Ranger in trouble!

Every year I travel to New York to hunt deer with my father, and this year I brought my 7 year old son for his first time.
When I arrived in New York, I noticed that my rifle case had been damaged and the TSA seal (attached in Savannah, GA) had been removed. I asked the airline representative and a TSA agent to inspect my case with me in case of stolen or damaged guns. I had 2 rifles and a handgun which we inspected at the counter. I did this in front of the TSA agent
On December 1, 2004, I traveled to the Albany New York airport to return to my Home in Savannah, GA.
When I arrived at the airline counter, I informed the ticket agent that I had firearms to declare. He called a TSA agent to do the inspection. I opened the hard case for the agent, who told me he had to get his supervisor, because I had a handgun with my deer rifles. The handgun is a Ruger MK1 target pistol, 22 caliber.
The supervisor arrived and asked to see my ID and handgun permit, Which I provided. He asked me how long I had been in the state, because if it were less than 48 hours, he would let me pass. I believe that he was hinting that I should tell him what he needed to hear. I refused to lie to the man, so I dutifully informed him that I had been in the state for 10 days. He then told me that a Georgia permit was not valid in New York( "nothing more than a piece of paper here"), and he was calling the sheriff. After a few moments, I was arrested by the sheriff’s deputies, in front of my son.
The deputies were apologetic and professional, but arrested me nonetheless. They told me that they had no choice but to arrest me, because the TSA had turned me in. Has this been during a traffic stop, "we wouldn’t have done anything".
They confiscated my pistol, had me pay a $100 bond, and let me go in time to check my rifles and to catch my flight. I did not receive a receipt for my pistol.
I now have to return to New York to face charges, or pay a lawyer to represent me. I was told by the deputies, that I could plead guilty to "disorderly conduct" and pay a fine. I was also told I would have to give up my pistol, without compensation
I did not attempt to hide my pistol, I did not lie to them, and was oblivious to the fact that I was in violation of the law. I had been in the state for 10 days and had committed no illegal act. The pistol is mine and legally owned and possessed by me in Georgia.
I am now aware that I could face up to 7 years in prison for this offense, and face legal bills that I am hardly able to pay on a Firefighter’s salary, and will need to travel back to New York on December 29th of this year, to appear before a judge.
Or I can give up my pistol and plead guilty to something I didn’t do.
This kind of Hob’s choice is something with which I am unfamiliar and would greatly appreciate and insight or advice that you could offer.

bigarn

Nice thing to happen around the holidays. I would get in touch with your congressman and let him or her earn their salary. Could the firefighters union help you out as far as legal advice? :thinking:
:D
Keep in mind that some judges will laugh this out of court!
Good Luck..and DON'T let it ruin your holidays.:santa:

Did both.
Still ain't fun.
If I'd spilled cofee on myself in the state, or had my religion insulted at the toll booth....Id not be bitchin'
Congressman is busy, NRA "will ge back to me(sometime after the new year)"
Anyone Know a lawyer in Albany?
I'll trade mushrooms and star polyps for representation....no questions asked!!!:D

OOps ..... You're a felon...Sucks.
I was legal ...at home...on vacation I'm a bad guy...I thought I hadn't left the US, but I was mistaken.
The NYPD stole my pistol.
:help:
Who is the bad guy?

lovethesea

So what your saying is......TSA and airlines knew you were coming into the state for 10 days with weapons and didn't ask any questions regarding permits etc? If this is the case, I would almost start crying foul with regards to them letting you into the state without following their 9/11 guidelines. The agent knew there was a breech by offering you an out with the 48 hours bluff.
Sorry for your troubles, this is really stupid. All in the name of security.....counter productive IMO. They have their undies in a bundle over the wrong things. :mad:

sw65galma

Originally posted by rangermonroe
OOps ..... You're a felon...Sucks.
I was legal ...at home...on vacation I'm a bad guy...I thought I hadn't left the US, but I was mistaken.
The NYPD stole my pistol.
:help:
Who is the bad guy?

Now had you you been carrying a bomb, you would have been ok :p
Whatever you do, don't carry nail clippers on a plane :p

grantman

Sometimes sticking to our morales cost us. You can let it cost you the fine and a guilty plea or you can let it cost you much more and possibly your freedom. You are in fact guilty of what they are charging you with aren't you. If it were me I would pay the fine and be done with it. Yeah it sucks but in every life we have our difficulties. This reminds me of a quote"When I long for a life without difficulties, remind me that oak trees grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are formed under great pressure."

sw65galma

Originally posted by grantman
Sometimes sticking to our morales cost us. You can let it cost you the fine and a guilty plea or you can let it cost you much more and possibly your freedom. You are in fact guilty of what they are charging you with aren't you. If it were me I would pay the fine and be done with it. Yeah it sucks but in every life we have our difficulties. This reminds me of a quote"When I long for a life without difficulties, remind me that oak trees grow strong in contrary winds and diamonds are formed under great pressure."

he does have a point...

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Contact NRA and all the gun affliates to see if you can get advise at least.
Why would you need to carry a pistol to a hunting trip?
Don't phone congressman, write them.

My folks live in the country, so my son and I brought out 22's to target shoot in the evenings behind the barn.
He has a little rifle, but I find a pistol more challenging.
I spoke to the folks you suggested, and wrote to my congressman.
Through those chanels, I have contacted an attorney who is taking my case.
Thanks for all ya'lls support.
PS Make sure that you know the laws in the state where you are going...they may not be the same as the ones where you are from!

jal1639

That's some BS!! If they new you were going for ten days they are at fault. If they said lie to me and tell me you have been here for 48 hrs, it's their fault.
Hakmed and his buddies are running around on a visa that expired 6yrs ago and they are ok, but the American telling the trueth is the threat!!

dskidmore

My husband says Albany is notorious for that kind of thing. Alot of people get caught by that stupid law there. As unfair as it is, I'd pay the fine. You might see if your lawyer thinks you can get re-embursed for the gun, either from the government or the airline that inspected it on the way in.
Whatever happened to the federal government being in charge of interstate travel? Is it really up to the state to ban a person from traveling through the state? Drivers licences are interchangable, why not gun permits?
There's just so much unconstitutional junk everywhere anyway, the feds get away with taking over state duties all the time.

bang guy

There are over 500 gun laws in this state. I doubt if more than a dozen people know all of them. That's what happens when Democrats gain control of a state.
I'm on the verge of moving away from this poor excuse for a State. It's getting really pathetic. Basically this system assumes everyone is a dishonest thief and in need of government entitlements. Anyone who is a hardworking, honest person like the Ranger is punished. It just sucks.
I live in a county where people are honest and hardworking. They rarely complain about sending a huge percentage of their income to Albany. I really wish they would rebel once in a while but they just go on feeding America because it's what they do best.

Texas....

I lived there for 4 years. 92-96
Carrying a pistol was forbidden until our current president became governor.
But Texas did pass a reciprocity bill last month with GA,and North cariolna.
Most states have some form of reciprocity, but DO NOT take it for granted.
GOOOD NEWS!
I spoke with the retired sherrif from the town were I was arrested and he recommended an attorney friend of his. He informed me that he will be able to help me out, and I shouldn't have to return to NY.
The ret sherrif also has offered to handle the gun transfer for me. He said that his gun shop will pick it up and send it to a dealer here for me.
:)
He also said that the deputies were not correct in telling me that it had to be destroyed...as it was not used in any "crime".
My possession was a "statutory violation",and as such, the state is not entitled to confiscate my property.
I hope that he knows what he is talking about!
Bangguy...is warsaw in western NY?

jal1639

I believe that a year ago, Texas just took away from store owners, the ability to post "NO concealed weapons." Now, Texans can carry EVERYwhere except schools and court houses.
I grew up in Waco and we will be moving back in three months or so.

pwnag3!!

Originally posted by JAL1639
I believe that a year ago, Texas just took away from store owners, the ability to post "NO concealed weapons." Now, Texans can carry EVERYwhere except schools and court houses.
I grew up in Waco and we will be moving back in three months or so.

cant carry in a bar or place that is more than 51% liqour business and churches