Sick of Cyano! Please help.

tirtza

Oh my gosh, you guys are hilarious!!! I feel like a dork sitting in my living room with no one else in the room laughing out loud.

tirtza

So part of my cyano battle includes cutting back on nutrients. I know not to feed more than my fish can eat in a 1-2 minute time period, and I always feed just once a day (in the evening).
So I'm preparing more food tonight, I like to make 3 days worth at one time because it's such a hassle to defrost & rinse for every feeding. Since I want to cut back on nutrients but still maintain variety I have a couple of questions...Keep in mind it's a FOWLR and there are only 3 small fish in there (2 clowns and a Fire Fish Goby)
For 3 days worth of food:
[list type=decimal]
[*]
Should I use a whole, 1/2, or 1/4 cube of Mysis Shrimp?
[*]
Should I still use the Frozen Formula 1? If so, would you recommend a whole, 1/2, or 1/4 cube? (keep in mind I rinse it very very well and the ingredients for Formula 1 are listed below.
Should I continue adding cyclops into the food mixture? I don't ever rinse this because the pieces of food are so tiny that they just wash through the net. The pieces are also so tiny my fish seem more interested in the bigger pieces of food like the mysis in the water column during feeding time any ways. It seems like this would be a food that would be better used for when I actually have coral. What do you think?
Should I continue soaking the food in garlic? Could the garlic also be a contributing factor in the cyano?
[/list type=decimal]
Frozen Formula 1 Ingredients
Ingredients: Shrimp, krill, gel binder, spinach, clams, krill hydrolysate, sardine meal, plankton, salmon egg oil, squid, kelp, lecithin, casein, paprika, canthaxanthin, cod liver oil, astaxanthin, vitamins (choline chloride, ascorbic acid including stabilized Vitamin C, Vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, Vitamin B-12 supplement, Vitamin D3 supplement, beta-carotene supplement, biotin), amino acids (dl-methionine, taurine, lysine), and trace elements of manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, and sodium selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein*

13.0% min

Crude Fat

1.25% min

Crude Fiber

0.50% max

Moisture

85.00% max

tirtza

One more question....
Would re-seeding my tank with some Copepods help or hurt my cyano problem? I was already considering adding some before my cyano issues but I don't want to exacerbate my cyano issue.

spanko

If you are asking whether or not they will consume cyano I think the answer is no. However they will consume phytoplankton (tiny plants and algae), small micro zoo plankton (zoo plankton that are smaller than 200 microns,), and detritus.
Their population will self regulate to the conditions of your tank. They will go through periods of maximum overpopulation and then some will die off according to the available food stuffs. The population will also be regulated by the predators in your tank.

beaslbob

After kinda skim reading this thread I recommend you kill your lights and stop adding food until the cyano dies off. Which should only take a couple of days because it is so light. Then resume with less lighting and less feeding. If cyano comes back reduce both. If it doesn't increase both.
You will find some combination of lights and feeding that allow the corraline, fish, corals, macors and so on thrive but cyano dies off and does not return.
my .02

tirtza

Hi beaslbob, thanks for the advice!
Quote:
Which should only take a couple of days because it is so light.
What is "light", the color of the cyano or the cyano itself? My lights are only on for 5 hours a day right now (36 watt compact blue actinic from 5 pm - 10 pm and 36 watt compact white fluorescent from 5:30 - 9:30. Will extended periods of darkness affect the fish or inverts at all?

beaslbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirtza http:///t/390000/sick-of-cyano-please-help/40#post_3452396
What is "light", the color of the cyano or the cyano itself? My lights are only on for 5 hours a day right now (36 watt compact blue actinic from 5 pm - 10 pm and 36 watt compact white fluorescent from 5:30 - 9:30. Will extended periods of darkness affect the fish or inverts at all?
By light I meant a little as opposed to a heavy amount of cyano. I had one tank that had build up a thick mat of cyano over the substrate. Which I removed. then adjusted the lighting so it would not come back. Actually disconnected some tubes in that case. Funny think was that under the lower bluer lights the pruple corraline took off as well.
Some macro algaes in a refugium would help as well. So the macros consume the nutrients and help keeping cyano at bay.
Sure extended blackout can hurt inverts that use light. But this is a temporary "fix" which rebalances the tank so the inverts, corraling algae and marcos are in control. Which will help the inverts as well.
my .02

tirtza

Keeping the lights off and not feeding for 2 days definitely worked! It might just be a temporary fix until I get just the right balance of food/light. I literally time myself when I'm feeding now. I put in a pinch of food and when every scrap is eaten I'll put in another one. I do this for exactly 2 minutes once a day. Hopefully the cyano will stay away!
Thank you everyone for your help!!

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida joe http:///t/390000/sick-of-cyano-please-help/40#post_3453977
Kiefers here is a avatar for you

Well,..... uhm. You know I could look at this in two different ways.
1) Mess with me and this guys got my back or body guard..............
2) Uh..... I don't want to think about the other view. (what you trying to say there Joe?) Lol
(that just kinda hurts Joe.... just a little )

tirtza

Quote:
Have you stirred the very top layer of sand where the cyano was at all?
Yep, a couple of times. Most recently yesterday when I was doing a water change. It was kind of unintentional I just wasn't paying attention when I was pumping new water into the aquarium and I had the hose pointed at the sand causing it to stir up. Why do you ask? Do you think the stirring the top layer could have helped or hurt the problem?

tirtza

Quote:
I'll just keep my little turtle dude.
Hi Keith! is your avatar a turtle?? I couldn't ever figure out what it actually was....

spanko

Helped. And now that you have some coral in there doing this will help to get any surface detritus up into the water column to geed the coral and remove the excess through your filter.
Fish poop, best coral food out there.
Don't do it to a large area, just a small patch every so often and just the very top layer.