Pot Bellied Seahorses

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/340#post_3493771
If you need a Diamox, just send me your address. Think you only need one to flush a pouch.
Thank you...I know you need that med for your sick girl. You almost got yourself in trouble giving it away once already. Where can I get some? Vet...doctor..??? What dose size 5mg ...1mg??? I should have that stuff on hand anyway or at least know how to get it if I need it. I think I read once upon a time ago that SH.org actually sells the needed meds. ...I'm still sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for some answers.
Potbelly horses evacuate their pouches all the time, and can swell to the size of Lg chicken eggs. The opening is so much larger than the others. I'm afraid it won't be the same procedure to get the needed results.

meowzer

FLOWER....I will send you the bottle I have
Give me your address, and I will send it out tomorrow (it's at home) LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/360#post_3493781
FLOWER....I will send you the bottle I have
Give me your address, and I will send it out tomorrow (it's at home) LOL
PM is on it's way ...Thank you so much. I remember your problems, I could just cry. Fred is my favorite, even sick he comes to the front of the tank and looks at me...he was never shy and always friendly (as friendly as a fish can be anyway...LOL).

meowzer

GOT IT.....and I may be able to help you with the other thing too :)
I will be home by 7 tonight and I will look first thing

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/340#post_3493780
Thank you...I know you need that med for your sick girl. You almost got yourself in trouble giving it away once already. Where can I get some? Vet...doctor..??? What dose size 5mg ...1mg??? I should have that stuff on hand anyway or at least know how to get it if I need it. I think I read once upon a time ago that SH.org actually sells the needed meds. ...I'm still sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for some answers.
Potbelly horses evacuate their pouches all the time, and can swell to the size of Lg chicken eggs. The opening is so much larger than the others. I'm afraid it won't be the same procedure to get the needed results.
No worries; I have 10 tabs still, so one or two wouldn't have made much difference. I'm glad you can get it from Lois, though...I did forget that she still had some. It's a 250mg tablet, you can see the instructions in the ORG site if you use it. Really hoping they can help you out...I'm lurking on the thread to see what they say.

flower

Somebody said to try plain saltwater first...I have to find a syringe. I have plenty of them without a needle...I have the plastic tip off of the aptasia X that attaches to a syringe (looks too large to me) . I'm going to call my doctor and a vet right now.

flower

I called my vet...I can pick up a syringe. I am so afraid to try this, you have no idea. The last thing i want to do is torture him his last few hours of life on earth. BUTTTT...if I do this he might get more than a few hours. I just read their life span is 10 years.

meowzer

I know the feeling Flower.....I was terrified when I had to treat Bigun...and give him that shot :(
You can do it tho.....

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/360#post_3493823
I know the feeling Flower.....I was terrified when I had to treat Bigun...and give him that shot :(
You can do it tho.....
I'm waiting on the go ahead from the SH.org folks. He isn't doing anything right now but resting, hitched in the front of the tank so I can see him. He is still breathing hard, so I know he is in pain. He hasn't eaten anything day #2 and I don't hold much hope of him recovering. If he would just eat.....he could keep up his strength and have a little fight in him.

flower

HE ATE!!!!
He is okay...I don't know how or why but he seems just fine.
He is swimming around with the others hunting for food like nothing is wrong at all. I watched him snick his food twice, so whatever it was....he seems fine right now. I'm going to get all the needed supplies so I have them on hand...and hope to the highest I will never need them. My vet said I just need to fill out some paperwork and I can get the syringes and small catheters or whatever else I might need.
You guys are the greatest...offering help and "holding my hand" thru all of this. Thank you so much!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/360#post_3493872
That is awesome news!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

His pouch is still all deflated...but they do that normally. As long as he eats and swims...hunting for whatever hits the bottom...it's all good. I keep watchimg him, just to make sure it's really true. That was hard, just thinking about him being sick was aweful. Now if Nova's wild girl will get well we can all really rejoice.

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/360#post_3493870
HE ATE!!!!
He is okay...I don't know how or why but he seems just fine.
He is swimming around with the others hunting for food like nothing is wrong at all. I watched him snick his food twice, so whatever it was....he seems fine right now. I'm going to get all the needed supplies so I have them on hand...and hope to the highest I will never need them. My vet said I just need to fill out some paperwork and I can get the syringes and small catheters or whatever else I might need.
You guys are the greatest...offering help and "holding my hand" thru all of this. Thank you so much!
All RIIIIIIGHT!

meowzer

YIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE....So glad you did not have to use the needle..
I am still going to send you the diamox......I have no need for it....and you may one day

seahorsesam

Hi, I have had my potbellied seahorses for 13 years and have had many fry from them. It takes 28-30 days for them to have the fry.
I keep the temperature at 67 degrees,PH at 8.2 and salinity at 1.024. I have never had any problem with them getting sick. Years ago
when the temperature in my aqarium went up to 72 degrees that was the only time I have ever seen them act funny. The fry is easy to raise just use the same water from the adults aquarium and replace the water you siphone out of the fry tank three times a day.
good luck,Sam

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorsesam http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/360#post_3494395
Hi, I have had my potbellied seahorses for 13 years and have had many fry from them. It takes 28-30 days for them to have the fry.
I keep the temperature at 67 degrees,PH at 8.2 and salinity at 1.024. I have never had any problem with them getting sick. Years ago
when the temperature in my aqarium went up to 72 degrees that was the only time I have ever seen them act funny. The fry is easy to raise just use the same water from the adults aquarium and replace the water you siphone out of the fry tank three times a day.
good luck,Sam
SAM!!! These are your babies! I hope you come back on and talk to me, and look at the video. Have you ever had a pot act like Fred is doing? He acted like he had some kind of pouch problem, and while now he is swimming about and eating a little he still isn't up to snuff. I'm going to seahorce.org and see if I can find you there. It's like you dropped off the face of the earth, I'm so glad you posted...but I'm not done with you....LOL

flower

Sad update:
I lost the seahorse....I found Fred in a corner not breathing. His pouch was deflated but not looking bad, his body looks like nothing was wrong with him. He seemed to be "on the mend" he wasn't his old self, but he was eating a little and more active....then before lights out tonight, I find him dead. The other horses seem just fine...swimming, very active and eating like little piggies.
SIGH....RIP my little Fred.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/360#post_3494628
So sorry Flower....yet another seahorse mystery :(
I'm sure he had some kind of pouch problem, but he acted better, had started to eat and I thought he would pull thru, he was a big boy too...my favorite. Whatever it was, I hope it won't affect the others.
I don't know how to even replace him. Those horses cost $145.00 each, then shipping from Hawaii...I think that's another $80.00.
The original breeder.... SeahorseSam, posted on my thread on breeding them, then disappeared off the face of the earth again. He sold me Fred and another female for $120.00 each plus regular local shipping of $39.00 ... If I can get a hold of him I will purchase another horse from him, but after I'm sure the others are unaffected and I'm confident it an isolated thing affecting only Fred. Potbellies are not easy to find, let alone purchase.

S

smallreef

AWWW im sorry to hear about him.. I hope everyone else is okay and your able to get a new horse soon so the others arent lonely...