Project Fishroom underway for new 240 setup

kjord97

What was your material list for the stand that you built? What type of wood did you use to finish off the stand? Did you get it all from Lowes? Lowes is my favorite store also. I just built a stand for my turtles, i upgraded there tank from a 29 to a 75 and they needed a new stand. I built it out of 2 x 4's and finished it off with some luan i had left over from putting in my floor. I would like a nicer finsih though and that is why i am asking about your type of wood. I just finished all my cabinets in the kitchen and they are made from cherry. My new 150 gal will be going in the dining room and i want to match woods.

ibew

I just read most of your thread and Im very impressed with the work you have done and are doing unbelievable job. I would love to be able to do that one day but need alot more experience and motivation anyways very impressed. if I might ask what do you do for a living.

saltn00b

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Sorry no new pics......Camera took a little bath with saltwater, but hopefully will replace it soon.......

o boy acrylic sorry to laugh but thats funny man
i have dipped way to many things in my tank that was in my hand that i didnt realize -
were you trying to take top-down shots and zoomed to close? :hilarious

acrylic51

Thanks Cowfishrule.....still isn't done.....I still have to finish the trim on the corners and work out the details for the front lid......it's really bright with nothing covering the lights......Had to replace the stupid skimmer pump....Blueline HD70.......Thing ran roughly 2 months and died....I thought the thing was running loud from intial firing, and called my supplier about it and said it should be fine.......Needless to say wake up 1 morning and go into the fishroom still half asleep and all the fishys' are looking at me like I did something wrong, and then it dawned on me that I couldn't hear the skimmer pump
Easy swap due to unions, but still a pain at 5:00 in the morning....

acrylic51

Originally Posted by saltn00b
o boy acrylic sorry to laugh but thats funny man
i have dipped way to many things in my tank that was in my hand that i didnt realize -
were you trying to take top-down shots and zoomed to close? :hilarious
If you go to melevsreef dot com he has a project on the site for making an acrylic box for your camera or lense to sit down into and you can lower the acrylic box down into the tank or what not to get super close up shots......I might make 1 for the new camera......I knew I should have taken it back into the house or at least put it back in the case, but stupid me left it sitting by the sink in the filter room, and was draining water into the sink and house came out of drain after my rotty came walking through and tugged it, and out it came and just sprayed everything...... :scared:

acrylic51

Originally Posted by WangoTango
looks like a lot of rock. coming along great, i was wonder where this thread went.
-Justin
Actually not alot of rock just huge pieces.....Some pieces were actually a real challenge getting in the tank......Still have some huge pieces leftover and sitting in the fuge right now...

saltn00b

acrylic - i am still building my CLS, so two questions, can anyone use the OM spray nozzles, even if you dont have an OM? why did you go with the spray nozzle - what is the plus about it?
also, you made those tall U shapes to prevent back syphon (right?) but what would be the problem of back syphon in a CLS?

acrylic51

Hey Saltn00b anyone can use the OceansMotions nozzles.....Which ones are you referring too??? I used both type on my setup.....The ones that rotate are called "revs", and they flexible nozzle types are called "omni nozzles"....The revs are nice, and with them not being hooked to an OM, I would say they would spin constantly.....They wouldn't have the drop down motion when pressure was applied to them and they wouldn't pop up as well only because there would be constant pressure applied to them......
I'm not really sure what your referring to when you say I made some tall "U" shapes to prevent back syphon on my CL...... :thinking: A CL won't back syphon if it's a true CL.....
The (2) 2" bulkheads drilled in the back of the tank and plumbed down to the pump that feeds the OceansMotions, and then the OceansMotions is plumbed back into the tank.....Therefore there is no open pipes or ends, so even when the power goes out which has happened it doesn't drain down, because the CL is a continous circle or circuit you might call it.......Water drawn down to the pump and pumped right back to the tank.....
You would have back syphon issues with water being drawn from a sump or what not, but again that wouldn't be a true CL, and that's why I advise people that ask about feeding the CL from an overflow against it for those reasons......It's not a self contained system there is a break in it........
Hopefully by next weekend I'll have the new pump in place for the CL.....I'm not happy with the Dart running the OM.....I listened to the builder and shouldn't have 2nd guessed my thoughts......HammerHead will go

fishytime

*standing here with lower jaw bone on da floor* WOW! Didnt have time to read all the posts but did you ever get your lighting bulkhead door issue solved> There is a piece of cabinet hardware called "lid stays" which are a kind of tensioned hinge.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by fishytime
*standing here with lower jaw bone on da floor* WOW! Didnt have time to read all the posts but did you ever get your lighting bulkhead door issue solved> There is a piece of cabinet hardware called "lid stays" which are a kind of tensioned hinge.
No haven't tackled the front lid issue yet.....Any link or pic of what your referring too?