Project Fishroom underway for new 240 setup

karak40

Also the type of wood you used makes a difference. my woodwork is solid red oak. what kind of wood is your made of?

acrylic51

Maple is the wood I'm using......I've worked with Oak and Red Oak alot and don't really care for the open grains as much anymore.......They can be done really nice, but alot of time spent with filler to get an ultra smooth finish.......
I'll have to check it out......I just got back from my "dealer" Lowes and if I would have read this first I would have picked up a can for testing......I just have an addiction with Lowes....

acrylic51

Wanted to post some pics of the Lumenarc reflectors......Excuse the dust haven't fully cleaned up in the filter room.....The pics are shot from behind the tank in the filter room and ballasts and DC4HD's are mounted as well above the tank with no issues of water leaking or dripping on my vital electrical components....

reefkprz

can I say I hate and worship you at the same time. I absolutly love the home brew carpentry. Very Skillfull. (understatement) when I own not rent I hope You will look at similar pictures and be just as jealous as I am now. SOOOOOO jealous. its a thing of beauty. I'm just babbling now...

acrylic51

I love looking at peoples work.....It shows how much dedication and time they put into the hobby......I've never bought any stand, because I don't trust them and you don't get what you really need unless you have it custom built.....I'll be looking forward to seeing your pics......I wish (might) I had use stonework somewhere in the finish of the front of the tank.....
I saw the big tank setup on ReefCentral with the stonework and it was very, very nice, which made me start thinking.....Not crazy about the stone choice, but very distinctive, and the whole setup is amazing!!!!!! Again Thanks!!!!!!

acrylic51

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
oh by the way.. after seeing the pics here my GF counts herself lucky that we rent not own.
She might consider herself lucky now, but just think you have time to plan, and replan, and save and replan, and it'll just be bigger than she imagined.....I wish I had taken the whole garage, but who knows???.........

lubeck

Can you elaborate on lighting a little, I really don't know what type of lighting you are using, i've never seen that type of reflector set up.

acrylic51

Hey what's up Lubek!!!! I'm using standard PFO magnetic ballasts driving SE MH bulbs.....I chose to use Lumenarc III reflectors which give off the most light reflectiveness downwards on a tank......You won't find to many places that carry the reflectors.....SunlightSupply carries, them and I know Custom Aquatics carries them as well....
Most people shy from them because of the space they require....I think most people try to keep their canopy low profile IMO......I had bought and had the standard PFO reflectors in my room and then just happened to see Custom had them on sale and I jumped on them.....It wasn't any easy swap since I had built the canopy for the PFO (spider) reflectors......to keep them off the tank at the same height as the other reflectors and to cut down on heat issues I had to hack openings in the canopy to and use trim and mount the reflectors actually up on top of the canopy......You can only see the reflectors when I have the doors open on the back of the utility portion of the canopy which houses the ballasts and such.....
Here's a pic of them from below...sorry for the quality and not being centered, but trying to keep the camera out of the tank.......

acrylic51

Started working on the plumbing for the OceansMotions 8Way......haven't gotten to far really though.....Have the pump set in it's proximity, and right now waiting on PVC to dry.....Had to do the usually paint job on it.....
I started glueing the piping that will run off the OM along the top that will connect to the "Revs" and Omni Nozzles.......I'm not sure yet, but I might bury a couple of the lines off the OM to get the surge from the very bottom as well.....OM will start out running on a Sequence Dart, but have a Barracuda sitting patiently in the box.........

lubeck

Hey thanks for clearing that up for me. I wasn't sure if you were going all t5. what made you go with the se halides? do they make "your" reflector for de halide bulbs?
I have had my 4way oceanmotion for 4 months or so running with a DART sequence. I really love it but......... I have 1-1/4" intake and return leading into the 4way with 1" returns. I feel i am missing alot of flow but have spent sooo much money on the grey sch. 80 pipe i don't want to do it over. plus the 4way has 1" threaded holes. Next tank will be predrilled for the cl.

lubeck

I think you should break out the baracuda for a tank that size especially if your going sps. my tank is only 110ga. with the DART and a mag18 coming from my 75gal sump/fuge.
Are you using 2" plumbing for your cl?

acrylic51

The lighting was personal choice.....I'm by no means a fan of DE lighting....all the hype with the run cooler and such I just can't buy....They can't run any cooler than SE, 1 IMO they are enclosed and 2 they are overdriven resulting in shorter lifespan as well.......There's tons of pros and cons, and plus the electronic ballast isn't cracked up to what others say....the energy savings is very questionable IMO....Maybe over the long haul????? they pull more as well, so you tell me what's savings.... Bottom line it all comes down to PAR and with the XM 10k's and the ballasts excellent PAR........
Why did you go with 1 1/4" plumbing on the 4Way? I ran all 2" on my CL and I'm going to continue it right to the input of the Dart pump which is 2" and then out of the output of the pump with 2", but then use a bushing to go to 1.50" unfortunately......then from there out with 1" lines.....Did you use any unions so you could remove lines if needed? I'm thinking about using unions, but not really sure.....More money and painting, and super easy to take the cutters and cut the lines if needed??? Your thoughts!!!!!!

reefeel

I did my stand in Miniwax Red Mohagany. The only thing is, is that you must stir the can well to help mix the red pigments. Here is a picture how it turned out on my stand.

acrylic51

I know what your mean....I have all the fittings to rig both, but I'm going to try the Dart on Pauls' suggestion, he wasn't to thrilled I wanted to push it with the Barracuda......I'm pushing roughly 2100gph through the sump with no microbubbles, as it is......If I go with the Barracuda I should be able to dial the return pump back???

acrylic51

Thanks Reefeel.....I mixed the can really good, before doing some testing, but I'm going to take your suggestion and mix again and try a test piece again......I know alot depends on the wood you use that will determine overall finish, but it's possible I didn't mix good enough....I figured I mixed long enough since I had smoked 3 cigarettes........

reefeel

I found that you actually get more of a red color if you don't wipe the stain off, you just let it soak overnight and it should require only one coat. Although my solid oak doors didn't absorb as well as my oak plywood.