Project Fishroom underway for new 240 setup

acrylic51

Finished doing more trim work on the stand, and put the CL bulkhead grates in place.......Working on ideas for front of tank to cover lighting......Any ideas???????

acrylic51

That's what I'm considering, but then you run into the issue of keeping the lid supported open.....I have thought about using gas charge dampners....Actually I'm looking for something alittle different. I'm tired or bored of seeing the traditional canopies that flip up or lift up.....I've also thought about a total removeable panel as well, which would make maintenance a breeze..

reefeel

On our whirlpool tub the front panel pulls off with a plunger. It is looked in place with normal door holders but no handles, so when you need to access underneath it all you do is grab a plunger, or any suction device and pull an the side pops off completly.

acrylic51

Pinch rollers!!!!! I thought of that, but not really sure how much they can support......I've also looked at the adjustable ball catches as well.....

scsinet

Originally Posted by acrylic51
Pinch rollers!!!!! I thought of that, but not really sure how much they can support......I've also looked at the adjustable ball catches as well.....
If they can't support enough then use a lot of them...

acrylic51

I've tried using them on a custom 190 a bunch of them and they still felt alittle flimsy IMO.......That's the last thing I want to think about is the front cover coming crashing down......I tend to over build at times and it won't be a flimsy front cover......I'm thinking of using "torsion panel" construction to minimize any warpage.....The inside will be covered with aluminum and polished to match the rest of the inside of the canopy......

saltn00b

holy cow acrylic - fantastic job so far - you have built yourself quite an impressive maze there - maybe you missed your calling as a plumber , or perhaps even the third , lost super mario brother??? LOL
i cant wait to see what this will all look like.
you may have to change your name to glass51 now ?
will it be reef ?

acrylic51

Thanks Salt......I hate plumbing actually, and it's not really that bad, just used big lines to move the water........Nah don't think I'd change my mind to Glass51, I really love acrylic, but don't think it holds up very well in a reef with coraline, and the scraping.....at least with glass you can break out the handy dandy razor blade and go to work!!!!!!!! It will be a full reef, and I'm planning on primarly SPS.....I have alot of my Acros over at a friends house that I did the setup on a few months back and man the growth on the caps have been unreal......I don't think she's going to want to give them back..... :hilarious There are a few that I won't get back due to the attaching already, but well worth it though.....Her tank is gorgeous and seems to make things explode.......I work her tank and others every other week, but hers was from scratch and identical to mine just scaled down a bit, and water quality never seems to wonder........Hopefully I can duplicate what I've done to hers on my own system........

saltn00b

sweetness - i learned the hard way about the acrylic vs glass debate. i learned in reverse! glass 75 FOWLR to --> 150 acrylic Reef - and MAN do those blue mag floats SUUUUUUCK! i think my arms are no longer the same size....

tx reef

The canopy I made for my 55 gallon reef has a removable front panel.
I used earth magnets to secure it. Works great and is not shaky at all.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by saltn00b
sweetness - i learned the hard way about the acrylic vs glass debate. i learned in reverse! glass 75 FOWLR to --> 150 acrylic Reef - and MAN do those blue mag floats SUUUUUUCK! i think my arms are no longer the same size....
Buffing out scratches just isn't fun and no guarantee they'll come out.....

acrylic51

Hey Kid anytime you wanna step to the plate......How about a sump of 150 and a fuge of 150.......Couldn't imagine the money on a 500 using the equipment I using as well......