Silverado61's Stand and Tank build.

trigger40

oh i can fit. i know because iv gotten in my friends 75 soooo... i think i can fit. but thats a good one.

silverado61

Everybody, we'd like you to meet our critters:

This is one of our banded serpent stars. To give you an idea of how small he is, his central disk is about the size of a quarter. His coloring is gray with black bands on his tentacles. You'll notice he's got one very short tentacle. We call him "Gimpy".
2014-09-22 04.28.18.jpg 2014-09-22 04.28.22.jpg 2014-09-23 19.48.04.jpg
This little guy is brick red with black bands. His central disk is about the size of a nickel. We call him, of course "Red".
2014-09-23 04.27.24.jpg 2014-09-23 04.27.27.jpg
And this guy is also brick red with black bands. His central disk is about the size of a half dollar. His tentacles are much longer than the others. You can see that most of one tentacle is gone. If you look closely though, it's actually growing back, much like a lizards tail. We obviously call this one "Stumpy".
2014-09-23 19.50.00.jpg 2014-09-23 19.50.16.jpg
The only Astraea sp. Snail we have. He was an extra. We only ordered 3 different kinds. He's the fourth.
2014-09-24 12.09.00.jpg
One of two Trochus spp. Snails
2014-09-24 12.09.11.jpg
One of the two Nerita spp. Snails
2014-09-24 12.10.02.jpg

SWF only lets you post ten pics at a time so the rest are in the next post.

Last edited:

silverado61

One of five Nassarious Snails.
2014-09-24 12.12.18.jpg

These guys I must have gotten from Flower. I thought I killed them in transport because they were on the front seat of my truck in the sun on the way home. So far i've found five of these guys all over my rock work. even in the DIY rock.
I guess they do play dead Flower. lol
2014-09-24 12.11.04.jpg
And we've also got ten Blue Legged Hermits. So far they haven't gone near the snails. (Fingers crossed).

Our tank has life! Woo Hoo!

Last edited:

trigger40

the only bad thing about them is that they hide all the time and usualy only come out at feeding time. thats what mine did.

geridoc

Yeah, I have a red serpent who only appears at feeding time, but it is worth the wait - he is gorgeous!

silverado61

We love ours too. Two of them look like they had been attacked in the wild and missing portions of one or two of their tentacles but I swear they're growing back. That's just too cool!
I think of it as saving them and giving them a good home where they can live out the rest of their lives feeling safe from other predators.

Gimpy is a little shyer than the other two but we're working on him.

That's just one of the reasons I love this hobby.

trigger40

my star fish used to eat out of my hand. watching them eat is really cool. but when i moved some rocks around it just would not eat... so it starved. hope thats not the case with yours.

silverado61

I know that all I have right now are Snails, Hermits and the serpents but I can still just sit in front of the tank for hours just watching them. It's like each one has their own personality.

The snails just take their time but they still move like they have a goal. When they're on the front glass, I look at them under the magnifying glass and watch how their foot moves or the way each of them scrape food off the glass.

The hermits are like ants. Always searching. Always digging. Always picking at something. It's like they never get tired and they never punch off the clock and just relax.

The serpents are in a class all by themselves. I'll take their food and smear it on a piece of coral tied to a fishing line and lower into the tank. Usually in the same spot and they go right to it. Sometimes I'll put it in a different spot just to see what happens and they still go right to the rock. Amazing sense of smell seeing as they have no eyes. They'll grab the food with the tips of their arms then coil them till they're under the central disk then they feed. The little one (Gimpy) stays hidden so when the other two get their fill i'll move the rock over to where he hides then he'll come out to eat.

trigger40

star fish are very cool. and very delicate too o_O. hermits always give me a laugh. i dont know why but they do... their faces are funny looking.

silverado61

Very delicate as far as water quality. I've read that you can cut them in half and if the water quality is good they will regenerate. If they feel extremely threatened they can drop an arm as a distraction till they escape. Amazing creatures.

trigger40

Very delicate as far as water quality. I've read that you can cut them in half and if the water quality is good they will regenerate. If they feel extremely threatened they can drop an arm as a distraction till they escape. Amazing creatures.
my trigger used to grab a snack from my star. he would always bite the ends off.

Last edited:

Denise1

I'm not really sure if anyone will even read this. I just wanted to keep a log on my progress of my 72g stand and tank build.

I have been planning this build for quite some time now. Reading, researching, asking a lot of questions here, a lot doodling on paper, drawing up rough graph blue prints and doing the final drawings of what I wanted it to look like when it's finished.

I started building the frame for the base about two months ago but then the cold snap hit and since I'm doing this in a unheated garage, all work came to a grinding halt.

I have been working on cleaning all the equipment I have on hand that I can use for this build ( sump/fuge, power heads, etc ) and cleaning all the equipment that I used on my 36g tank which mysteriously crashed for reasons I still haven't figured out, I do know it's was nothing I did or neglected to do, and putting it all away for future use.

Mother nature recently gave me a break in the weather for a few days so I had a chance to do some more work on the stand and make some modifications on the design.

Now it's getting colder again so the build is back on hold for a couple more weeks. I checked the Farmers Almanac and it looks like in two weeks or so the temps should stay in the 40's and up so I should be able to work steady on this build. Until then I'll just keep planning and preparing.

Here's a few photo's of what I've done so far:

I'm using 1x4 kiln dried pine boards for all the framing. I got a lot of inspiration from 2quills build including towers on each end of the tank and the light bridge across the top of the tank and towers. but since I don't have the tools or woodworking knowledge that he does, I'm doing the best I can with what I have to work with along with some design changes.

All the boards for the framing have been doubled up and overlapped at each joint using Guerrilla Glue on all contact surfaces. All the boards that are sandwiched (Doubled Up.) are glued, clamped and pneumatically nailed together. Each buttressing joint has been glued, clamped and screwed in place. Each corner joint surface has been reinforced using dowel pins and glue. Once the plywood has been cut to fit the inside of the base I'll do the framing inside the base for the end cabinets. All the screws I'm using are stainless steel and the pneumatic nails are galvanized to prevent rust.

I've done just about as much as I can on the frame for the base. The next step will be installing the plywood inside the cabinet. Since I'm using 3/4" oak on the deck of the stand and I'll have half a sheet left over, I'll be using the other half inside the base.

Here's my plan for the placement of everything in the stand:

In the base, the left cabinet will hold the container of R/O water for top off and it will also house the siphon hoses for water changes. The right cabinet will have the breaker box and GFCI outlets to plug in all the equipment. The inside will be double walled so the outlet boxes won't be exposed to any splash from the sump/fuge. The main section will house the 35g sump/fuge with enough room to remove it through the front if needed without taking the whole stand down.

Because I'm too lazy to get on my knees to reach the switches to control equipment, I'll be installing them in the right side tower. It will also hold the light controller for the LED's and the speed control for the return pump since it will also have the feed delay switch. The left tower will be for misc. storage. Meds, dosing, food, testing supplies, etc.

The light bridge will of course hold the coral LED lights which will be on drawer glides so that I can pull them out for cleaning and maintenance on the tank.

If I planed the stand build right, it should all be able to be taken apart in four pieces (not including the tank) at a moments notice for repairs, upgrades and improvements.

Once all the framing and electrical are finished, I'll paint the inside with white marine paint so the lighting for the sump/fuge will be amplified. Then I'll close everything up using either birch or polar wood. Finishing with stain and polyurethane.

Well, That's it for now. I'll update this in a couple of weeks once the weather allows me to continue my work.

As always, any input or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Till then: Always learning.
Very impressive. I just bought a 110 with an oak cabinet. Beautiful. Keep us posted