing down the flow of the waterfalls. You can see that the water is more or less just frozen in place. It doesn't really "flow"
Shutter 1/250 sec, Aperture f/11, ISO 400

Now lets say I wanted to make that water less chaotic. Slow it down just a bit but not really have the white streak that you see in some posters. In this next photo I shot the image at a shutter speed of 1/40 sec, Aperture f/32, ISO 400

If you're going for that really white streaked look where the water movement kinda blurs then you have to really slow down your shutter speed. In this next photo I slowed the shutter all the way down to 1/6 sec, Aperture f/32, ISO 400

Now that we have seen what slowing the shutter down can accomplish... lets move in the other direction. Most times when you're photographing animals you will want a much faster shutter speed. The reason for this faster shutter speed is to freeze any small or even large movements that the animal may make.
The following image is a perfect example of jacking up the shutter speed to freeze movement. This photo was taken with a shutter speed of 1/1000, Aperture f/5.6, ISO 400
aterfish.com/image/id/647572/width/350/height/281" target="_blank">

The Cardinal had just lifted off. If I would have had my shutter even higher that closet wing would have been completely frozen and not semi blurred. But in a scenerio like this... you just have to spray and pray. Only we aren't using bullets but camera clicks instead. My Nikon will shoot at either 4 or 5 frames per second and I always keep it on burst.
I think we will all agree that when a snake flicks out it's tongue it's a pretty quick movement. You may be surprised to know that you don't have to have insane shutter speed to catch it though. The following image was captured using only a shutter speed of 1/500 (that's right... half that of the cardinal above), Aperture f/ 5.6, ISO 400

And I'll end this post with one of my African Cichlids. The reason I'm using this image is because it's a learning tool. Both for me and everyone else. You may be surprised at the slow shutter speed needed when photographing slow moving fish. HOWEVER... those slow moving fish can change directions in a quick manner and thus give you a partial blur. That's probably what happened with this image.
This guy was photographed with a shutter speed of 1/60 at f/4.8 with an ISO 250

You'll notice that his body is in great focus, but all of a sudden the top part of his head is a slight blur. If I would have used a shutter speed faster than 1/60 I could have compensated for that movement. So for photographing your fish you can start off with 1/60 on your shutter speed, but you may want to bump it up just a bit that way you can take the chance out of your shots.
If ya'll have any questions... please feel free to ask.

geoj

Last time I talked about the general principals of photography.  Now it's time to put those principals into practice.  From here on out I will try to also include the camera settings with the images that I show. These numbers will show the starting point of the image. Keep in mind that I shoot RAW so each and every image has to be post processed either in Lightroom or Photoshop.  I normally get real close to the perfect exposure in the camera and then I tweek it just a tad with the software while I am processing to really make it pop.  I am mainly posting the camera settings so you can get an idea of the correlation between them and any given image.
If you decide you want to go 100% manual... a great way to learn is to go buy a bouquet of flowers.  Set them on the table under the light and hang a black shirt behind them to act as a backdrop.  Then start playing around with different combinations of shutter speed and aperture.  You'll start to see how they correlate between each other.  Once you get the right exposure you'll see that if one setting goes up, the other has to go down in order to maintain the correct exposure.
For this installment I'd like to discuss Shutter speed.  I have decided to process some images from my trip to the Cossatot River just for this example.  So ya'll are the first ones to ever see these images (well besides me of course :) )
In this first photo I was photographing the overall scene.  Therefore I wasn't really worried about slowing down the flow of the waterfalls.  You can see that the water is more or less just frozen in place.  It doesn't really "flow"
Shutter 1/250 sec, Aperture f/11, ISO 400

Now lets say I wanted to make that water less chaotic.  Slow it down just a bit but not really have the white streak that you see in some posters.  In this next photo I shot the image at a shutter speed of  1/40 sec, Aperture f/32, ISO 400

If you're going for that really white streaked look where the water movement kinda blurs then you have to really slow down your shutter speed.  In this next photo I slowed the shutter all the way down to 1/6 sec, Aperture f/32, ISO 400

Now that we have seen what slowing the shutter down can accomplish... lets move in the other direction.  Most times when you're photographing animals you will want a much faster shutter speed.  The reason for this faster shutter speed is to freeze any small or even large movements that the animal may make.
The following image is a perfect example of jacking up the shutter speed to freeze movement.  This photo was taken with a shutter speed of 1/1000, Aperture f/5.6, ISO 400

The Cardinal had just lifted off.  If I would have had my shutter even higher that closet wing would have been completely frozen and not semi blurred. But in a scenerio like this... you just have to spray and pray.  Only we aren't using bullets but camera clicks instead.  My Nikon will shoot at either 4 or 5 frames per second and I always keep it on burst.
I think we will all agree that when a snake flicks out it's tongue it's a pretty quick movement.  You may be surprised to know that you don't have to have insane shutter speed to catch it though. The following image was captured using only a shutter speed of 1/500 (that's right... half that of the cardinal above), Aperture f/ 5.6, ISO 400

And I'll end this post with one of my African Cichlids.  The reason I'm using this image is because it's a learning tool.  Both for me and everyone else.  You may be surprised at the slow shutter speed needed when photographing slow moving fish.  HOWEVER... those slow moving fish can change directions in a quick manner and thus give you a partial blur.  That's probably what happened with this image.
This guy was photographed with a shutter speed of 1/60 at f/4.8 with an ISO 250

You'll notice that his body is in great focus, but all of a sudden the top part of his head is a slight blur.  If I would have used a shutter speed faster than 1/60 I could have compensated for that movement.  So for photographing your fish you can start off with 1/60 on your shutter speed, but you may want to bump it up just a bit that way you can take the chance out of your shots.
If ya'll have any questions... please feel free to ask.
This is an awesome thread, thank you for shearing your experience. :t^:
I am using an Nikon S220 point and shoot and have been thinking of upgrading to a PS camera with MF in the $150 range. Of course the more I learn about photograph the better my shots become with the camera I have. So to my question when I shoot with very little zoom I can take ok macro shots that are in focuses, but when I try to take the same shot in the back of the tank with the camera zoomed all or most of the way out I can't get the AF to focuses. Is this the limit of the camera or my use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/391680/photography-school/20#post_3475333
This is an awesome thread, thank you for shearing your experience.

I am using an Nikon S220 point and shoot and have been thinking of upgrading to a PS camera with MF in the $150 range. Of course the more I learn about photograph the better my shots become with the camera I have. So to my question when I shoot with very little zoom I can take ok macro shots that are in focuses, but when I try to take the same shot in the back of the tank with the camera zoomed all or most of the way out I can't get the AF to focuses. Is this the limit of the camera or my use of it.
Take a shot and post it here. Let me see what's it doing.

Since you have a point and shoot... see if there is a macro setting in the menu. Also if you have a dial on the top of the camera there may be a little flower icon. That usually denotes a macro setting.