schooling fish

meowzer

I read that Anthias school...they are kinda pricey though....but nice....I was thinking of getting a few until I saw the price....LOL

florida joe

Buy schooling I assume you mean more then two. I don’t know your budge but look into Golden forktail (assessor flavissimus)

king_neptune

antheias. but i also read they are a little more difficult to keep.
then again ive seen all sorts of stuff school.
I watched home video of a dozen yellow tangs school, and the story behind tangs is they dont get along.

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3114572
antheias. but i also read they are a little more difficult to keep.
then again ive seen all sorts of stuff school.
I watched home video of a dozen yellow tangs school, and the story behind tangs is they dont get along.
tangs dont get along if introduced to a tank at seperate times, if one is already established in your tank and then you add another, then yes they will fight constantly. ive also been told that if you already have one in your tank and with to add more, than you should add at least 2-3 so the established tang will not pick on just one fish. A rule of thumb with tangs is to keep them in large groups and they will do fine, around 5-7 is my personal opinion

stoss

whatever you buy for schooling fish, you should add them at once. when you add them one by one, it just causes problems over territory.

A

abeandlulu

Originally Posted by bryce.martin23
http:///forum/post/3114644
tangs dont get along if introduced to a tank at seperate times, if one is already established in your tank and then you add another, then yes they will fight constantly. ive also been told that if you already have one in your tank and with to add more, than you should add at least 2-3 so the established tang will not pick on just one fish. A rule of thumb with tangs is to keep them in large groups and they will do fine, around 5-7 is my personal opinion
i had six yellow tangs in my 265 gallon they did fine a first but then one started pickin on all of them. I removed him took him back to the LFS. then 4 started pickin at one i put hime in the 90 gallon. then they turned on the baby. Now i have 3 tangs in the tank and they get along fine.

florida joe

Originally Posted by bryce.martin23
http:///forum/post/3114644
I say this with all due respect. I disagree with every one of your statements. That being said I most certainly will debate you on one of all of them at your leisure
And lets clarify what we mean by schooling fish. In the open ocean they can count in the hundreds in the home aquarium I believe they have to be in the number of 4 to 6 to be considered schooling.

uneverno

1st, what Joe said.
You could try Masked gobies (Coryphopterus personatus.) I have three in my tank. They hang out together, sort of, so could be considered schooling fish in a manner of speaking. They are full grown at 1.5", though, so you take your chances w/ larger fish, obviously.
Anthias have special care requirements. Not the easiest critters to keep, and IMO a 75 is too small for a school.
I wouldn't attempt to group tangs in a home aquarium, personally. I can't imagine trying to keep 5-7 yellows in anything less than a few thousand gallons. (Exceptions to every rule, and someone will chime in that's done it, but I wouldn't.)
Assessors? Nice fish. Haven't run across one yet that I could afford, let alone several...
One tends to think of schooling fish as not being territorial. That's in the ocean though. Confine them, and you'll see how territorial they can become.
You could always try Moorish Idols. (Before someone gets on me - I'm kidding!)

bulldog123

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3115842
While they are one of the more expensive fish, I was only answering the original question and did say “I don’t know your budget”
It was a side joke I know you and a few others got it. And the ones I seen were $99.