PUPPIES! There are being born right now!

flower

I have a dead pup...I can't tell if it is number 11 that didn't make it or one of the original 10. She is hovering and won't let me get a good count, ...they are all exactly alike and the keep moving around...these are some big puppies, like almost a pound at birth and all are very fat. My mother will make sure mom get all kinds of food, that's the one thing my mother is really good at..feeding the dogs.
I took a towel and tried to stimulate the dead pup but to no avail...

teresaq

you should be able to handle the pups without bothering mom. You will want to change the bedding anyway. Just move them to a laundry basket, change the bedding and put them back. That way you can look them over and get your count.
Sorry about the one that didnt make it, it happens.
T

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaQ http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/20#post_3413939
you should be able to handle the pups without bothering mom. You will want to change the bedding anyway. Just move them to a laundry basket, change the bedding and put them back. That way you can look them over and get your count.
Sorry about the one that didnt make it, it happens.
T
Okay....it really looks like I have 9 now...I really want to see how many boys and girls. But I won't give the tally away until later for anyone who wants to guess.

flower

Alright, I did what you said Teresa about the laundry basket...I have 10 puppies, the dead one was number 11, and it was a boy. The smallest was number 6 and I had to help that one..if I had been there for number 11 it might have made it, he was a big fat boy and shouldn't have died.
They may weigh more than a pound...I'm sure the vet will weigh them when I take them in this afternoon. Tammy was not happy with us taking the pups and putting them into the basket, but now she has a nice dry clean place to rest and enjoy the fruits of her labors...They are a noisy lot.

meowzer

AWWWWW soory about #11...she was probably too tired by then to clean it correctly....I had a cat that had 9 kittens....I had to break the sack on the last 4...
Tamera will be busy enough with the 10 of them, as will you...haha.....
As far as letting her out....she will get up and go when ready....and Atticus you will have to play by ear....I would make sure he can't get to the pups though JIC

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now#post_3413931
Update w/ Pictures
First puppy

2 more puppies

8 puppies and we are all tired

This morning

Questions:
How long do I keep Atticus away from the mom and puppies? She will let Atticus know his place trust me, you can let him in but try to keep him away from mom and the puppies. If he gets to close she will let him know, believe me.
How do I get mom to go out and releave herself?...She keeps running back to the pups. She will let you know when she has to go out. Sometimes after a dog has puppies they wait 24 hours to leave them to go out side, I know that when My Husky had puppies it was about 36 hours before she wanted to leave them.
Will the mom move the puppies if we handle them? (I want to know how many girls and how many boys) If you have a good relationship with her she will not mind you touching and looking at the puppies. This is a good thing to do because soicalization starts when they are new borns. Just make sure you talk to her while you are looking at them and assure her that you are not going to hurt them. Let her know what a good girl she is and pet her also. She should have no Problem with you touching them.
Who want to take a guess at it?
# of boys
# of Girls
As for the Split of boys and girls I am going to say 3 boys and 7 girls!!

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/20#post_3413945
Alright, I did what you said Teresa about the laundry basket...I have 10 puppies, the dead one was number 11, and it was a boy. The smallest was number 6 and I had to help that one..if I had been there for number 11 it might have made it, he was a big fat boy and shouldn't have died.
They may weigh more than a pound...I'm sure the vet will weigh them when I take them in this afternoon. Tammy was not happy with us taking the pups and putting them into the basket, but now she has a nice dry clean place to rest and enjoy the fruits of her labors...They are a noisy lot.
Flower, that happens with puppies, my husky had 7 pups, 6 lived and the same thing happened she had it when I was not awake, so I assume that she was to tired to clean it correctly. You can not beat yourself up about it, Nature happens My friend. Just remember you have 10 wonderful Health pups there, that will be enough for you and Tammy to take care of.. Don't be surprised if she does not eat for a few days either, just make sure she has clean fresh source of water to drink. Also, do not give her milk, you might want to get some canned food also to help supplement the dry food because she is going to need all the vitamins and minerals to take care of those puppies. Talk to your vet when you go see her and ask her what else should you give Tammy while she is taking care of the pups that is a lot for her to take care of.

flower

I'm glad your here Scott, I know you do the puppy thing often with rescues. My Mother got her to eat some chicken...LOL..I told you my mom can feed critters. We have a water bowl next to her and she did drink. Actually, I'm not too worried about Atticus hurting the pups...I don't want to upset Tamerah, she was pretty mean last night to him....he went to the back porch and stayed there until 1:00 in the morning then he went to the sofa and stayed put. The minute she even hears him she starts her nervous barking.
I have to share this. After she gave birth to the first pup she started barking at it and ran out of the box, she was afraid of it, she came back and licked at it a few times then began having another pup...after puppy number 3 she sat there looking at them panting.... and you know the quizzical tip of the head dogs do??? That was what she was doing while they cried. I moved the puppies closer and she let them nurse...she likes them now that's for sure.
Puppy number 6 almost died, she was too tired to lick it, so I gave it a rub and layed it next to her still gooey but not in the sac...it had little bubbles coming out of it's nose and didn't start crying right away but it's sides were moving so I knew it was breathing. It was the smallest pup, the runt I guess. I'm sure that's what happened to puppy number 11, but it was a big hefty puppy, not little like 6 was.
I think it was Meowzer who told me to put an ad in the paper right away...8 weeks is Nov 1st...2 months early, does it really take that long to sell puppies?

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/20#post_3413983
I'm glad your here Scott, I know you do the puppy thing often with rescues. My Mother got her to eat some chicken...LOL..I told you my mom can feed critters. We have a water bowl next to her and she did drink. Actually, I'm not too worried about Atticus hurting the pups...I don't want to upset Tamerah, she was pretty mean last night to him....he went to the back porch and stayed there until 1:00 in the morning then he went to the sofa and stayed put. The minute she even hears him she starts her nervous barking. Your welcome Flower. Yes its good that she is drinking that's the biggest thing after they have pups is to rehydrate because they lose so much fluid after giving birth. Its also good that she ate, but she may not have that big of an appetite for a few days, just put food near here and she will eat it when she is ready. Yes, the male dog knows when the female mean business, and she will do that for a short time to him when she hears him, she is just waning him to stay away from her and the pups. Just make sure he doesn't get to close because even tho they have been together, when there are pups involved, she can become aggressive towards him that's what mothers do.
I have to share this. After she gave birth to the first pup she started barking at it and ran out of the box, she was afraid of it, she came back and licked at it a few times then began having another pup...after puppy number 3 she sat there looking at them panting.... and you know the quizzical tip of the head dogs do??? That was what she was doing while they cried. I moved the puppies closer and she let them nurse...she likes them now that's for sure. That is common for them to do because they are not sure what to think or do, but it does come naturally. Think of when you had your first child what did you do, what did you think? She will do what she has to to care and protect her pups.
Puppy number 6 almost died, she was too tired to lick it, so I gave it a rub and layed it next to her still gooey but not in the sac...it had little bubbles coming out of it's nose and didn't start crying right away but it's sides were moving so I knew it was breathing. It was the smallest pup, the runt I guess. I'm sure that's what happened to puppy number 11, but it was a big hefty puppy, not little like 6 was. It is very tiring for them to have that many pups, I know that with my Female Husky I had to help her birth most of the pups and even had to open the sac on some of them and took a paper towel and cleaned their face and mouth out with it. That could be true of pup 11 but then there could have been something wrong with it that you might not know. You did everything you could for it and things like that happen. As I said you have 10 pups and that's a lot for her to take care of, that is why I said ask your vet about a calcium supplement for her. Also why i suggested to adding Canned food mixed with the dry food for her because it will boost the vitamins and minerals that she needs.
I think it was Meowzer who told me to put an ad in the paper right away...8 weeks is Nov 1st...2 months early, does it really take that long to sell puppies? It can be very hard sometimes to sell puppies, and with the way the economy is right now it might be harder to sell them. I would list them in the paper and start a list of who wants them. When they are like 4 weeks old you can contact the people and let them pick which one they want from the litter. by then they should be moving around on their own and have their eyes open and will be developing their personalities. Also make sure that you give them lots of love and attention because that will only make them a better well socialized dog when they are older. I would get down and pick up and love all the pups when my Husky had them, right from the time they were born. I still get emails from the people I sold the pups to and they say they are the best and most loveable dogs they could ask for, and that is because they had the attention from the start. If you have any further questions feel free to ask or PM me and I am more than willing to help you.
Scott

scott t

Oh one more thing when you sell the pups make sure you have the people sign a contract for the purchase. I have one that I used that I will look up and can email it to you if you want. It only Protects you and they buyer. Also, before you sell them at 8 weeks old make sure you get them vet checked and they have their first shots that will help a lot and make sure you get a certificate of health from the vet so you can give a copy to the buyer and keep one for yourself..

flower

Thank you Scott, I'm sure I will drive you crazy...LOL
My Mother already mixes dry with the wet food and some chicken to boot. I have told her that dry food is good for the teeth and wet food makes everything soft in the bowl. BIG SIGH...My mother won't change, and she slips them treats..Jacks links or slim Jims. I purchased Tamerah for her because her Golden Retriever faught with Atticus, and since Atticus was impossible to rehome, she gave up her dog, who would follow anyone home that would pet him....who has such a sweet disposition that he is a working dog that now goes to the elderly homes to spred the joy of petting him, he brings a smile to everyones face, the perfect life for him.
So now she spoils Tamerah....and 10 puppies are going to be very loved by two old ladies with nothing else to do, but dote on them, and clean up after them. My Mother used to raise Siamese kittens to sell, they were the sweetest kittens. So we know the love starts from day one. I admit I have already snuggled a couple of them.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/20#post_3414003
Thank you Scott, I'm sure I will drive you crazy...LOL Flower you can drive me as crazy as you want to I am always willing to help another out when needed.
My Mother already mixes dry with the wet food and some chicken to boot. I have told her that dry food is good for the teeth and wet food makes everything soft in the bowl. BIG SIGH...My mother won't change, and she slips them treats..Jacks links or slim Jims. I purchased Tamerah for her because her Golden Retriever faught with Atticus, and since Atticus was impossible to rehome, she gave up her dog, who would follow anyone home that would pet him....who has such a sweet disposition that he is a working dog that now goes to the elderly homes to spred the joy of petting him, he brings a smile to everyones face, the perfect life for him.
So now she spoils Tamerah....and 10 puppies are going to be very loved by two old ladies with nothing else to do, but dote on them, and clean up after them. My Mother used to raise Siamese kittens to sell, they were the sweetest kittens. So we know the love starts from day one. I admit I have already snuggled a couple of them That is very good spoil them rotten.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarn http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/20#post_3414031
Congrats Flower ... Arfff, Arfff, Arfff
Very lucky pups to be born in your home.

LOL.. puppies make mewing sounds like kittens...take a guess at my parrots new noise to annoy
I didn't have to hake the pups to the vet, she wants to see them Saturday to remove the dew claws and do a wellness check then. I checked the puppies for sex..and my mother has a different count than I do...so we need to recheck before I can tell you guys what I have. I will tell you puppy 11 who didn't make it was a boy.

scott t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/20#post_3414054
LOL.. puppies make mewing sounds like kittens...take a guess at my parrots new noise to annoy
I didn't have to hake the pups to the vet, she wants to see them Saturday to remove the dew claws and do a wellness check then. I checked the puppies for sex..and my mother has a different count than I do...so we need to recheck before I can tell you guys what I have. I will tell you puppy 11 who didn't make it was a boy.
LOL That to funny Flower and even funnier that the parrot has picked up on it. Well thats good that they Vet will see them Sat.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott T http:///t/387739/puppies-there-are-being-born-right-now/20#post_3414057
LOL That to funny Flower and even funnier that the parrot has picked up on it. Well thats good that they Vet will see them Sat.
Ah yes...my JellyBean is very interested in the puppies. He got down to the bottom of the cage for a better look. ....and now the puppy sounds are there even when puppies are all asleep. SIGH...that means when puppies are all grown and gone, they will forever be with us.

meowzer

HAHA...glad the vet put the visit off.....no sense taking hem out 2x ...as long as they are nursing and all is well...

al&burke

Glad to hear eveything is going well Flower, puppies could not have been born to better people - good luck i look forward to seeing more and more pictures my friend. Got a love puppies breath!!!!