seaclone 100

fooseball08

i just bought a seaclone 100 protien skimmer and its the fist skimmer i have ever owned. First off i dont know how to tell when the airflow is adjusted correctly. Secondly is there some way to prevent all of the bubbles from the skimmer from flowing into the tank. I dont like how it looks.

ibew41

it has to break in then they will stop the seaclones are not one of the better skimmers kind of hit or miss hope it works

slider101

Alot of people on here are going to bash the skimmer. Personally I have one, it is my first one and been using it for a little of 2 months on my 55 gal. This is how I adjusted mine.
Turned

[hr]
all the way in so no bubbles at all.
Slowly started backing

[hr]
out and watched the tube that leads from the pump down to the bottom of the housing.
You will see bubbles fill that tube. I kept turning it until I saw an air gap form at that bottom bend where it meets the housing.
That way I had the max air in the line and kept the most amount of water.
I have had alot of bubble get into the tank also and what I had to do was I completely removed the adjustment

[hr]
out of the hose and left it that way for a couple of hours and then put it back all the way in and started readjusting from there.
It took my skimmer a couple of weeks to finally start collecting but now I get a nice brown skimmate out of it .
Hope this helps

nordy

I have had the Seaclone on my 55 gal tank for a couple of years now and I like it! After figuring out how to dial in the airbleed valve, it has been very consistent, producing a good amouint of dark nasty gunk. Be sure to regularly clean the foam pre-filter on the powerhead. You may have to clean it every week or so-keep an eye on the intake tube because as the foam gets gunked up, waterflow is reduced and the air/water balance gets out of whack.
Also keep an eye on the twist connectors for the tubes-they can loosen up and leak-I had to silicone seal mine.
As I recall, the factory suggests adjusting the air until the air gap in the top tube just goes away.

bmkj02

Its a real good skimmer once you get it adjusted correct. Lots of people bash it but I dont think they were able to figure it all out. I have the 150 on my 55. The one thing I did do to mine was removed the foam filter completely. Like Nordy said once it gets clogged up it pulls more air then water and throws it off. I got tired of it and just did away with the foam filter.

todj2002

mine is foaming and pulling out gunk all the time. had it for bout 2 years since i started tank. it does need to break in then u will see results. i leave my air scew wide open just barely sitting there.

fooseball08

thanks for all of the help... i set my adjustment

[hr]
as loose as possible and after about 3 hours of running the bubbles intering the tanks have substantially slowed down so hopefully they will stop eventually. i have also noticed it is starting to collect a little bit of brown residue on the cup... so far so good

slider101

Originally Posted by fooseball08
http:///forum/post/2899871
thanks for all of the help... i set my adjustment

[hr]
as loose as possible and after about 3 hours of running the bubbles intering the tanks have substantially slowed down so hopefully they will stop eventually. i have also noticed it is starting to collect a little bit of brown residue on the cup... so far so good
There you go! We people with these so called "cheap and no good" skimmers need to stick together lol. Just kidding, I really like mine and glad you are seeing some improvement. Once you get it dialed in you should have no problems. This skimmer works great on smaller tanks. Just give it a few days between adjustments to see how the collecting is going.

keebler

Originally Posted by slider101
http:///forum/post/2900413
There you go! We people with these so called "cheap and no good" skimmers need to stick together lol. Just kidding, I really like mine and glad you are seeing some improvement. Once you get it dialed in you should have no problems. This skimmer works great on smaller tanks. Just give it a few days between adjustments to see how the collecting is going.
Yes they work...but what do you have to compare it with. Imo, a little more money=a whole better skimmer.

slider101

Originally Posted by Keebler
http:///forum/post/2900851
Yes they work...but what do you have to compare it with. Imo, a little more money=a whole better skimmer.
I don't have anything to compare it too yet, my point is it is a decent entry level skimmer if you work with it. I have a very limited budget and acutally wanted to put something in my tank as apposed to just having a nice skimmer. If you can afford something more then def go ahead. I wouldn't recommend having a giant bioload with this skimmer either which I don't.

jlm48

I have had both a Sea Clone and a Euro-Reef. The Euro was easier to use and basically plug-&-play. The Sea Clone was more "hands-on" and required a lot of tinkering. However they both performed well.

djhavoc

i have the 150 on my 30 and i hated when ever i feed it would bubble up my tank bad. i love the way it works so i built a sump and put the 150 in my sump. no more bubbles! and works alot better, plus i hated the look of having it hang on my tank

slider101

Originally Posted by JLM48
http:///forum/post/2901241
I have had both a Sea Clone and a Euro-Reef. The Euro was easier to use and basically plug-&-play. The Sea Clone was more "hands-on" and required a lot of tinkering. However they both performed well.
You're right, does require a little more hands on. Since it is the only one I have ever had then I don't know any different. Just means that when I upgrade to a better unit one day I will not know what to be doing all the time lol.

meowzer

Just researched a Euro Reef...for that amount of money does it come with someone to clean it? LOL

nordy

After reading and posting on this thread yesterday, I got motivated and broke my seaclone 150 down, soaked it vinigar to loosen all the coraline, then bleach to get rid of all the algae, scrubbed and rinsed it thoroughly then reassembled it and it's just like new! Which means that it isn't skimming and will have to break in all over again. oh well, I still like it.

jlm48

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2901700
Just researched a Euro Reef...for that amount of money does it come with someone to clean it? LOL
I can tell you from experience that IT DOES NOT come with someone to clean it. That someone was me! That was really the only thing that I hated about it, other than that it was a FANTASTIC skimmer. I really just plugged it in and it worked. Some requirements however are you must have a sump, which can present a host of problems in itself. I do think it was worth the money and if I set up another big tank it is definitely the way I'm going to go, meaning sump and Euro-reef skimmer (right now I have a 28 gal nano). I think the Sea Clone I had, which was on a 55 gal, worked well and was an excellent deal for what I paid for it.

meowzer

My seaclone works great, it's just that it is a 150 and I have a 225 gallon tank. I think I might try glueing my seaclone 100, so I can at least use it until I get the sump (IF I GET ONE) I mean do you really have to have one? (a sump)

todj2002

here is a couple pics of mine. and it looks like this daily, i only wish it had a bigger collection cup so i would not have to empty as often. i only have a 55 gallon but i think it is doing its job.

meowzer

LOL...I'd say so...mine is like that all the time too, but it hangs on the back. When I had 2 I didn't have to clean it as much, although when I did have to clean it I had to 2 to clean...

fooseball08

thanks for everyones help now that it has been running a couple of days i see no bubbles in my tank and it is collecting stinky green nasty stuff so i think its doing its job. Hopefully it will continue to work for me... I think it was a pretty good buy for 50 bucks