Posiden's 20L

posiden

Well, I just can't break this itch to start a new tank. Being that I have most of the things needed I decided to setup a 20L. I need another small piece of rock or two. So, lets see how this tank turns out???LOL

I am going to use a PC light fixture that I have. Its a Current USA 2x65 Watt fixture. "IF" this tank turns out really nice I may just tear down the Bio Cube and move my halide to this tank. We shall see what happens. I want to go pretty minimal. I am not going to run any kind of sump. I plan to let it be as natural filtration as I can. Minimal at that. I have to weight my rock to let you know how much I have to put in there at the moment. Its dead rock right now.

A question I have for you folks.....
How bad would it be to start this tank off completely sterile? What I mean is, to start if off with no LR or LS. Maybe kick things off with a dose or two with MB7.

Here is a pic of the proposed rock work. Please tell me what you think.

posiden

Well, I'll post a pic tomorrow of the rock. We all know that when you take a rock scape apart it never goes back the way it was. I also didn't have quite enough epoxy putty to do the rock the way I showed it. So its a bit different now but I am moving forward since I "think" I like it. LOL

posiden

Thanks 2Quills.

Ok, so here is the new idea for the rock. Anybody have any suggestions on the placement? I'm gonna paint the back of the tank today black. That has just been a back drop.

This is head on to the tank

This is at a left angle to the tank.

meowzer

Where do you get those barnacle things????

Are you gonna use sand?

I'd put that curved piece over 2 others to make a cave/bridge type of structure

posiden

That's a nice idea. I like the height I get from it though. Do you think I could pull something off with the pile on the left side?

I got the barnacles at my LFS. I know they look a bit ugly, but I think I want a blenny in this tank. It was a big mass that had been glued together and I have broke it apart. I have another couple pieces I think.

meowzer

IDK...LOL....the bridge thing is the only thing that came to me ....I am awful at aquascaping and I have no create-ability

I like the barnacles, I have seen them for sale in some magazines, and wondered if they were real or rubber

my bi-color blennie would love it...LOL....

spanko

Since you can only edit and not delete posts........................................I hereby edit this post to nothing!

S

smartorl

Having one would have saved my blenny the trouble of ripping my scallop out of his shell so he could have an uber cool hangout.

Can't wait to watch it progress.

I always start my dwarf seahorse tanks sterile. Do you have any specific questions?

posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/379686/posiden-s-20l#post_3301329
Having one would have saved my blenny the trouble of ripping my scallop out of his shell so he could have an uber cool hangout.

Can't wait to watch it progress.

I always start my dwarf seahorse tanks sterile. Do you have any specific questions?

Well, I was always under the impression that LR or LS is needed to seed the micro fauna? Maybe I just don't know what micro fauna is.LOL

I figured if I just seed it with a dose or two of MB7 I should be good to go. I just want to be very careful with this tank and not bring in any pests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/379686/posiden-s-20l#post_3301321
Since you can only edit and not delete posts........................................I hereby edit this post to nothing!
Your funny. Stick around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/thread/379686/posiden-s-20l#post_3301319
IDK...LOL....the bridge thing is the only thing that came to me ....I am awful at aquascaping and I have no create-ability

I like the barnacles, I have seen them for sale in some magazines, and wondered if they were real or rubber

my bi-color blennie would love it...LOL....

No they are not rubber. Mine are real. I am not very good at the whole scape thing either. That's why I have asked. Since you replied....tell me what you think of this one. Oh yea, yes I do plan to have sand. I have a 30 Lb of Aragonite that is a .2-.5mm size. I should have plenty. I don't plan on it all going in there????

I labled this so everyone would know which way was up.LOL. This is a shot of the back glass. I got it painted with Krylon Fusion. I think it came out pretty good. This pic if on the inside where it counts, though I don't have any runs in the paint job.:) Looks like a mirror. You can see the front pane of glass in the back pane.

Here is how I put the tank back together now, using Meowzer's suggestion. What's the verdict on this one?

posiden

Well about 25lbs of sand and 3 gallons of RO/DI water is in the tank now. I have to make the rest of the water yet. I don't have any big containers and I'm not going to buy one just for this.

meowzer

I don;t see anything different with the rock....LOL....

altho I do see the mirror effect....looks great

posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/379686/posiden-s-20l#post_3301625
I don;t see anything different with the rock....LOL....

altho I do see the mirror effect....looks great

I will admit it is VERY subtle but, the three pieces of rock aren't scattered out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOVIETTACO
http:///forum/thread/379686/posiden-s-20l#post_3301659
I see you are back in the thick of things! Tank looks sweet so far, can't wait to see how you transform it.

Thanks. The last I poked into your thread, your tank is looking very nice. I'm liking it big time. I got the water in tonight. Things are still a bit cloudy. I can see the rock and the back, but its hazy. I'm torn as to whether or not I like the sand. It is pretty fine and full of shell pieces. Its different........

clatong

Looking good! I too am interested in the sterile set up using dry rock and dry sand, please let us know what method you use and how it turns out!

posiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by clatong http:///forum/thread/379686/posiden-s-20l#post_3302346
Looking good! I too am interested in the sterile set up using dry rock and dry sand, please let us know what method you use and how it turns out!

Thank you. I went ahead with the dry setup. I rinsed the sand off before it went into the tank. This way it would help with the dust storm. The tank is still slightly cloudy but that will pass I'm sure when the bacteria start to grow. I have my shrimp pellet in the tank so things will kick off. I still need to adjust the SG a bit, its at 1.020 right now.

Here is how it looks at the moment. The center rock reminds me of Mt. Crumpit from the Grinch. Maybe I should turn it too face the right.LOL

This one is to show you the sand bed. The jury is still out on this one. I kinda want to replace it with CC.