Pot Bellied Seahorses

travelerjp98

Very nice job... it looks great! Thanks so much for posting the pics. I might do this on my tank.
I loved the pic to show how transparent it is... who was that little one? And gotta love the one gsd walking by too :)
Maybe you should package that mesh material, put a picture of a fish on the package, and sell it for a crazy price. :)))
"Flowers ultra reef aquarium light penetration thin top material"

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/260#post_3484523
Very nice job... it looks great! Thanks so much for posting the pics. I might do this on my tank.
I loved the pic to show how transparent it is... who was that little one? And gotta love the one gsd walking by too :)
Maybe you should package that mesh material, put a picture of a fish on the package, and sell it for a crazy price. :)))
"Flowers ultra reef aquarium light penetration thin top material"
LOL...Thanks Guys,
That is one of my granddaughters. Emily she is 9 years old. LOL...you can only see the dogs butt and tail. I wouldn't mind making one for the folks on the site...mass production? I don't think so. I still need to enclose the back. Now I'm thinking...velcro and screen material because the eggcrate is so brittle and I have to remove the canopy to do anything in the tank.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses#post_3465934
So I came here looking for pictures
. So you still have the other horse tank with the columns correct?
LOL...I can post videos now....Yes, I still have the column tank... it's a 56g and doing really well. I have a thread titled 56g new tall tank or something like that...if you search 56g you should find it...I posted a video as a test, it isn't a very good video but you can see the abundant macros and one of the horses, they can hide too well in the macros to see.
The macros need to be harvested really bad in both tanks. I keep planning to do it, but I run out of energy so fast. I have a lady who helps me do housework, and she is planning on coming out tomorrow to help me with the tanks. Once they are cleaned up I will post some new pictures or videos. I also ordered some new stuff that shoulld arrive Friday.
Catalina goby
25 more Margarita snails
5 blue/green chromis (I'm really looking forward to these guys)
As usual, no site had all the critters I wanted at one time. I wanted the pickbar goby so bad, but then out of the 4 sites I order from...none had the pinkbar +. I even made a mesh top so I could keep the pinkbar safe from carpet surfing... I decided to go with the one who had most of what I wanted. Shipping costs are so high that there is no way I can make different orders from each site.

flower

I did a water change on the 90g last night, the whole tank looks brighter, and I did harvest the macros and pull some hair algae out. I finally got the skimmer settled down and running smooth.
I have new critters arriving today, some blue/green chromis should add some dazzle to the tank. All that red will make a good backdrop. I will post a video after it's all set up...no QT. My little 10g isn't large enough and since seahorses are immune to ich, I'm going to take my chances. Them and a tiny catalina goby is all the fish that will be in the tank, I couldn't get the pinkbar I wanted.
For my friends waiting for macros:
I won't be sending the macros I harvested from the 90g, that tank has HA and I don't want to spread the problem to others.
I will be harvesting the 56g today, and those macros I will share. (once the macros are harvested, I will do another video of that tank) LOL..maybe then I can find the seahorses in there.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3485718
pictures??? :)
LOL...Nope, I'm doing a short video...LOL
Two chromis were DOA, I have a guarantee so I'm not worried about a replacement, but what a bummer. It looks like I will have three. They are pretty small, not much bigger than the catalina goby which looks happy enough. I hope I can see it after it gets in the tank. So as soon as they are acclimated...I will post.
I also have the macros I was sharing all boxed and ready to go as soon as the new guys are in.

flower

Okay..Video. Excuse the hair algae, and the cleaning lady was there working so this is the best I have for now...Freckles was very interested in the funny looking new tank mates.

travelerjp98

OMG... freckles the seahorse and the new chromis are SOOOO CUTE... and so FULL OF PERSONALITY... I LOVE them... Now I want them...

And... this is a little weird... but your voice is just the way I thought it would be... Idk why... LOL

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3485745
OMG... freckles the seahorse and the new chromis are SOOOO CUTE... and so FULL OF PERSONALITY... I LOVE them... Now I want them...

And... this is a little weird... but your voice is just the way I thought it would be... Idk why... LOL
LOL...I hope it's a good sound. I always thought I sounded like I had a cold on a recording.

novahobbies

Cool video there!! And yes, you sound perfectly normal. I don't know why we all tend to think we sound "weird" in recording....it's a universal thing I guess. Personally I HATE the sound of my voice on recordings.
Freckles is such a trip! Very beautiful horse, too.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3485931
Cool video there!! And yes, you sound perfectly normal. I don't know why we all tend to think we sound "weird" in recording....it's a universal thing I guess. Personally I HATE the sound of my voice on recordings.
Freckles is such a trip! Very beautiful horse, too.
Yep, Potbelly seahorses are very entertaining to watch.
There was so much going on in the background on that little video. I was afraid Jellybean was going to start screaming for my attention and I had to talk to him to keep him calm...the cleaning lady was banging around the vacuum cleaner getting it out of the closet, which is why the bird started up in the first place, he loves the vacuum noise...then she noticed the two dead chromis in the bucket and wanted to know if I was keeping them for a reason, or knew that they were dead...I finally stopped recording.

flower

I need some decorative help....
I don't like the way my tank looks now. I liked it when I first set it up, but I should have realized the macros would cover the branches, and it just looks terrible. The macros look good in the 56g because the pillars give some form to allow the eye to follow.....The branches in the 90g go every which way.
I looked into getting some pillars for the 90g but nothing is tall enough and custom pillars cost $44.00 each and I need about 8 of them to fill in the back. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can improve the look of this tank?
I NEED the macros to absorb the extra nutrients because these guys make the Kuda horses look like Aristocrats. Not to mention that once the tank is seeded...the macros are there to stay. I can harvest them but they cover everything, which I want but there has to be a way to make it look good....I hope. Any ideas...LOL, I was looking at a crocodile skull..
I would love a big ship wreck wheel but I can't find anything bigger than 7 inches. I can find wood (not suited to be submerged) I need something made for fish tanks. Or does anyone know how to treat wood so it can be submerged...that TANKED show does it all the time.

S

smallreef

Yes... epoxy but I am not sure which epoxy is marine safe....You lay it flat and POUR it all over and then flip it over :) makes a smooth candy shell

flower

Okay...I found a huge selection of marine epoxy and some need a hardener...any idea what I need to look for ? They have a clear coat that doesn't need a hardener and then they have all kinds of selections and I'm not sure what to get.
LOL...I may have stumbled onto a solution to my back porch. It needs to be sanded and repainted...can I use marine epoxy to seal it so the paint will hold up to the weather? I wouldn't mind painting it with marine paint if need be...I paid a fellow $600.00 to do my porch and I would like it to last, he is supposed to get started towards the end of September. I have to purchase the paint.

S

smallreef

For the tank...do the one with the hardener...for your porch if you use marine paint (no need to spend the $ on epoxy) and put some fine sand ontop while hes painting it will last for like 6-10 years and be slip resistenet, lol the but marine paint is the way to go for wood that gets wet constantly.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3489997
Yes... epoxy but I am not sure which epoxy is marine safe....You lay it flat and POUR it all over and then flip it over :) makes a smooth candy shell
I have to ask...if I work on a piece of wood decor, and just pour the epoxy over it...how do I prevent the item I'm covering from being sealed to whatever is under it? Depending on the hardener...it can be dry within 12 to 25 minutes...do you have any idea how long I should wait before placing it in the tank?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef
http:///t/391007/pot-bellied-seahorses/280#post_3490010
For the tank...do the one with the hardener...for your porch if you use marine paint (no need to spend the $ on epoxy) and put some fine sand ontop while hes painting it will last for like 6-10 years and be slip resistenet, lol the but marine paint is the way to go for wood that gets wet constantly.
Thank you! A solution to the back porch is worth it all...