Pot Bellied Seahorses

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/360#post_3494641
AWWW im sorry to hear about him.. I hope everyone else is okay and your able to get a new horse soon so the others arent lonely...
Nobody is selling them...I mean NOBODY, I have searched all over the internet. I can't even get up with Seahorse Sam, the guy I purchased Fred from....

seahorsesam

Hi, I am sorry to hear that he died. I have only had one that had pouch proublems in 2006. After he bred he had a small piece of his pouch hanging out when he closed it back up . So when he tried to breed with the female he would miss the eggs because it was in his way. He eat great but could not ever breed again. I think your other seahorses will be ok. As long as they are eating and acting
the way they should. Sam

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorsesam http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/380#post_3494727
Hi, I am sorry to hear that he died. I have only had one that had pouch proublems in 2006. After he bred he had a small piece of his pouch hanging out when he closed it back up . So when he tried to breed with the female he would miss the eggs because it was in his way. He eat great but could not ever breed again. I think your other seahorses will be ok. As long as they are eating and acting
the way they should. Sam
I'm so gald to hear from you...I sent a PM, I need some fry tank details, and if possible... replace the horse I lost. I want to wait a little, maybe in November, to be sure the other horses continue to be fine...before I add another horse in the tank.

flower

Thank you Sam,
If I understand the set-up correctly...you have an in-tank refugium (for lack of a better term, a small tank sits inside a larger one)...the way it works is the water from the main tank circulates to the tank below it, which allows the two tanks to be the same temp running off a single chiller (nice)...the small tanks are inside the extra tank but water is not mixed. You add an airline (no stone) to move the water... and do daily water changes instead of having a filter system in the small fry tanks.
If I missed something, or misunderstood...let me know.
Are those fake plants...macros or what? Do the fry hitch at birth, or get trapped at the top of the water.... and if so...what should I do to keep them in the middle of the tank off the top? It looks like you use a sump system method to transfer water between the tanks...I will have to sit my tanks next to each other...I will have to get inventive.
Pick me out a nice big male...and as soon as I feel comfortable enough that all is well...I will send for him. Thanks so much for everything! Oh...and I need your e-mail so PM me please with that info, I used to have it but I can't find it....or I would have already sent messages when Fred got sick.

seahorsesam

Hi, That is correct. Email me on ebay. I have a plastic grass hitch post for sale. This way I can give you my email address. I use a plastic hitch post. They fry do hitch at birth. The air tube will keep the water moving to keep them from getting air intake. The fry are around 1/2" when born.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorsesam http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/380#post_3494811
Hi, That is correct. Email me on ebay. I have a plastic grass hitch post for sale. This way I can give you my email address. I use a plastic hitch post. They fry do hitch at birth. The air tube will keep the water moving to keep them from getting air intake. The fry are around 1/2" when born.
E-mail sent...I can't tell you how glad I am to have a life line to the potbelly breeder I purchased Fred and Freckles from. Now to plan my fry tank, if Spot and Freckles get in the family way I want to be ready...they have been going up to the top of the tank together...I have not yet seen any egg transferring yet, but that only means I didn't witness it...not that it hasn't happened.
That's a perfect fry hitch too, I like it.

flower

Update:
All the seahorses are alive and well. The Kuda had fry yesterday morning... which got me thinking again about the potbelly fry tank. I called a glass place, and I'm waiting on a call back to see if they will drill my tank. It's Sunday so I don't think they are open today, I will pursue that tomorrow if they don't call me back today. I thought I started a build thread on this but I can't find it.
It doesn't look like Spot is pregnant, not for lack of trying....I'm kind of half tempted to try to use the tank for the Kuda fry. Either way I need it drilled.

novahobbies

Good to know! Glad the horses are all doing well!
Hey, let's all try to update some new FTS pics this weekend, huh? I'll try after Saturday's WC...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/380#post_3501084
Good to know! Glad the horses are all doing well!
Hey, let's all try to update some new FTS pics this weekend, huh? I'll try after Saturday's WC...
LOL...See how you are...I need to harvest the macros... my tanks look terrible, the horses love it but..I can hardly see them. So I will post some tank shots when I finally get to the macro cleaning.
The canopy Seth made for me was a little tight fitting...When I say a "little tight" I mean I used a rubber mallet...It's a tall tank ,and then add 10 inches besides for the now seemingly permanant canopy... and even my 5 foot 8 inch cleaning lady on a step ladder can't reach the bottom of the tank to clear the macros. So I am going to have to get out the mallet and get the canopy off...maybe I can rub some oil on it to get it to move. I should have it remade a tad larger but...I just haven't done it...The dreaded moment has arrived where I have to get it back off.

flower

Well I got the bulk heads...I ordered everything 3/4...but the strainers are too small and won't fit.
...any sugestions?

flower

UPDATE:
My tank looks awesome, (pictures maybe later on) my cleaning lady did a great job, so I have help now to keep my tanks maintained. I contacted Seahorse Sam to see if he had another male available...fingers crossed that he does. I want to replace Fred, and I finally have some cash not designated for a doctor come February 1st.
I can get a picture of the tank, but the horses seem to be nocturnal...although they come out when I feed them, right now I can't find a single one, they go deep in the rocks and disappear. How something so large in a tank with just a little rock (compared to a reef) could disappear completely, amazes me. In the evening they come out and swim all over. I took pictures but I can't find them on the camera...I must have done something wrong.
No babies, but Spot does lots of dancing with Freckles...since I have to hire help just to care for my tanks, I now have a brand new 15g tank complete with stand, lights and filter, sitting in my garage...I decided to not set up the tank for fry. I have the bulkheads and it's ready to be set up, I don't have the ability to climb my little step ladder to service it, and fry needs constant attention.
I don't mind a bit getting older...it's the always sick part I hate. All young people looking at this thread...Take care of your body, everything you do to it will come back to haunt you later, from broken bones, strained muscles to what you eat.

flower

I got up with Seahorse Sam...I will have a new female and male potbelly come the 1st...... $150.00 each, I may purchase one more male, but not right away. It should be really interseting to see a baby next to the ones already in the tank...I remember one female (Flutter) looked like a pipefish when she was young...now she has a huge belly and is at least 4Xs larger.

novahobbies

Pics! Pics! I need some potbelly pics! (and yes, I could take a side shot of myself in the mirror, but not that kind of potbelly....)

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/380#post_3510225
Pics! Pics! I need some potbelly pics! (and yes, I could take a side shot of myself in the mirror, but not that kind of potbelly....)

LOL..I bid on a male and female potbelly on e-Bay from Seahorse Sam. So far I'm the highest bidder (4 days to go) the bid ends at the same time for both...Sam is selling a large male for $150.00 + $58.00 shipping.
By the last day of January I will know if I won, and I should have the new couple by the next day. I will take pictures and post them. If I win the bid for $100.00 each, I will save $100.00 (because he is asking 150.00 each for them) and since both are from the same place the $58.00 shipping fee can be combined to save on that too.
If I purchase the large male, I pay more. I don't mind a baby for $50.00 less...they grow fast.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/380#post_3510654
U still the high bidder??
So far so good...tomorrow is the last day....21 hours and 47 minutes. Also Seahorse Sam said he would combine shipping, and it will only cost around $35.00 instead of $50.00...I bid on each horse for $100.00 each....fingers and toes crossed. The last couple of hours is the time lots of people get bid out. However, they need a cold tank, so there's not too much competition for potbellies.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465934
So I came here looking for pictures
. So you still have the other horse tank with the columns correct?
Yes, that is a 56g column tank with 4 Kuda seahorses, 2 bluestripe pipefish and a Hectors goby. The 3 male Kuda seahorses are about 8.5 inches now. The 1 female is about 7.
This tank is the 90g reef I converted to a cold water potbelly seahorse tank, There are 3 horses in that tank now (2 females and 2 male), and I just ordered another male and female (4 to 5 inches according to the breeder, Seahorse Sam) so they are very young. I think the pots I have in there are about 9 inches now. (snout to tail tip)
THAT'S RIGHT......I WON THE BID!!!

We have sub zero temps here in my part of Illinois right now. So my new critters won't be sent until Wednesday when there should be a break in the weather, according to the weather man. I should have them by Thursday, and I will post those pics for everyone to see.
I loaned my camera out, or I would post an update on the two tanks...I should get the camera back this Monday.