pics of my girls...

rays862

Beautiful horses you have there.
Just got some Ingens, will see how those go. No pics yet.
Rays
{edit link}

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rays862
Beautiful horses you have there.
Just got some Ingens, will see how those go. No pics yet.
Rays
{edit link}

Thank you Rays,
Your web site is really awesome.
Apache is still having bouyancy problems from the last time that they mated (on Thanksgiving Day)...I've tried to do an evacuation (twice) with no luck. He's still hitched high in the tank and his breathing is good, his skin and eyes look good...it's just very heartbreaking for me to observe him in this condition. His pouch is VERY bloated, and I can't tell if that is from air or babies, or both...I'm thinking both, from the looks of it. I can't seem to get him to eat anything, but he's in a different spot everytime I get a chance to look in on him, and I think that he's getting nutrition somehow (I hope). I keep praying and doing what I can. If he's not better by this weekend, I will place him in my 3 gallon fry tank to see if that's a bit more comfortable for him while he's having trouble.
Keep your fingers crossed and send up a few prayers.
Lisa

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Thank you Rays,
Your web site is really awesome.
Apache is still having bouyancy problems from the last time that they mated (on Thanksgiving Day)...I've tried to do an evacuation (twice) with no luck. He's still hitched high in the tank and his breathing is good, his skin and eyes look good...it's just very heartbreaking for me to observe him in this condition. His pouch is VERY bloated, and I can't tell if that is from air or babies, or both...I'm thinking both, from the looks of it. I can't seem to get him to eat anything, but he's in a different spot everytime I get a chance to look in on him, and I think that he's getting nutrition somehow (I hope). I keep praying and doing what I can. If he's not better by this weekend, I will place him in my 3 gallon fry tank to see if that's a bit more comfortable for him while he's having trouble.
Keep your fingers crossed and send up a few prayers.
Lisa

Have you tried contacting the Monteray Bay Aquarium. They supposedly have a fabulous seahorse exhibit. They must have some information regarding the breeding of horses. This bouancy problem doesn't make much sense to me. I agree with you, Apache is the prefect photo of health, and I could understand some problems swimming yes, but is he still all over the tank?
hmmmmmm....I think I will poke around the MB Aquarium Website and see if I can find someone to contact.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Rykna
Have you tried contacting the Monteray Bay Aquarium. They supposedly have a fabulous seahorse exhibit. They must have some information regarding the breeding of horses. This bouancy problem doesn't make much sense to me. I agree with you, Apache is the prefect photo of health, and I could understand some problems swimming yes, but is he still all over the tank?
hmmmmmm....I think I will poke around the MB Aquarium Website and see if I can find someone to contact.

Thanks Ryk, I did send an email to the MBA, but I have yet to receive a response from them.
Actually on Wednesday, I came home to find Apache hitched normally again and acting as if nothing ever happened. He still seems to have a little pocket of air in his pouch tonight though and having some problems from that...tomorrow I'll again try another evacuation.
What really crumbles my cookies, is that tonight, even with his bouyancy/swimming problems, he and Navajo were going at it again. I either need to separate them or get them neutered. IDK...
Lisa

rykna

Why was Rays web site link edited????
Lisa
it's only my humble opinion, but I think that SWF needs to redefine the difference between helpful web site link posts and competitor links...and even go further to get of their high horse and embrace knowledge and helpful input from other sites

monalisa

With Apache's passing, I need to put a serious tank clean up plan into place. Needless to say that with his bouyancy and hitching problems, feeding Apache was a challenge, which we met for the most part...but I'm now seeing the fallout in my tank in the form of hair algea.
I've got a plan but, as always, it's going to take some time.
Lisa

monalisa

I was finally able to do a good cleaning and water change in my sh tank...4+ gallons. Changed out filter media, pulled as much hair algae as I could and I pulled and rinsed the sponge covers on the intakes. I also pulled out the feeding dish and replaced it with a sweet little cermaic dish that I got on one of my trips to Mexico...Navajo seems to love it already.
During the course of this, I realized that the filters were still turned way down (I did that to accommodate Apache when he was having problems). With those turned back up again, the algae is letting loose, the corals and mushrooms are coming around, and Navajo seems to be enjoying the added current. Inca, on the other hand is a little rattled by all the action that has taken place and is hitched to a plant...near the food dish, I might add. I'm not too worried about her though, Navajo is keeping a close eye on her...as always. She'll come around before too long.
Lisa

rykna

Good to hear from you Lisa.
If you feel up to it, I'd love to see more pics of your sh tank.

monalisa

Good to hear from you Lisa.
If you feel up to it, I'd love to see more pics of your sh tank.

Mmmmm, that'll have to be after the hair algea dissipates a bit (and that's happening, slowly, but surely). I DO have 2 healthy and happy little girls though, and I've added my email addy to the wish list for kudas here on SWF.com...hopefully this spring I'll get another pair of little horses (hopefully females
)
Side note: Navajo is still playing "mom" to Inca, and Inca is still as red as she was when she was a baby...she's grown considerably and both of my girls love it when my hand is in the tank, particularly when I'm feeding them
I love my horses....
Lisa

monalisa

it's only my humble opinion, but I think that SWF needs to redefine the difference between helpful web site link posts and competitor links...and even go further to get of their high horse and embrace knowledge and helpful input from other sites

Yeah...I think that the best course of action on this site is to do your research and paraphrase in your own words what you've found out. I think that's what most do. I think that this way you get the extra added advantage of also adding in your own tidbits...so to speak.
Lisa

rykna

Mmmmm, that'll have to be after the hair algea dissipates a bit (and that's happening, slowly, but surely). I DO have 2 healthy and happy little girls though, and I've added my email addy to the wish list for kudas here on SWF.com...hopefully this spring I'll get another pair of little horses (hopefully females
)
Side note: Navajo is still playing "mom" to Inca, and Inca is still as red as she was when she was a baby...she's grown considerably and both of my girls love it when my hand is in the tank, particularly when I'm feeding them
I love my horses....
Lisa
You're part of the family!!! Just as horses greet and reconfirm friendships by tail holding and dancing, they recognize you and want to say hi to you too!!!
It's wonderful to hear that your little ladies are doing so well. Inca's red coloring must be very striking especially since she's grown. As for the extra greenery, maybe you could get a couple narsis snails to help deminish the algae?

monalisa

I'm still working on getting rid of the hair algae that grew as a result of trying to keep my little Apache fed while he was having problems. That's where I'm at right now. Inca is still so red... I can't believe how beautiful she and Navajo are. Navajo has, it seems, gotten through her grieving. There were many, many days where she would hitch to places where Apache could be found when he was having problems. I'm convinced that she was helping him by feeding him during that time. I know that he would not have made it so long without her ... no doubt.
At this point, she's taken to getting her fill at the dish then rounding Inca to the dish. The two of them hang out more and more each day. I want to add more to the herd...I think that Navajo needs that.
Lisa

monalisa

confession time: I'm a marshmallow. I secretly and quietly grieve the demise of my corals even. When Apache died... I fell apart. I expected to give him a long and happy life. When he and Navajo successfully mated... I couldn't believe my good fortune in having such a happy couple.
What turned out to be my "good fortune" actually turned out to be Apache's demise. Every time he and Navajo mated (after the first and only brood was born) his pouch filled with air and nothing else. I became very versed at evacuating his pouch when it looked to be appropriate. Finally stress and exhaustion took him.
I post this to help those thinking of keeping seahorses make the decision of whether to breed or not. I had NO intention of breeding and my first pair, I THOUGHT, were females... then there was Apache... I miss him.
Lisa

rykna

confession time: I'm a marshmallow. I secretly and quietly grieve the demise of my corals even. When Apache died... I fell apart. I expected to give him a long and happy life. When he and Navajo successfully mated... I couldn't believe my good fortune in having such a happy couple.
What turned out to be my "good fortune" actually turned out to be Apache's demise. Every time he and Navajo mated (after the first and only brood was born) his pouch filled with air and nothing else. I became very versed at evacuating his pouch when it looked to be appropriate. Finally stress and exhaustion took him.
I post this to help those thinking of keeping seahorses make the decision of whether to breed or not. I had NO intention of breeding and my first pair, I THOUGHT, were females... then there was Apache... I miss him.
Lisa
No marshmallows here, only a talented, loving Mother, Grandmother, and friend who take cares of all her family. May they be human, furry, or have scales~it makes no difference. All creatures deserve our respect.

monalisa

No marshmallows here, only a talented, loving Mother, Grandmother, and friend who take cares of all her family. May they be human, furry, or have scales~it makes no difference. All creatures deserve our respect.

Ryk,
... our respect and our love. You bring me to tears, there's so much going on lately... thank you SO much!!
Lisa

monalisa

I could just cry...SWF has kudas for sale, but will only sell 1 per order. I may need to go elsewhere.. very sad. Very nice picture though!!
Lisa

rykna

Ryk,
... our respect and our love. You bring me to tears, there's so much going on lately... thank you SO much!!
Lisa
You're very welcome
Big hug for you {Lisa}

rykna

I've got a new pair of kudas ordered and heading this way!! I can't wait to meet them!!
Lisa
Wonderful!!!! I can't wait to see pics!!!!!