Salt Mixes.....What are you using????

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/20#post_3420070
Shawn I'm thinking about heading up to my local place today for some supplies. If the manager girl is in there I'll ask her some more questions about that salt. They carry it on their shelves and the pricing is on par with most of the reef blend salts. They did tell me that's what they use so I'll ask them about sediment build up and what not.
Cool deal!!!!! I know the RC is infamous for the slime, and quite a few others are know for that as well.....See what info you can get, and let me know......The price isn't my concern...I'm looking for quality.....IMO RC being better then straight up IO is more a marketing gimmick IMO.........

deejeff442

yes it is.hey if you are happy with that salt stick with it.not like you add it and everything looks bad right?the main reason i like this stuff really is because it disolves instantly and has no residue.my mixing tank would always get the white junk on the glass with IO

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/40#post_3420151
Cool deal!!!!! I know the RC is infamous for the slime, and quite a few others are know for that as well.....See what info you can get, and let me know......The price isn't my concern...I'm looking for quality.....IMO RC being better then straight up IO is more a marketing gimmick IMO.........
I was just getting ready to order another 200G box...BUT after seeing the phosphate reading I am not sure I want to order the RC anymore
BUT $100 + shipping for another salt is a little steep for me
NOT sure if I should go back to regular IO or try something like the Seachem that I posted a few posts ago
GOSH I hate threads like this....LOL...makes me ? everything I do

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/20#post_3420123
I found it......It seems the online sources are VERY pricey

SO how about the Seachem salt I posted above? The listing on it seems good
That was 1 of the brands I had tried.......I tried the Oceanic and didn't see anything super about it, and went back to RC.....Then started the swap over to Seachem, and wasn't impressed at all......I do buy salt bulk, and maybe it was bad batches, but inconsistent readings, found it didn't mix well......Still nasty slime.......Several of the containers/buckets purchased were harder than cement......That was enough to turn me off rather quickly.....It wasn't just myself....Several of my local buddies found the exact same, but again could have just been a bad batch TFP had gotten......

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/40#post_3420152
yes it is.hey if you are happy with that salt stick with it.not like you add it and everything looks bad right?the main reason i like this stuff really is because it disolves instantly and has no residue.my mixing tank would always get the white junk on the glass with IO
I also hate the residue.....BUT I also thought that was normal

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/40#post_3420155
That was 1 of the brands I had tried.......I tried the Oceanic and didn't see anything super about it, and went back to RC.....Then started the swap over to Seachem, and wasn't impressed at all......I do buy salt bulk, and maybe it was bad batches, but inconsistent readings, found it didn't mix well......Still nasty slime.......Several of the containers/buckets purchased were harder than cement......That was enough to turn me off rather quickly.....It wasn't just myself....Several of my local buddies found the exact same, but again could have just been a bad batch TFP had gotten......
HMMMM...OK..so the seachem is no good either :(
I'm trying to find a salt that my "online" supplier supply's.....LOL.....

deejeff442

hey acrylic if you and your friends get together i think 8 buckets on an order the price comes down like $20 a bucket for the aquavitro.something to consider.
like i was saying it costs more but i love this stuff.actually i have my 45 gallon mixing tank full of r/o.i just dumped in 6 coffee cups of this salt in .maybe one minute its crystal clear.i have two #3 korilia pumps mixing it.hey its only money right lol

btldreef

Yes, I'm the one who started with the AquaVitro Salinity salt mix, and I absolutely swear by it. Almost all the LFS's near me use it as well.
I've tried just about every salt on the market. The H2Ocean wasn't bad, but found that my corals don't color up as well as they do with AquaVitro. I have been told that the AquaVitro helps color up corals better because it contains a higher concentration of potassium.
Tropic Marin was decent. Coralife was okay, I always had alk issues though. IO and RC were very inconsistent. Brightwells was probably the worst salt I ever tried, terrible numbers and inconsisten batches. ESV is about the only other salt that I have not tried. I'm going to try it out on my frag tank soon though. Oceanic was inconsistent and I always got phosphate readings right out of the box.
Red Sea Pro was another waste of money. I think a lot of people use Reef Crystals because it's readily available and cheap, however, it's far from the best, IMO.
Everyone in ny reef club uses AquaVitro or ESV.
As a side note, AquaVitro is expensive if you order online, but also keep in mind that it makes more gallons than most.

acrylic51

Good info BTLDreef!!!!!! How's the phos reading out of the gate with the AquaVitro?? I had heard with the H2Oceans you needed to mix for 48hr. If you did a reading at 24hr mixing you had a small phos reading, but at 48hrs read 0????

deejeff442

btld ,thought i remember it was you.well here is the official tank you for the fix lol.
your exactly right on with the salts.kinda like sucking it up to buy my mp40's once you have them you wonder why it took so long to get them.same with the salt .by far the best salt i have ever used.

deejeff442

hey acrylic i am mixing a batch right now should be filled to the top within an hour .the salt mixes in munutes.although i give it over night for a wc.but i will test the phosphates here in a bit.

meowzer

GEESH....I found some and tried to order it, BUT the online place can not give me shipping info...LOL...I AM NOT ordering it unless I know what shipping is gonna cost me
It's $87 BTW

deejeff442

when i tried to buy it online i hit the buy tab.shipping came up after i entered my cc number $40 shipping.i cancelled.did you google it ?i did and it showed like 18 places that have it.kinda weird that SEARS was listed lol.dont know about that.i would say suck it up and find the best price and at least try one bucket.i promise you its the best out there.
like i said try the ebay stores .one was $110 free shipping.i figure just another $20 a month for the salt to me why not ? i dont have any kids so my tank is the next thing to them.my wife takes care of the zoo animals around here.although i did go buy a $160 bale of hay the other day.

meowzer

YUP...I googled it...and picked the one that was $87 LOL....I was gonna paypal it, but I'm scared to go any further....I AM NOT paying $40 for shipping
OH YEAH....If you look on the google thing....It is also the one that says $10.82 for shipping

meowzer

I keep getting this message

No shipping rates were returned for your order. The shipping provider's server may be unavailable at this time. Please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, please contact the store administrator.

deejeff442

gotta love it huh lol.
i think this salt is really becoming more popular and the price will come down a bit soon.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/388072/salt-mixes-what-are-you-using/40#post_3420186
gotta love it huh lol.
i think this salt is really becoming more popular and the price will come down a bit soon.
WELL I am gonna give it a try.....I will use it on the 225G...and finish off my RC on the smaller tanks.....
That is if I can get it ordered....LOL....I left them a message..AND sent an e-mail....IMO since they list $10.82 on the google page, they should have to stand by it

deejeff442

i googled it again.looks like SEARS is like amazon now and sells everything.looks like $107 with shipping.it shows a pic of the bucket .so i dunno?
i say try a bucket and see.one thing i did notice .when i used the IO and didnt put the lid back on tight.the next time i went to use it .it was hard .the salinity i can leave the top off for a week and it is still a nice powder.