Saying Goodbye to my tanks, I choose my husband instead

rykna

Originally Posted by windmill
I didn't know women like you existed.I wonder if there are anymore out there.......
Wow!!! thanks, that's quite a complement. Maybe.... I'm adopted....I could have some sisters out there I don't know about
No worries, she's out there-You'll know when you find her!!! :happyfish

rykna

Originally Posted by swlover
Oh my..I don't know what to say
.... Bless your heart! Make sure you stick around the forums you have been the nicest person, you always are willing to help others and you have a wonderful personality...and Tx reef you are sooo sweet to offer that..it's ppl like you guys that keep me coming back. Your hubby IS a lucky man!
No worries!!!!! I plan keep up with all of you, after all I need my saltwater "fix"! Thankyou! :happyfish

L

lbaskball

Glad you are trying to work out the budget, this saltwater hobby is definetly aexpensive and very expensive. Even for me its hard not to buy a coral when I see a "Good deal" eventhough I may not have money to spend.
I will be setting up a new 14gal soon since my 24gal that I had , had to end due to everything that died after I came back from vacation. Ive been bumped out about that ever since but Ive been able to save money since that happend to start over. I promise you I will provide you with some great pictures of my new 14gal that I am hoping for great success as well as a great diversity of marine life. Hopefully you will enjoy all the pictures from my 14gal until you can get a saltwater tank again for yourself. Best of luck to you with everything.

reef diver

Rykna, that also amde me want to cry, however it is for the best, love is more important, especially if you don't want to lose it. However, should you like, if you have anything left, I will take some of your stuff. For a price (need to pay you) E-mail me at xanderstarekow@hotmail.com. Good luck with your marriage in the future, and I hope to see you here in the future Rykna.
In all sincerity,
~Xander Starekow

murph

Ok no tears shed here and I will tell you why.
First off I agree with your counselor.
Second; this hobby unlike others is one people tend to return to when circumstances change. Your money problems are not permanent and I see you returning to the hobby when things get better for you.
I speak from experience here. I have been in and out of the hobby a few times over the years. One of the amazing parts is to return and see all the changes in methods and equipment.
Who knows. By the time you make your return UG filters might be back in style.
Hopefully the LFS will come to there senses during your absence also and there prices will be more reasonable finally understanding that business volume can more than make up for insisting on 100 percent profit margins.

poniegirl

Your husband (AND your kiddos!) have a wonderful role model in you. I hope everything is returned to you, ten-fold.

sleasia

Rykna...also had another idea...I was thinking of doing this when someone at work "gave" me a 150 that used to be in their husband's restaurant....how bout contacting the local high school and offerring to be a "chair" of an after school club..."reef freaks" or geeks or something like that. And taking a group of interested high school kids through the process of setting up a saltwater reef...The science teachers would probably be interested and schools have so many contacts, probably any equipment you need could be donated or the school could buy what you have available to do this....Often kids are "charged" a "material fee" for some of these after school clubs which also could "pay" for either your equipment or whatever you need that is not donated by companies. Home depot is also very involved in "helping" schools and probably certainly would donate all of the plumbing stuff you would need, and wood etc. for a stand. You could get the "shop" teachers to help the kids make the stand and do the plumbing, or you and your husband could, then let the kids set it up,...have them do all the diy stuff possible, make Live Rock etc. and while everything is cycling study/present slide presentations on fish, corals, inverts etc....teach them about everything, get them connected to this site, have them research what conditions everything needs, compatability issues, feeding etc....give them each a copy of lion crazz's list....probably people from this site would let you use alot of their pics....(right NM? hint hint). Maybe get some visitors to speak every now and then, or go on field trips to buy when you are ready to stock...then as a grand finale, a school trip to the "conference" in pittsburg. just an idea . I was thinking of doing this here...because two large tanks in a family room is quite crowded....but there was one little problem...I had never done a reef tank? So I said...hmmmmm better do a reef tank first.

rykna

Thanks for all the great ideas. I look forward tothe day when I can again enjoy the beauty of the reef, and no worry about our budget.

reef diver

Originally Posted by sleasia
Rykna...also had another idea...I was thinking of doing this when someone at work "gave" me a 150 that used to be in their husband's restaurant....how bout contacting the local high school and offerring to be a "chair" of an after school club..."reef freaks" or geeks or something like that. And taking a group of interested high school kids through the process of setting up a saltwater reef...The science teachers would probably be interested and schools have so many contacts, probably any equipment you need could be donated or the school could buy what you have available to do this....Often kids are "charged" a "material fee" for some of these after school clubs which also could "pay" for either your equipment or whatever you need that is not donated by companies. Home depot is also very involved in "helping" schools and probably certainly would donate all of the plumbing stuff you would need, and wood etc. for a stand. You could get the "shop" teachers to help the kids make the stand and do the plumbing, or you and your husband could, then let the kids set it up,...have them do all the diy stuff possible, make Live Rock etc. and while everything is cycling study/present slide presentations on fish, corals, inverts etc....teach them about everything, get them connected to this site, have them research what conditions everything needs, compatability issues, feeding etc....give them each a copy of lion crazz's list....probably people from this site would let you use alot of their pics....(right NM? hint hint). Maybe get some visitors to speak every now and then, or go on field trips to buy when you are ready to stock...then as a grand finale, a school trip to the "conference" in pittsburg. just an idea . I was thinking of doing this here...because two large tanks in a family room is quite crowded....but there was one little problem...I had never done a reef tank? So I said...hmmmmm better do a reef tank first.
Wow thats an awesome Idea! I only wish the schoolI lived in had more fish fanatics to make a club.
Lion crazz's list? Can you sen me a link?

rykna

Yeah...I tried that with Aria's school, my daughter....first they said yes....so I spent 300 bucks got home(this was earlier, before I decided to take the tanks down), and the school called 20 minutes latter and said they had changes their minds. So I am a little gun shy there, but a great idea!!!!!
Thanks all

rykna

Sorry, the skimmer has been taken...I have 2 items left posted in the classifed forum. a canister and my tank. Thanks for the inquiry though.

rykna

Man does this thread take me down memory lane. My husband, Brian, and I have come almost full circle in the past two years since I posted this. I am back into my tanks, but with enjoyment and respect to each other. The seahorses are the first fish Brian has shown interest in. Not only that, but he will sit my the tanks and watch them.

I am very thankful that I am able to enjoy my tanks again.
~Rykna

groupergenius

Originally Posted by Rykna
Man does this thread take me down memory lane. My husband, Brian, and I have come almost full circle in the past two years since I posted this. I am back into my tanks, but with enjoyment and respect to each other. The seahorses are the first fish Brian has shown interest in. Not only that, but he will sit my the tanks and watch them.

I am very thankful that I am able to enjoy my tanks again.
~Rykna
Great to hear.

rykna

Originally Posted by MaTT B
NOOOOOOOOO DONT LEAVE!!!! but i guess what ur doing is right
nonononoononono.....not at all...this is a very old thread from 2006, I was just taking a walk down memory lane.

I'm here to stay.

matt b

Originally Posted by Rykna
nonononoononono.....not at all...this is a very old thread from 2006, I was just taking a walk down memory lane.

I'm here to stay.
ooo ahahahahahah i read like half of it i couldent read it all!!! i mean its a day off from school i just couldent do it lol

rykna

Originally Posted by MaTT B
ooo ahahahahahah i read like half of it i couldent read it all!!! i mean its a day off from school i just couldent do it lol
No prob...enjoy your day off

maxalmon

The most important thing to remember is that your being proactive, good for you in taking the first step in the right direction....
....Like it was mentioned above, almost everyone who leaves this hobby for whatever reason, almost always comes back.........Good Luck...