SHARK!

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/389371/shark/20#post_3442342
YOU CAN NOT KEEP AN OCELLARIS AND MAROON IN THE SAME TANK.
LOL.....You also can not put an anemone in a new tank.....the tank needs to be a MINIMUM of 6 months old.....and have the proper lighting....
THAT is 6 months after the begining cycle

I know! I meant one or the other. What do you like more I am leaning towards gold stripe maroon clowns. How are these? I hear they r the biggest and most aggressive.

meowzer

The question should be....what do YOU like best?: It does not matter what anyone else likes....only that the are compatible, and your tank is appropriate for the stock you are looking into

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeepingPRO http:///t/389371/shark/40#post_3442362
I know! I meant one or the other. What do you like more I am leaning towards gold stripe maroon clowns. How are these? I hear they r the biggest and most aggressive.
If you like critters that draw blood, nasty, rearrange your tank and dictate what can and cannot be in the tank (including your hand), I say go for it.

sweatervest13

Very entertaining read. LOL
You seem to know something about SW fish, but then you ask crazy questions. Where are you doing your research??
Many people have said on this thread that raising clown fish is not an easy task, but you ask what other fish you can keep along with breeding clowns. Seems strange to me.
SW fish keeping is not easy and you seem determined to do expert level husbandry. Have you cycled a tank yet?
I am not trying to be mean or anything like that, but this whole deal here seems off. Have you been on this site before with a different username?
I think Tommie Lynn is right... Troll

travelerjp98

fishkeepingPRO,
I know that you want to get into breeding clowns, but that is really advanced. For begginers, a 75g is perfect.
I think that you should go ahead and cycle it, and keep easy fish for a 75g. Like Ocellaris or Percula Clownfish, a Kole Tang, A Longnose hawkfish, or other fish along those lines. Get comfortable with the hobby first. I have been in the hobby for years and am still asking questions every day. I think that you should set it up as a FOWLR for now, and then get into corals if you want. Once you have mastered that, get into clownfish breeding... I am not trying to be mean or anything, but we are practically the same age and I get where you're coming from. Good luck in the hobby. Anytime you need help, pointers, or guidance, feel free to PM me....... and don't be afraid to ask questions :)
-travelerjp98

S

saxman

FWIW, I think a 75 is a good first tank size as well. It will be a whole heck of a lot more stable than a 20 gal, which will ultimately become harder to keep as the water chemistry changes. I have tanks of all sizes, but the smaller ones are definitely more trouble.

a 20 gallon is less stable but I started with a 12 gallon and did just fine
If you keep up with the water changes you will be fine
plus if you lose the animals it won't cost to much

btldreef

Another thing to consider:
If you buy your clownfish very young, it will take them time before they are mature enough to spawn and produce successful fry. So as you are learning the hobby, your fish can mature. When you are ready, set up a separate fry tank. Research breeding clowns A LOT. I used to keep a tile in the tank that the clowns would lay on. I timed it to when the tile would need to be removed and placed that in a tank to raise the fry as they hatched. (Research this method, I'm not going to sit here and explain it). But you need to get some saltwater experience before you attempt breeding clowns.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkeepingPRO http:///t/389371/shark/40#post_3442570
Could i have mated clowns in my 75 with fish in it?
Yes... but they won't breed successfully. Also, make sure that they are a more docile species of clownfish because mated pairs can get to be aggressive.
Also could i have a purple tang and harlequin tuskfish in my 75?
No, and no. sorry.

If I have an anemone an 2 maroon clowns, with top water swimmers like tangs, how would I not be able to breed them? They become highly aggressive during breeding.