Saltn00b's Multi-Phase Upgrade Diary!

sleasia

I think he's on vacation....here's what I do...clean tank 1-2 days before I leave...put on auto top off, pellets for fish on battery operated fishmates, neighbor check for electricity and put in pre measured phyto etc... every couple of days......Usually I come home and everyone (corals and fish) are happier than when I'm around to over obsess with the tank.....

isistius

he's not going to hang it per se. we are building a canopy for his tank and are going to suspend it inside the canopy approximately 5" over the top of the tank.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by Isistius
he's not going to hang it per se. we are building a canopy for his tank and are going to suspend it inside the canopy approximately 5" over the top of the tank.
How? Are you going to build like a "lip" for it to sit on? Do these lights even come with hanging kit?

isistius

there is a hanging kit for it, but were not going to use it. we are, however, going to use the pre-tapped holes on the top surface of the fixture. when were done with the canopy, we will take apart the fixture, and screw through the holes into wood that will be attached to the top of the canopy. that extra wood will drop the light a few inches from the actual top of the canopy which will allow for additional air circulation and cooling.

saltn00b

hey guys! back home safe from a great vacation! below are some shots :)
thanks isty for covering the questions, and taking care of the tank(s) while i was gone.
everything is good with the set ups for the most part.
i had an unfortunate incedent with my exquisite wrasse jumping out of my QT tank. the lid was left open . very sad about this, i loved that fish, even tho i had him for 3 months, he was one of my favorites very quickly. my CB angel is not liking life in the QT in hypo and has developed lympho in the mouth, looks pretty nasty , but she should pull through ok. CBBF still looks great!
on the plus side, in the last nine days there has been considerable growth with a most of zoo colonies!
on the production side, i have decided to halt work with the canopy in favor of completing the CLS system first. this should prove to be less headache with retro fitting, etc.

saltn00b

...also the bristle worm situation seemed to have cleared itself up. either the worms died or diminished from lack of food and / or the palys have had time to recover and they are all growing nicely with no flesh visible.

azfishgal

Looks like you had an awesome time.
I have to leave for about 4 days next month and I'm nervous about leaving my tank.
I should set up some type of web cam so I can watch it while I'm gone. I've left it before but it only had inverts in the tank, so no big deal. I have more to lose now.

saltn00b

i sure did!
do you have someone coming to tank sit? my brother came over every 48 hours to top off water and feed.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by saltn00b
i sure did!
do you have someone coming to tank sit? my brother came over every 48 hours to top off water and feed.
Yes, my baby sitter (she's 16, but very responsible). She took care of all three of my tanks last time for a week and did a good job, came over every 24 hours topping off and feeding (I had food in dixie cups ready to go, so no chance of overfeeding). It's just I have more things in my reef tank now, so I'm a bit nervous. I might have three anthias in my tank though before I leave, so I know they need to be fed more often, so that's my biggest concern, not sure she'll be able to come over more than once a day. I'll only be gone though for about 4 days, I think.

sleasia

sorry about the loss of the fish...happened to me too, my spotted hawaiian puffer jumped through a 1" opening and found him dead on the top of the 200gal tank one morning...It was very sad.

saltn00b

well my oldest fish in the QT has what i believe to be a small case of lympho manifesting itself as an ulcer / growth on the mouth. she seems otherwise to be healthy but it has stopped her from feeding for the last 3 days now so it is getting very sad for me to watch her hungrily swim up to food and not be able to eat it. all i can do is water changes to keep the water quality good, and pray it gets better before she starves....

azfishgal

Originally Posted by saltn00b
well my oldest fish in the QT has what i believe to be a small case of lympho manifesting itself as an ulcer / growth on the mouth. she seems otherwise to be healthy but it has stopped her from feeding for the last 3 days now so it is getting very sad for me to watch her hungrily swim up to food and not be able to eat it. all i can do is water changes to keep the water quality good, and pray it gets better before she starves....
Oh, that's so sad.
Praying she pulls through. (Hey, if that Hipp Tang can survive a clam attack, no reason your fish can't pull through. Not sure if you saw that, but do a search, I think the thread is called "Grip of Death, or something like that.")

saltn00b

thanks Az, ill take a look at the thread.
Prevwon i used acrylic glue (forgetting the name exactly, but it mentioned and even pictured in the earlier pages when i was working on the fuge.)
i used two types, i think #3 and #33. one of them is the very fine liquid which is applied with a syringe, that did most of the work. and the other is a goopy glue that is used for filling in gaps, etc.