Pot Bellied Seahorses

S

smallreef

Your decor, unless it is pourous, doesnt house any bacteria..it may have some on the surface but I cant imagine enough to make a huge difference when changing out...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/300#post_3491875
Your decor, unless it is pourous, doesnt house any bacteria..it may have some on the surface but I cant imagine enough to make a huge difference when changing out...
The pieces of resin root decor are pretty large, and takes up half the tank. Not just on the outside surface but there are large holes to help it sink, so wouldn't that mean bacteria lines the inside surface as well?
I thought bacteria lives on the surface of everything in the tank....that it's equal to what is needed. So to remove too much filter media, rock, sand or decor could cause an imbalance. I don't have a lot of rock in the tank, I relied on the root ornament for bacteria to have something to grow on. Now I'm afraid to remove it all at once.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3490030
Normall you wouldnt set it down you would hang it so it could drip...if you want 1to side of the wheel to look great and the other doesnt matter as much (as long as it still gets coated) id build a PVC. Structure to hold it up flat to pour on the 1st coat make sure thats dry then brush on the back...
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef
http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3489997
Yes... epoxy but I am not sure which epoxy is marine safe....You lay it flat and POUR it all over and then flip it over :) makes a smooth candy shell
Hi,
I coated the wood pieces, and they look plastic they are sealed so well, the epoxy was an awesome suggestion.Thank you! I made sure I got marine epoxy without the solvents that others have. I asked the manufacturer what was safe for fish tanks and he assured me it was the right one, different epoxy resins for various projects is all they sell. I hung them up by a string and painted them with it. I will do another coat tomorrow and post some pictures.

flower

Picture update on the now sealed wood pieces....
My work station...the plastic in the cup with the brush are all toss aways I purchased from the dollar store. It is already turning solid by the time I took this picture..kind of cool how the liquid turned into plastic.

The pieces: they are 24" and my tank is 27" tall, so the wheel will be quite large for the horses to hitch to and swim thru. The anchore will have a plastic chain when added to the tank.

I treid to get a good pic showing the wood grain.

flower

I just realized I have another problem...wood floats...it only sinks after it's water logged. I might have to zip tie my pieces to large rocks.

novahobbies

Wow, those pieces look fantastic!
Hmm.....those are some pretty large pieces, and will need a lot of weight to keep them down. You have rocks big enough?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/320#post_3493019
Wow, those pieces look fantastic!
Hmm.....those are some pretty large pieces, and will need a lot of weight to keep them down. You have rocks big enough?
Thanks, that wheel will make some great hitches, and I have some awesome real looking plastic chain to put on the anchor that will make hitches on that... they are 24 inches tall, the anchor will be tilted to the right at an angle and the wheel will tilted towards the back...the very ends should be around 3 inches from the top of the tank. I have a table full of good sized rock that should hold them down nice. I was thinking of using some pond foam and zip ties to attach some rock to them to weigh them down.
I'm a little concerned about the good bacteria being removed if I take out all the pieces that I have in the tank now and replace them. I might get out the extra can I have, and put the pieces in there with some shrimp and let them cycle so the rock will have an already started coloney. It's now base rock...it's the extra I removed from the reef tank, and it has dried and been rained on and all kinds of non-tank exposure.
Smallreef doesn't think the branch decor in the tank holds that much bacteria, but I'm worried because it's hollow, which means the good bacteria is inside and out, and I will be removing quite a bit of macros when I swap the decor....I have two big shells, a fake skull and maybe four 8 inch rocks that will remain of the original set up, so all I am replacing are the huge resin branches in the center of the tank, and the big resin fake coral in the corner.
What do you think...should I cycle the peices before I use them... or .....go ahead and swap them out...or...swap out half now, and after a bit add the new decor to the other side? Thanks for your help.
A picture to remind you what I have in there now.

novahobbies

I agree with Smalls on this one. Most of your bacteria load is going to be in the rock. It's a question of surface area: the rock is essentially like a sponge, with a HUGE amount of surface area compared to its relative exterior size. The branch ornaments have two sides...outside, and inside. Not nearly as much surface area as the rock when you get right down to it.
If it were me, I'd leave the big fake coral for now, remove the branch ornaments and add your new stuff, then in a month take the fake coral out. I don't think you're going to see much of a chemical shift in the tank.

flower

Update: Pictures
Okay...I couldn't work on my project during the Holiday....I have my new pieces at the last stage. I attached the rock and used zip ties and the black pond foam. I purchased some awesome plastic chain that looks so real I expected it to clink like metal when I moved it. It's heavier than the first chain I had, and it doesn't float. Once the foam is good and cured I will add them to the tank. I will have to trim some of the foam off since it really swells....so picture time.
I worked on the wheel in my kitchen sink so I could get the angle I wanted it to have by leaning it on the faucet
I have more rock to attach to the back but I have to let the front dry first, I need the weight or it will float for sure.

Well I see my drips now ... I didn't notice them until I looked at the picture.
SIGH...It's just never perfect.

The anchor...I still have a section of chain to add that will be hanging free
but I didn't want to get foam on it...I used the cabinet to hold it in place.

The side view of the rocks.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/320#post_3493174
looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, the pictures don't do them justice. ....whew, I spent some cash but I have what I want, this was my Happy Birthday to me project. Last year it was the 56g Kuda tank, I give myself some really nice birthday presents...LOL
I was a little excited when I got up this morning and put them on the floor. They are good and heavy and angled just right. I don't think I even need to add more rock onto the wheel, but I'm still thinking about it, I have to trim away some foam bubbles. Then I will post another picture of them all finished. Finally after that....it will be time to put them in the tank and just leave the fake coral as Nova suggested. I hope you guys are right about the bacteria thing...I'm kind of anxious to see them in the tank so it's not like you guys had to twist me arm...LOL.

novahobbies

WOW, those look amazing!! Really, really fantastic.
I'd add a little more rock to the wheel. My gut feeling (could be TOTALLY wrong) is that this is still going to try to float.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/320#post_3493240
WOW, those look amazing!! Really, really fantastic.
I'd add a little more rock to the wheel. My gut feeling (could be TOTALLY wrong) is that this is still going to try to float.
Okay, pictures of the finished product.
I agree, and I added a nice big one to the back...The wheel alone weighed about 3 pounds, with the rock on it...it now weighs 16 pounds according to my scales. The anchor weighed about 2.5 pounds and now weighs 11 pounds with the rock. LOL...That is like bowling ball weight, do I'm pretty sure they will stay put and not float now for certain.
The front view: The chain will make awesome hitches.

The back, top view:

A full rock view of all around the wheel:

A full rock view of the anchor all around:

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/320#post_3493278
Happy Birthday!!!!
I would consider adding more rock. Foam also floats.
LOL...My B-day was the 3rd, I purchased the pieces and had to seal them and everything before I could actually enjoy them, that's why I called them my birthday projects.
I'm going to run some water in the plastic garbage tub (fish only) and check to be sure tomorrow after the foam is totally cured. I cut a bunch of it off, but since I need the foam to hold the rock I don't want to trim too much. I have to be able to lift this thing and put it in the tank...LOL

flower

Update pictures. The new wooden pieces are finally in.
The work in progress...I had to remove the old to make room.
See the big rock on the right of the anchor...yep it floats, I needed more rock

Ever the brave thrill seeker...while all the others headed for cover,
Freckles decided to check out the new hitch, the new piece was
just added and she wasted no time to check it out. I think she likes it.

Cloudy tank after I just got finished putting in piece #2

A close up of the 24" anchor...I used live rock in the back to hold it down,
I didn't realize how much live rock was in the tank, so loosing bacteria shouldn't be a problem.

Close up of the 24" wheel. Fred, if you look close in pic #1 decided that was
his spot and he wasn't going to move. As soon as the wheel went in, he went back
to that spot.

Before: The red macro is everywhere, and without a structure it just looked aweful.
This was right before a big harvest.

Now...when the macros cover it, the shape of the pieces should still stand out. Like it does in the
Kuda seahorse tank. At least that's the plan. The background now has a long bubble in it.
BIG SIGH...it's never perfect. Now I need to figure out what to do with the background.

S

smallreef

OH OH OH I LOVE IT!!!!
you need a fake lobster in there too though!!!
freaking AWESOME!
They are great in there... I love the positioning!