share your triggerfish!

lmforbis

I use the same as Peg with essentially the same schedule. I don't use the high capacity GFO and I use the pump the sell with it with no problems. I have Chaeto in my fuge and it is growing fast so it must be doing something. In the last 3-4 weeks all my algae has dissapeared except the film on the glass. Could be partly the two tangs I added on the 4th.

Kristin1234

Ok sorry took longer than planned to post new updated video @Kristin1234

Here is the newest project 250 gallon reef

Wow! @Dflo . Both of your tanks are AMAZING! I looove that achiles tang. He is absolutely beautiful. And that angel is huge! & the butterfly too! You have done a great job. I hope one day to have 1 tank like either of those. That reed tank is awesome.

Kristin1234

While the boys talk about making their guns go "bang", I'll answer your question. I went through a ton of Chemi-Clean, and all I accomplished was to deplete my bank account. I finally broke down and bought the BRS dual GFO canisters and a Mag-Drive 3 pump. They sell it with a Cobalt MJ-1200 pump, but I was informed by BRS that the 1200 wasn't strong enough to run high-capacity GFO and carbon. It would work fine for regular GFO, but I opted to use high-capacity since it lasts longer. Since installing the canisters, my PO4 has dropped to .04. I change out the carbon every two weeks, and GFO about every 4-6 weeks. I usually let the algae on the glass be my indicator for changing GFO. When I have to clean the glass a couple more times a week, it's time for a change. I rarely test my PO4 level, but when I do, it's always .04... or less.

PS: Don't take it the wrong way, guys... I've done my share of hunting. There's nothing like the sweet smell of gunpowder early in the morning... lol!!!

Is it this one?

300181-brs-reactor---dual-a-new-label.jpg

pegasus

I use the BRS brand High-Capacity GFO and ROX .8 carbon. As I mentioned earlier, the MJ-1200 isn't strong enough for high-capacity GFO, so I bought a Mag-Drive 3. It's a bit strong, but the control valve that comes with the canisters allows me to adjust the flow so it's just right. If you get the canisters with the MJ-1200 pump, you'll want to use their standard GFO. It's quite a bit cheaper than their high-capacity... 1/2 gallon of standard GFO is $40 vs. $100 for H/C GFO.

Dflo

Thanks @Kristin1234 from I remember seeing your tank looks pretty good as well. I just upgraded the reef from a 72 so slowly transferring fish over and have some in QT as well waiting

lmforbis

All the tubing and a valve to adjust the flow rate is included. You can buy it with the pump in your pic as a package or a different one. The people there are very helpful they are all reefers. I've been to their offices and they have tanks on their desks. Pretty cool. They can answer any of your questions about specific pieces for your tank.

pegasus

Does it come with everything needed or do I need to get some tubes or valves or anything?
The only thing you'll need that doesn't come with the kit are replacement reactor pads. These are the coarse foam pads that come with the kit, but they get pretty nasty pretty quick... especially the pads in the carbon cartridge. I've washed mine several times, but they never looked clean, so I ordered several spares. Their video doesn't show the pads in the GFO reactor when it's running, but I use one on the top of my GFO to keep fines out of the carbon-side pads. It seems like it takes longer for the pads to clog doing it this way. No need to run one on the bottom of the GFO, as this is where the water enters the media.

pegasus

Hmm... I would think that spelling would have a great deal of importance in the world of chemistry. Just saying... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm a little rambunctious tonight. I couldn't resist! I apologize for that... :oops:

lmforbis

Hmm... I would think that spelling would have a great deal of importance in the world of chemistry. Just saying... :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm a little rambunctious tonight. I couldn't resist! I apologize for that... :oops:
It's more about numbers. Lots of math. Not so much spelling that's what proof readers and lab assistants are for.