Pot Bellied Seahorses

S

smallreef

Normall you wouldnt set it down you would hang it so it could drip...if you want 1to side of the wheel to look great and the other doesnt matter as much (as long as it still gets coated) id build a PVC. Structure to hold it up flat to pour on the 1st coat make sure thats dry then brush on the back...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3490030
Normall you wouldnt set it down you would hang it so it could drip...if you want 1to side of the wheel to look great and the other doesnt matter as much (as long as it still gets coated) id build a PVC. Structure to hold it up flat to pour on the 1st coat make sure thats dry then brush on the back...
Post #295 you said do one side then flip it over. LOL...if it is a free for all on how to go about it and not some secret trick, I will find a way to mamage. I want to do a wooden ships wheel, and a wooden anchor...Each are 24"... I can use plastic chain or rope around the anchor, and the natural rods on the wheel will make good hitches.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/300#post_3490092
Post #295 you said do one side then flip it over. LOL...if it is a free for all on how to go about it and not some secret trick, I will find a way to mamage. I want to do a wooden ships wheel, and a wooden anchor...Each are 24"... I can use plastic chain or rope around the anchor, and the natural rods on the wheel will make good hitches.
I will make a little stand out of PVC to hold the wood in place from the back...I will pour the epoxy over and wipe up the drips...Then when it is dry flip it over and do the same...LOL, at least that's the plan. I have everything selected, I just have to wait for the 1st.
I also might have to mount the wheel some way so it sits upright in the tank..any thoughts on that?

gemmy

Flower, for the chain you can get a plastic linked ring bird toy and spray paint it with krylon paint to be the color you want. Then, you can coat it in epoxy so the paint doesn't chip.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/300#post_3490336
Flower, for the chain you can get a plastic linked ring bird toy and spray paint it with krylon paint to be the color you want. Then, you can coat it in epoxy so the paint doesn't chip.
Hi,
LOL....I was thinking toy bird chain as I typed, Jellybean (my parrot) gave me the idea. Those links come in all kinds of different colors...and Halloween is coming, I can find all the worn looking grey chain I want. It would make great hitches.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/300#post_3490695
I think the tank needs a sunken ship. The tank looks great!!!!!!!
Thanks Gemmy, I had given up that anyone even cared to look at the video, and that I had bored everyone concerning my potbelly seahorses to death already...LOL
I looked at the sunken ships...they are smooth with holes to swim in and out of...not really seahorse kind of decor. I thought a ships wheel with all those spokes and an achor with plastic chain around it would make great hitches and look pretty cool.
The macros needed to be harvested, and my health won't allow me to do as I used to (both tanks require me to climb on a step stool)...I hired some help for the tanks. The lady will come out once a month to do water changes and harvest the macros if need be. She harvested the macros in the 90g, and did water changes on both tanks last Wednesday. All I did was set up the new mixed saltwater, and direct her on what I wanted done...

flower

Picture update: Looks like I might be having babies soon...
The male is not pregnant..he is puffed up to get the female to pay attention to him

The dance has begun

This is his belly normally...it's a little blurry but it gives you an idea of his
normal size.

Look all the way to the right...it looks like he swallowed an egg...LOL
To give you an idea of how much he puffed up.

His tummy is sooo white the camera shines off of it.

I have my wood anchor, and my wooden ships wheel is to arive today (both 24"). The epoxy sealent is to arrive tomorrow.
I have some plastic chain and I'm going to redo the decor in the tank. I wil post pictures when I get it all done.

S

smallreef

Crazy looking and cant wait to see your new tank accessories!

flower

After a while he bows forward and expells the water out...then it looks all druppy for a few seconds and I can see the pouch opening, it's huge for such a little critter. I don't know if they are actually old enough to breed, not for lack of trying.
The gestation time is supposed to be 30 days, and two months ago I saw Spot and Freckles doing what looked like an egg transfer...she was right on the pouch, they were wraped around each other floating together. Spot couldn't upright himself and looked like he was going to die...after an hour or so he was fine. It gave new meaning to the word swoon. The lovers in these pictures is Fred and Freckles...she's a bit of a tart, messing with both fellows.
I will post update pictures when I get the tank redecorated.

flower

I need advice:
I have my wood anchor and wheel...I love them, they will be perfect for what I want to do. The anchor came with a nylon grey rope and I removed it to seal the wood in epoxy. Should I re-attach the rope or leave it off? It's just for looks because the rope is no good for hitches.... I got plastic chain that would work good for hitches...but it floats .....what should I do? Rope looks okay floating a bit, but chain looks weird floating.

S

smallreef

can you poke holes with say a safety pin just large enough for water to get in and put a dab of superglue gel over it once its filled?

flower

Okay...new comcern, How do I remove the old decor to replace it with the new, and not create an imbalance in the good bacteria?
Do you folks think it is necessary to remove only part of the old decor and let the wheel or anchor seed before adding the other? All that is in the 90g are 5 peppermint shrimps, snails, 4 seahorses and 2 very tiny blue/green chromis. I have a little bit of rock, live sand and macroalgae besides the twisted roots decor that I want to remove and replace with my wooden anchor and ships wheel.
I can't say the tank doesn't have much bio-load because the horses are little messy boogers.