Saltn00b's Multi-Phase Upgrade Diary!

weberian

Hey Saltn00b, you must be tired. Very pretty plumbing.
You could increase the return velocity by heating the 3/4 inch nozzles and pinching them a bit at the tip with pliers.
(Just in case you hadn't thought of it.)

saltn00b

thats a good idea. how would you apply the heat, web? i am thinking of starting by closing off 1/3 to 1/2 of the nozzles as in the original plans.

weberian

Originally Posted by saltn00b
thats a good idea. how would you apply the heat, web? i am thinking of starting by closing off 1/3 to 1/2 of the nozzles as in the original plans.
A heat gun or a plumber's torch. ...careful...

isistius

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
wow impressive i am starting to think you should change the 'noob' part of your name though

i wouldn't!!!

saltn00b

ok well i have capped off 4 of the outputs and the flow was definitely increased. i am considering capping off two more but that will wait. i have STILL not caught the black cap so im going to give up the elaborate traps, and just going to tear apart my rock this weekend to get him, what i should have done in the first place, but was hoping to avoid.
before work on the canopy continues a last minute project will be added to the checklist a "semi-auto" top off system. I dont have an RO DI unit and wont until i move out of this house at some undisclosed time, but in the mean time i can use the remaining space on the left side of the stand for 15-20 gallon holding / kalk mixing tank hooked up with a mini pump and the solenoid valves in the sump. should cost around 70 dollars.

saltn00b

hey kevin, it seems you are the only one who cares about this thread LOL
my brother came down to help me sunday and we spent 8 hours on the tank.
most of the time was spent taking everything out and finally catching the blackcap and removing the anenome. so i was planning on taking pictures tonight of the new rockwork and new corals (we traded a little). we also made some slight adjustments to the closed loop system which had some VERY slow leaks. everything is looking good now.
next time he comes, we have to measure and cut out a new notch for the actual CLS return plumbing, because it is in a different location then we originally planned. with that notch cut, we can continue with the cnaopy construction.
In addition to the canopy, which is first on the list to complete, the final upgrade is going to be an auto top off unit / Kalkwasser drip that does not require an RO / DI unit. this will be blaced in the large opening on the right side.

azfishgal

Originally Posted by saltn00b
hey kevin, it seems you are the only one who cares about this thread LOL
He's not the only one.

So now that you finally have that last fish out, you now have to start counting down 6 weeks, right?
That stinks, but I guess it gives you time to redo you rock work and finish the canopy.

Can't wait to see the new pics.

kevin34

I am really interested in seeing your final canopy design because I am planning to get the constellation fixture like yours and I have no clue what I am doing for my canopy.

isistius

Originally Posted by Kevin34
I am really interested in seeing your final canopy design because I am planning to get the constellation fixture like yours and I have no clue what I am doing for my canopy.
neither do we!!

saltn00b

LOL
thanks AZ ^^
i took a lot of pics last night of the tank and the new rock work, it is growing on me daily. everything seems to be opening up nicely. pics will be up tonight.
jeff - the xenia is gone and i lost one of those unknown soldier zoas right off the rock. i saw it in a rock crevice.
kevin we have a pretty decent idea of what we are doing, but is both of our first time forraying into cabinetry, and i can promise you it wont be as pretty as AZ's!! but hey we can try! more to come on that...

kevin34

Hey saltn00b, I was wondering how do you like your constellation fixture overall? A guy at a lfs was telling me having that many bulbs would be a pain to replace and that the bulbs break very easily. I was also wondering how many ballasts it has. Do those also need to be replaced annually?

saltn00b

i love it so far! the bulbs cost me 280 bucks for 14. all bulbs break easy, what sort of comment is that? just be careful with them. it would be a pain if i had to replace every 6 months like MHs but t-5s last 2 years!