Shipping and Handling Advice

kdfrosty

I've done thermos trading in the past. Seems to work great, and I have never lost a coral this way.
Recently I have bought a coral from an online vendor, and it didn't make it. I created a little page for them to see how the package arrived to me. It was a Zoanthid frag. Here's the link to the detailed shipping mishap.

schadiest1

KDFrosty, i can't get the page to load. I'm just wondering what happened with your zoos? I'm about to order some, and also frag them out in the future.

fla boy

I am looking to trade off a lot of xenia. Any shipping advice as far as 1)water volume & 2) thermos or bag? Do they ship well overnight? My tank is overgrown and it is time to thin it out. Thanks for any tips.

reefnut

I just learned a grave mistake... DO NOT put macro algae in the bag/container that you are shipping the animal in. As Bang Guy reminded me, in the dark algae consumes O2... leaving the water with no oxygen.
I had thought having the algae in the bag would help to maintain the water quality... my mistake caused my prized Purple Tang to die in transport

cda fish

fla boy.. I have really nothing to trade because all of my stuff is still pretty small in size ... but if you wanted to ship to Idaho i would gladly pay for any shipping cost and materials. :joy:

reefer jer

I raise corals as just a hobby, for 6 years now.....I ship all the time I sell off extra frags(tons of them ), and do many trades all the time...
Heres what I use with 99.9% shipping success....
styrofoam box, cardboard box outside
lined in newspaper
then a trash bag, not closed up though
then paper towels
my secret....hmmmm...should I tel...???lol
Ok my secret is smaller box, less water, less weight, and less shipping MONEY! 99.9% success shipping......
What is it, ya say......??
Simple....
two words, BREATHABLE BAGS!
These are awsome, never break or tare, and I ship tons of jagid sharp sps....they just stetch.....these thing are unreal!
Use just enough water probably 1/4 cup per frags.....they cost like $13 per 100 bags, get them at *Link Removed*.
Thanks Reefers!
Jeremy
Reefer J

reefer jer

One more new tip that is a break through in shipping all xenia and soft corals...I've never experimented on sps with this method, as I already have near 100% success with them...
But here it is...(tried and proven!)
Put several grains of activated carbon in bag, absorbs all suffocating toxins/mucus from the coral, during shipping....
Next tip is to add a dash of Sea chems reef plus to each shipping bag as well...
Hope these can help a fellow frag farmer out...works great for this christian frag farmer!
Peace;
Reefer Jerm

tankslave

I sent some decent sized Kenya trees to 2 people on this forum, 1 to Chicago and 1 to Florida. I took to work and used oxygen and double bagged with bubble wrap between the bags.
We also lucked out here. Next day was $85. Second day was $38 but they told me if I shipped Monday they would have it Wed (which sounded A LOT like 2 days to me).
But anyway I dropped off at DHL and forgot to write in what was being shipped (which is required). They opened the package and upgraded to overnight. I had only paid $5 for one and $7 for one.
I was told they arrived in good shape and 1 person even told me he had recieved other mail order things that were not so I would use oxygen if available.

reefer jer

Good advice!
But I prefer (much cheaper and simplier), to use breathable bags....no need to use O2 with these....I ship several boxes every week though....I can fit 7 frags in a 6x6x6 box, and well over 20 in a 9x9x9 box....
Jerm

robpsca

Originally Posted by Reefer Jer
Good advice!
But I prefer (much cheaper and simplier), to use breathable bags....no need to use O2 with these....I ship several boxes every week though....I can fit 7 frags in a 6x6x6 box, and well over 20 in a 9x9x9 box....
Jerm
do the breathable bags hold water? and where do you get them?

zman1

Originally Posted by Reefer Jer
"Kens fish".
Jeremy
Reefer J
jerm28@ruraltel.net

Google - Kens fish - it will be your first choice, then go to shipping supplies.
or you could try his email.
HTH

tankslave

I'm kinda new here and that was my first time shipping..Had never heard of breathable bags...thanks for the advice reefer
And rob maybe reefer will check back and reply but I would guess water molecules are bigger than air and the bags would hold the water.......just a guess.... and he said a couple of replies back where he got them. I'm not sure we're supposed to post info like that so I'm not repeating.

reefer jer

HELLO HELLO HELLO!
Reefer Jerm back!
Yes *Link Removed*.......very good guy to deal with, about the only place I can find these awsome bags!
The spaces in the bag are smaller than an O2 , but bigger than a water....
Reefer Jerm