Sea Snakes!!!!!!!

dragonfli

sorry that first part was a quote from the supposed "animal control unit" in hawaii.
and again whqat a joke! :needhelp:

cbarnes

Maybe you should call up your "buddy" that put him in the tank to come and take him out :D Just keep 911 on hold while he does it
All the luck to you man!!! I'll be thinkin about you. Be CAREFUL!!!
CMB :happy:

cbarnes

Although---gotta tell you---trying to get my 17 month old to eat his dinner rite now (3/4 on the floor) I'll come get your snake if you come and watch my kid.

CMB

1journeyman

Are we sure it's a snake?
*Snakes have to breath air. If it is never coming up for air then...(they are thought to only be able to stay submerged for 90 minutes, possibly longer...)
*The Hawaiin sea snake, Pelamis platurus is considered an "open ocean" sea snake. It travels the currents at sea. Hiding in the sand is not normal behavior for a deep water snake.
*Bite marks on fish? The venom of a sea snake should kill a fish almost, if not, instantly I'd guess.

dragonfli

hey i got a glimpse of the bugger! he is tiny. just like my (i guess still) friend said length of two bic pens and a bit skinnier. i saw him in the back of the tank. he came up and then went right back down. he doesnt really burrough in the sand. he swims into it like it isnt even there. it was pretty eerie. well im going to empty the tank tonight, dump the sand, kill the bas!-$$%rd, take a pic, and then start over again.

dragonfli

journey man the Pelamis platurus is the yellow bellied sea snake, and does like mid depth tropical water.(so ive read) from what i saw he is a sea krait. cousin of the cobra, and if they dont move it is supposed that they can stay down for very extended lengths of time. a few sites even said tht they might absorb enough oxygen through their skin (if they dont move) to stay down. if they are feeding or active at all you are right; they can only be down about 90 min.
but anyways im going to get this guy outta the tank tonight. (he looked exactly like the pic in the beginning of this thread.)

dragonfli

cbarnes. ive got a 22month old. i can handle the kid. if you can han handle the aquatic pit viper. (that is only a few inches long
)

cbarnes

You got yourself a deal!!!! Just send me a ticket to Hawaii and i will be the snake whisperer for you!!! :hilarious Good luck my friend!!! And if you need me--I am only a flight away---on the condition you can make my child eat. :hilarious
CMB

fuax

Dragon sorry just had to post this is the most exciting thread I have ever read on any board I have ever been on.
I say we take all the posts and write short book we can call it "Adventures in Aquarium Keeping"
And as for the snake I am thinking thick leather gloves and a ballpeen hammer (not serious about the hammer just let it go back in the ocean) just my opinion.
For gods sake man be very careful we all want you to come out of this ok

monalisa

So?...Any luck? Exciting for sure. I hope everything is going well, Dragon. Keep us posted, if for nothing else than just to let us know that you're okay. :yes:
Lisa :happyfish

dskidmore

Originally Posted by Jcarroll
I'm just saying "HI" so I can be subscribed to this thread, since I don't see a "subscribe to this thread button" anymore
It's under Thread Tools, at the top of the page.

dskidmore

Originally Posted by dragonfli
Funny some people cant get the stuff to grow in their thousand dollar tanks, but give the coral a knee cap or a wrist and hey they'll grow fine.
Well, human intercellular fluid and blood is rather close to sea water chemically speaking. Your blood has 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates thanks to your kidneys.
I'm not sure what the coral would eat though, wouldn't blood cells be too small? If close to the skin of a person who spends alot of time outdoors, it could get enough light to grow.
Be very careful about that snake. I'd have someone around to call 911 anytime I was messing with the tank.
I vote for draining the tank, he should have trouble climbing up the sides to get out after it's drained. At worst he'll die of starvation and you'll have to re-cycle all of your sand. At best it will be easier to catch him when he's forced to crawl rather than swim.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by dragonfli
from what i saw he is a sea krait.
You need to contact your Hawaiin Parks and Wildlife Department then. Sea Kraits aren't found in Hawaiin waters. I'm sure that they would take it from you to study. you might also try a couple of Universities. Especially if it is a young one.
I still say it must not be a snake. Even Kraits cannot stay under indefinitely (the database at Aquarium of the Pacific marks them as being able to stay under for 2 hours). Also, since Kraits are among the most deadly of the sea snakes your fish with bite marks surely would have been envenomated and killed.
Furthermore, the Sea Krait often goes ashore to digest it's meal. Your tank seems to have suffered an awful lot of casualties for a reptile whose metabolism shouldn't require it to be eating that fast.
I believe you've got something in your tank, but I just think it's been mis-keyed as another species.
I've searched the web and didn't see any cases of Sea Kraits being found in Hawaii. Do you know of any? That would be fascinating.

monalisa

Dragon,
I just watched that video again...twice...in the video, they say that that snake is not prone to bite humans...but if they did...sorry to say...death in minutes...EEK

I'm really concerned. Let us know what's happening!!
Lisa :happyfish

kleekai

Could it be a garden eel? I seen one at my LFS the other day and it was black and with kinda looked the the one in the picture a little.

dragonfli

MAN i was hoping it was a garden eel. but what i saw him do was swim straight into the water, nose first like the sand was water it was weird. and garden eels back into the sand and leave their heads up.
journey man i hope you are right and that it isnt what i think (90%) it is. but hey if i am wrong ill post a pic of the mantis, and well all have a good laugh.....deal?
but i have talked to the waikiki aquarium today and they say that they have had reports of the banded sea snake (aka sea krait) from time to time, and have had one of their oceanographers actually confirm that . i guess they say that this one is a small juvenile and that they have no idea how long the little ones can stay down, they didnt know the eating habits either(but were very anxious for a donation). all the fish that he ate are very small juveniles. i took my larger fish back and started over with smaller stock and well most were not larger than a dime.
about the bite mark on my damsel.....i saw my crab snap at him again, and "bruise" his belly again......so that might solve that mystery. but im going to take all the LR outta the tank and sift the soon to no longer be LS. and find the little culprit. i have an oceanographer friend coming over, and hell take it to work to have some fun with.
-- Banded Sea Snake sighting - Hawaii posted by Mike Mgebroff on Luglio 15, 2000 at 14:15:50:
-- Banded Sea Snake sighting - Hawaii posted by David Zuckerman on Novembre 05, 2000 at 19:03:44:
those are a couple of sightings, and the aquarium mentioned that they have had more but not confirmed.

fishieness

wait wait wait.. banded sea snake?
i remember a bit back had what was a "banded snake eel" in his tank, it hid in the sand, and ate all his fish. It was also black and white, hopefully it was one of these guys. I havent seen him in a while, and when i serched, it was too far back to get the pics to show up.... maybe he will come by and give us some more.kcobain111
as far as the corals growing in your knee, would it even need the sunlight? sure all the microorganisms providing the coral with photosythesis would probalby die, but youd have pleanty of vitamins and neatrients running in your viens. It probably worked jsut like any parasite.

mombostic

Being a big snake lover myself (it was my specialty in my former career) I would suggest that you get an expert to help you. Instead of animal control, maybe you could call a local expert. Having only been on Maui, I'm not sure what is on Oahu. Is there an ocean center or aquarium? They might (should) be interested in finding out what kind of creature you have and furthermore, they would be a lot more qualified to be rooting around your tank.
I'm landlocked, and my knowledge is primarily contained to land snakes, but are sea snakes front or rear fanged? It seems like I read they are rear fanged. Please don't jump me--I'm not sure. I also think they would be very unlikely to bite, but "unlikely" is a very poor situation when you consider the possibilities.
Anywhere, surely there must be a biologist somewhere that can help. Good luck.