protein skimmer recommendations

joncat24

I would say that the Nw 150 would give it a good run and the Nw 200 will outperform it. The body on the g2 is 6" and so is the nw 150. The nw 200 is an 8 inch body, and is cheaper.

K

kpatrick

So, in your opinion is the MSX160 worth spending the extra money compared to the Octopus 200? If they are both good then why not get the octopus and use the money I saved and get other equipment with it.
However, if the MSX160 is a lot better then the Octopus, I do not mind spending the extra money and getting the MSX160.
THANKS!

waterlogged

Originally Posted by kpatrick
http:///forum/post/2685072
So, in your opinion is the MSX160 worth spending the extra money compared to the Octopus 200? If they are both good then why not get the octopus and use the money I saved and get other equipment with it.
However, if the MSX160 is a lot better then the Octopus, I do not mind spending the extra money and getting the MSX160.
THANKS!
All the MSX's are backordered.

shinobi9119

I have an octopus in my 75 and I am very happy with it. (i chose it over ASM or euro-reef skimmer). No problems, just put it in and adjusted the stand pipe.

joncat24

Originally Posted by kpatrick
http:///forum/post/2685072
THANKS!
It is definitely worth it for the MSX 160. I had a nw 150 on mine and it did a fine job, but the msx is a LOT better. The neck on the msx 160 is almost as big as the body of the NW 150.
They are due in at marine solutions in the next couple of days,

waterlogged

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2685296
It is definitely worth it for the MSX 160. I had a nw 150 on mine and it did a fine job, but the msx is a LOT better. The neck on the msx 160 is almost as big as the body of the NW 150.
They are due in at marine solutions in the next couple of days,
Is the octopus extreme the same as the MSX?

joncat24

Yeah, octo copied the msx and they have the same pumps and all. I personally just prefer to deal with Marine Solutions, they are local and they are great guys to deal with.
They also designed the skimmer, so they know all of the ins and outs of it. And they have fixed all of the quirks that they had with the first batch and are well versed in them now.

bioneck47

O.k., I have both skimmers, ASM G4 and MSX 200. To be honest, both are really good skimmers but I'd really have to give the edge to the MSX. I had both in my sump running at the same time in my 250 and the MSX def. pulled more skimate than the ASM. Plus, the MSX has a drain port and is a whole lot easier to adjust. Both make very little noise so either way you go, your still going to get a good skimmer either in the ASM or the MSX. But if both are the same price or the ASM is a little higher, I would def. go with the MSX. Unless you really can't wait.

sly

I ordered the MSX 160 on July 7 and it's now the 14th and haven't heard a word about it. It's still listed as backordered. I was hoping that they would have them in last Friday but they still haven't changed my order status. So the great wait begins... :(

K

kpatrick

joncat,
Do you use a meshwheel or pinwheel impeller on your MSX skimmer?

joncat24

I am using mesh. The pinwheels are not out yet. They are due in along with the skimmer shipment.
I will try one when they come in, though.
Some folks have used a different companies pw, and have not been getting great air pull. The ms pinwheel is a little different, so we will have to wait and see the numbers on it. If it pulls the amount of air it is supposed to, then just about everyone will go with the PW, to eliminate the need to remesh, and to have more of a stable skimmer.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by Sly
http:///forum/post/2686487
I ordered the MSX 160 on July 7 and it's now the 14th and haven't heard a word about it. It's still listed as backordered. I was hoping that they would have them in last Friday but they still haven't changed my order status. So the great wait begins... :(
yeah, I had to wait almost 3 months to get mine, but I wasn't in a hurry. It's well worth the wait IMO.

bioneck47

Originally Posted by Waterlogged
http:///forum/post/2687501
You gotta be kidding me!! Nothing against you but that's b.s.
yeah I know, but that was the only way that they would reserve me one. The owner told me that I could just purchase one when they came in, but it wouldn't guarantee that I would get one. I didn't want to take any chances so I just pre-paid for one.

siline

Originally Posted by joncat24
http:///forum/post/2685455
Yeah, octo copied the msx
and they have the same pumps and all. I personally just prefer to deal with Marine Solutions, they are local and they are great guys to deal with.
They also designed the skimmer, so they know all of the ins and outs of it. And they have fixed all of the quirks that they had with the first batch and are well versed in them now.
Ive been hearing of Octo's for quite a loooong time, and not so on the MSX. How can you copy something that is not long known?
Also, nothing personal, but you look like a sales person... pushing a products to its limits.
BTW, I have nothing with MSX or yours skimmers, and Im NOT saying nothing about their performance. Its just the "pushing a sale" actitude.
Originally Posted by Mr_X
http:///forum/post/2675211
ASM skimmers have been around for some time. they have the same overall design and pumps as the comparable euro-reef skimmers, except for the acrylic/plastic reaction chamber and collection cup, which doesn't effect it's performance in any way. maybe ASM skimmers will only last 10 years as opposed to euro-reef skimmers lasting 15.
meanwhile, the sedra pumps have also been around for some time and are a trusted brand.
i've never heard of a Sicce pump. what is the track record on these? i don't know where sedra pumps are manufactured, but italy is not known for it's cutting edge, mechanical technology.
i'm just recommending a tried and true component.
I have to personlly differ with your opinion about Italy. As we ALL know, the finest technology, and well craftmanship is from Italy (generally speaking).
Originally Posted by Stanlalee

http:///forum/post/2675274
Oh, checked out any MV or Aprilia sport bikes lately? Ferrari? Maserati or Lamborghini (until VW took over). Ever heard of OZ wheels? Italy is actually highly regarded for craftsmanship and quality control if not leading technology
(which is what we are mostly talking about, there have been no recent revolutions in skimmer design: they are all either air aspirated by a pump or pumped thru a bubble producing nozzle. some work better than others and at this point its probably more willingness to spend time on trial and error than actual technology.
ASMs problem is its pricing (and there have been significant complaints about their build quality not just the cheap PVC plastic they use). your argument is that they work the same as a Euroreef or other clone equivalent (which for the most part is true except Euroreefs needle wheel propeller is modified to perform a bit better than over the shelf sedras). Thats all well and good but I have a problem when I know a good 20x6" acrylic cylinder can cost over $100 alone while PVC cost next to nothing yet ASM is undercut significantly by all the other Deltec and Euroreef clones that use cast acrylic cylinders (Octopus, Aqua Euro, Das ect) and generally regarded as superiorly built and at minimum equally effective at skimming (and thats being nice). a sedra pump is about $50 more than an octopus pump (which are ocean runner clones if not ocean runners not too shabby) but the closest equavalent sized ASM generally cost nearly $100 more even though the skimmer body itself has got to cost ASM significantly less. Go figure. You can basically look into DAS and Octopus recircs for the price range of ASM products. If ASMs undercut the other clones I'd be all over it but there is just no good rational to chose a more costly ASM over the others. not even customer service, most people dont even know ASM stands for all seas marine much less their address and contact numbers. Something on an OCtopus breaks coralvue is right on top of it and can be dealt with directly if need be). I just feel ASM really padded their pockets when they were the ONLY high end alternative but have kind of been exposed now with the other brands materials and pricing.
I can say that I love my Nissan's (Silvia, Skyline & Murano), but if I had to compare the "quality" with , lets say a Ferrari or even a Maseratti (that BTW is owned by Ferrari Spa.) Id be comparing a drive-thru motel with a Ritz-Carlton (just to be apart of the automobile industry). In about performance my Skyline would most probably outperform ANY F360 or even an F430. (With over 800RWHP). But you CAN NOT compare the quality behind. I spend almost doble of what the car cost new to have it like that, whereas an F360 or an F430 are a TRUE PERFORMER/s right out of the box.
Originally Posted by bioneck47
http:///forum/post/2687393
pre pay
Returning to the skimmer issue, whats so "special" about them to have to pre-pay for that loooooong wait???
Excuse me, BUT THOSE ARE SIGNS OF A WEAK COMPANY. They should be mass produced, as they have NOTHING special.