Quitting Smoking!!

hot883

29 weeks today. :happy: :cheer:
I have sucessfully quit 5-6 times before. Ha! No one likes a quitter. Ha! Had to say it. It is hard at first. I went COLD TURKEY. They say stop smoking is worse than stop using Herione. All I know is if you want to do it you will. Don't do it for "someone else" Do it For You! Remember "Happy Birthday"! TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! I'm off my soap box now. Ha! Good luck, we are here if ya need us.

darth tang

Originally Posted by tgruby
I think smoking should be banned in public places. The more inconveinante it is to smoke, the less people that will start. I hate sitting in the smoke free section of a restaruant and having smoke swirling around my head. I would think it would be alot easier for smokers to quit too, if they weren't always bombarded with smoke everytime they went out.
This bugs me......There are many places a person can go and not have to deal with smokers. MOST restaurants are smoke free. Some still cater to smoking but you do not have to frequent them. I personally feel a lot of our problems stem from being able to drink in public. Would you be willing to bann drinking out in public with the exception of your own home? I know I worry if I am driving on the road between 10-1 at night that some Drunk is going to slam into me.And I am not even frequenting the bars or places that serve alcohol.

tgruby

Maybe there are restaraunts in areas of the country where smoking is banned. But here there isn't. We have restaurants here that don't even have a nonsmoking section. There is not one single restaurant I know of that is smoke free. So I can't avoid these restaruants, because it's all of them. Drinking responsibly doesn't cause harm to people. It's when people are careless. Second hand smoke causes a lot of harm to people. Even smoking on the streets or in front of buildings, its stupid. I walk right behind people smoking and it's just not fair. And you have to walk threw smoke when you walk in a building cus theres ppl smoking there. Second hand smoke has been classified by the EPA as a GROUP A CARCINOGEN, along with ASBESTOS. If asbestos was falling from the ceiling in a restaurant would they just say, oh don't worry we'll just put you in this sectoin where asbestos is not failing from the ceiling.

bccajun

6 years ago after 15 smoking stopped right after lunch one day (no patch no gum just will power) and never looked back. After 6 years I think back when I stopped and now think it was a lot easier than I thought it was then. A few days after I stopped I wanted one, but thought about the waste it would have been to start up again. Hang in there. It only gets easier.
Bobby

laust

way to go scoobydoo ..... we are only a couple of days apart on our quit dates. the worst part so far has been off and on batts with depression, and not being able to concentrate at work. but you just press forward and know that whatever you are going through now, is much better than what you would have to go through later in life if you kept smoking, like ..... the big "E" (emphysema), or a tube in your throat, or having to lug around an O2 tank everywhere you went... ugh...
its funny now, being able to smell smoke on people, and it making me repulsed, thinking...damn... i use to smell like that???? ick.
i wish they would make smokes illegal. or raise the buying age to 50.
l o v i n g the way i cant feel my heart trying to beat out of my chest anymore

just keep at it, one moment at a time, youre doing great!!!!

scoobydoo

Thanks everyone. I didn't want to turn this thread into a smokers v. nonsmokers debate. Just wanted encouragement and advice. I'm doing better than I ever had before when I tried to quit so I'm feeling pretty good right now. Still trying to figure out what to do with my free hands and mouth some times. I've been sick the last week or so, stuffy nose, sore throat, headache. I thought I was supposed to feel better! :thinking:

airforceb2

Just thought I would throw my story in here. I've been smoke free for 19 months. Quit cold turkey after smoking 1-2 packs a day. It was just merely out of boredom and now I can't stand the smell of it. Once you crest the 3-4 month mark, there is no turning back.

K

kimc

I quit smoking 13 years ago. Quit cold turkey!! You can do it too... :joy:

mhoup

You can do it....

I didn't smoke but I chewed (Copenhagen) and the "quit" technique is a little different. I learned from friends of mine the trick...if you want to call it a trick! What they and I did was this, I put a nice big chew in my mouth and left it there for a few minutes and swalloed it.....
it made me so incredibly ill for about two days and no I can't even stand the smell of it, needlessto say I quit. I don't know if it will work with cig's but ....?
I had the headache thing going too, BUT, the energy level is much greater than when I used tobacco....
Good luck, Jew can do et......

mudplayerx

I've found the best way to quit smoking is to go out drinking with your friends and bring like 4 packs with you. Smoke constantly. The next day you will have a hangover and more than likely have some respiratory illness. It's pretty easy to quit after that :p

mr_bill

scoobydoo, I remember being at the stage your in now and it is the hardest part of quiting. Just remember that once you pass this stage it only gets easier, and yes you will be able to have a drink without going insane in the near future.
I used the gum, and huge wads of it at that just be careful not to get addicted to the gum or patch. My dentists husband is addicted to the gum now, and that is even more expensive than the cigs.
Another fun thing to do is calculate the amount of money you were wasting on cigs. After that plan on getting yourself something really nice with the money you save. I bought myself a truck with the savings.

scoobydoo

DAY 30
:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Getting easier all the time. I've never made it past a week or two before so I feel great.
I still crave them ALL the time but I manage to get past it. I'm really proud of myself.
Carrie

mimzy

YAY!!! :cheer: :cheer:
Good for you!!! We're proud of you too!!

On your way to a cleaner, happier, more oxygenated life!

Don't give up, we're all behind you!
:joy: :jumping:
:jumping: :joy:

K

kimc

Congratulations Scoobydoo :cheer:
:cheer:
Keep it up and there's no going back now!! :jumping:
:jumping:

scoobydoo

I'm using the patch. I used the 21mg for the first 2 1/2 weeks, now I'm on the 14mg patch for probably another week and then I hope to go to the 7mg for 2-3 weeks and I should be done.
Now I have to get my husband to stop using sckol (?). He quit smoking about 5 years ago but uses that stuff.
I was eating quite a bit when I first started but that also has tapered off some. Hostess cupcakes and slim jims helped! LOL
I've only gained a few pounds too which I am surprised about. Most of the time I try to eat healthy, non-fat foods.
Too busy...and too lazy...to exercise yet!

K

kimc

My hubby chews Copenhagen DISGUSTING, puke, puke. I can't get him to quit. He says I'm nagging if I say something. We've been together 25 years (married 21 years). I keep hoping he will give it up.. Maybe someday...

jmick

I quit last summer when I found out my wife was pregnant with our first =) It was the most difficult thing I've done and to this day I still want a smoke. I enjoyed smoking, which is what made it so hard but I'm happy I quit. One day they will come out with a cigarette which has no tar and no carcinogens and I'll pay $10 a pack!

fishy7

Quitting smoking is all in the mind. You have to want to quite before you actually quit.
I used smok-a-way. It actually work quite well. No craving no mood swings. I have been a non smoker for 4 years now and finding it was the best decision of my life. You can drop me an email at "tictoc777@aol.com" if you want more info.
NOT SMOKING IS A CONSCIOUS DECISION YOU MAKE EVERY DAY!
It is to easy to fall back and pick up the nasty habit.
Scooby do not give up keep it going. I am pulling for all the quitters!!!!!!
Think like the non-smoker like one mentioned!

aquageek

Quitting smoking is very hard. I have tried everything with little success. I think it is willpower that helps overcome the addiction. Hey I live in Syracuse tool.