Sick of Cyano! Please help.

tirtza

Lol.....you guys are great :) Thanks so much for the reassurance! I promise, I'll try and be more patient. I guess I'm just kind of a perfectionist.
Quote:
You also have to remember that your system is still new and your doing great. Keep up with your chores and things will come together.
Thanks Henry

I didn't know that I could put a protein skimmer in the middle chamber? I thought it had to be in the right hand chamber.... I have an Aquatic Life 115, I'll try putting it in the middle chamber. What else should go in the middle chamber? I currently have filter floss, a carbon filter pad on top of the plastic media tray, and below that I have a bag of Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite. The filter floss really helps keep the water sound quiet.
If I put the Aquatic Life protein skimmer in the middle chamber then how should I reconfigure the filter media in the middle chamber?
Quote:
Kill the lights and stop feeding until it goes away (again).
Would it hurt the coral if I keep the lights off for a day or two and didn't feed?
Quote:
Never never never use chemical warfare for cyano.
Okay, I promise no chemical warfare unless my whole tank turns red.

tirtza

So I put in a new skimmer (the Aquatic Life). It's on the left side of the middle chamber.
So the only things in the middle chamber are:
Towards the right side of the chamber - A full unit of Chemi-Pure Elit, on top of that is a bag of Purigen, and on top of that some filter floss.
Towards the left side of the chamber - the protien skimmer
Does this sound okay??
The water level is totally full (it's at the top of the display window on the left side of the tank), but not so full that it's covering the air intake hole for the skimmer.

The bubbles are only coming up to the bottom of the little cup in the center of the skimmer.
Should the bubbles be rising hire than that?

beaslbob

IME you corals will be fine with a few days of no light or feeding.
Something else to consider is that very small amounts of cyano/algae are basically unavoidable. As long as they don't take over the entire tank things should be fine.
my .02