please help

the thing that i find weird is that the last 2 times i did the fresh water dip both of them swam around a little and the male went ballistic. this time both of them freeze up and dont move...
i dont know anything about freshwater but i know there is this thing about water hardness...or something like that. could my water be hard? IDK.

ok so the male is actually doing ok. he is not freaking out and is swimming like he is stress free. im going to go longer than 12 minutes n see how long it can go. so far its been 7 minutes.

mr.clownfish

Originally Posted by Dive Girl
http:///forum/post/3145468
When are you going to do the dip?
It's possible that seahorses flesh is being eaten because of the parasites. Take Mr.Clownfish to your house and have him do the dip, right now.
i showed her how to do it.

will this dip make them stop throwing up? ive never seen seahorses throw up there food. it throws everything up like 2 minutes after it eats. what should i help her do after the dip?

teresaq

I think its time for the next step. Deworming. Do you have a QT tank set up??
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/364843/deworming-wild-caught-and-tank-raised-seahorses
T

ok so these treatments...
(Weeks 1-3: One day each week, feed two meals of Praziquantel. For gutloading ABS, use a concentration of 10mL per gallon for 2 hours.
Weeks 4-6: One day each week, feed two meals of Metronidazole. For gutloading ABS, use a concentration of 1/4tsp per gallon for 2 hours.
Weeks 7-9: One day each week, feed two meals of Fenbendazole. For gutloading ABS, use a concentration of 250mg (2mL) per gallon for 2 hours.)
if i wanna fed them live brine do i just put the meds in the container where the brine shrimp will develop?

danu

The fact that the male responded is a very good sign. Sometimes it takes 24 hours after treatment for them to respond. In some cases, a single dip is not enough. If the female has not responded, you may have to go to the next step. Generally I recommend placing them in a hospital tank with a long term formalin bath at 25 mg/L (1 ml 37% formalin per 10 gal) after a FW dip. This is done for 6 days with formalin being dosed every other day. If they don't respond 24 hours after the FW dip then I would go with a 45 formalin bath at 250 mg/L (1 ml 37% formalin per gal) with heavy aeration. Sometimes, it takes several attempts to clean them up. The reason I use formalin is that I don't like doing multiple FW dips several days in a row and the formalin is a change of pace to attack the parasites. You have to get her eating for her to survive.
Dan

Originally Posted by DanU
http:///forum/post/3146360
The fact that the male responded is a very good sign. Sometimes it takes 24 hours after treatment for them to respond. In some cases, a single dip is not enough. If the female has not responded, you may have to go to the next step. Generally I recommend placing them in a hospital tank with a long term formalin bath at 25 mg/L (1 ml 37% formalin per 10 gal) after a FW dip. This is done for 6 days with formalin being dosed every other day. If they don't respond 24 hours after the FW dip then I would go with a 45 formalin bath at 250 mg/L (1 ml 37% formalin per gal) with heavy aeration. Sometimes, it takes several attempts to clean them up. The reason I use formalin is that I don't like doing multiple FW dips several days in a row and the formalin is a change of pace to attack the parasites. You have to get her eating for her to survive.
Dan
it was the females first time throwing up today. it was usually the male. isnt formalin baths for external parasites?
my problem is internal
but i need a separate tank for the formalin baths right?
what about hyposalinity?

ann83

Formalin (like FW dips) can help with parasites in the snout and gills, which is likely where your current problems are stemming from. I'd do the formalin treatments (exactly like Dan outlined them). A separate hospital tank is best. Make sure you add extra aeration since formalin lowers the available oxygen in the water. I don't see hyposalinity helping at this point, and I wouldn't use it with formalin, for sure.

danu

I wouldn't! I would get them cleaned up, eating properly with good nutrition and de-stress them before beginning the deworming process. It is a slow process that will require some patience.
Dan

dive girl

Originally Posted by DanU
http:///forum/post/3146360
Dan
6 days.
Dan already posted the instructions on the formalin bath.
Dan, do you think that she should put both seahorse in the hospital tank for the bath?
Will the formalin interfere with water quality testing results, should she test the water quality or just preform water changes?