Snake's 75g build thread

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/580#post_3512416
I barely have the co2 turned on and the effluent going high. Going to tweak here and there over the next few days.
Did you read the article I think it was in ReefKeeper on tuning the reactor.....An excellent article you should read.....Takes a lot of guess work out of it and gives you a good base line to start with.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/580#post_3512404
So, i found the connection/adapter! Woohoo. Im hooking my calcium reactor up this evening. Probably slightly turning it on as well.
I have to see how i am going to make my return pump also power my phosphate reactor. Im going to get it back online soon. Maybe fill it with chemipure elite. Nip this cyano problem in the bud.
You can do a little better than Chemipure......Has very little GFO in it for the money......You want phosphate removal GFO......

snakeblitz33

Eh. I have some gfo i can add to some chemipure. Its not a problem. Just trying to get a handle on the cyano before it covers everything.
As you know, my skimmer is acting up. Its not really skimming very well at the moment. I think i might have to play around with the water depth on it some to see if that helps any. Not really sure what is goin on at this point. Anyone have a diy skimmer stand idea they would like to share?
if my skimmer doesnt start working right im going to pull it and go with a full blown refugium under the tank. I may even upgrade sumps and have a larger fuge. Who knows.
I called logan at reefbreeders and talked to him. He recommended that i got with the two smaller controlable units. He said i could go with the cheap units but they arent controllable with the apex unless i pay $100 more for the hookup. So thats almost as much as buying the one with the controller anyways.
I am thinking about not having a canopy and just having an open top for the new led fixtures. That would save me some money and hassle of having to buy wood and build a canopy.
I made up some water for a water change. I found some red slime remover i had leftover. Its very tempting. Lol.
Ill read that article when i have more time. Im studying for my first chem exam tomorrow. Yikes!!

snakeblitz33

I have officially decided to make this a mixed reef instead of an sps dominated system. My wife and i had a chat and i feel like we would both be happier right now at least with some more movement in the tank rather than "hard sticks". I do not regret purchasig the calcium reactor, however. I am absolutely positive that it will have a wonderful impat on the health of the system.
I will also be upgrading my lights and my powerhead soon. I just dont think that an sps dominated tank is something that i really really want for the time being and i feel like it will be a little less work and maintenance making it a mixed reef tank.

snakeblitz33

SOO,,....
I took the first dreaded chemistry exam. :( I need to go back and review all of my notes for dimensional analysis. :( If I can get the hang of it better, I'm sure that calculating g/mol and mol will be much easier to understand. At any rate, I think I did Ok - at least passing. I knew most of the other stuffs and I did get a lot of the problems right. Overall I think I can pass the class with a C or better. At least I can pass it and get this class out of the way. That's all I need to do.
So, I came home and there was even more cyano on the sandbed today. It's growing in patches elsewhere on the sandbed now. Even a little on the rocks. I'll have to add some additional water movement to the tank and I'll siphon out as much as I can with a gravel vac. I may even get my phosphate reactor back online. I know I want to buy some macroalgae once it becomes available on a certain website...
I am still trying to figure out how to make my octopus skimmer more efficient. :(

snakeblitz33

I finally got in my Apex Jr. Aquacontroller. :D I can toy around with it some tonight. A bummer though, I didn't know that it didn't come with a pH port... I thought you just had to by the pH probe separately with it. I guess you have to buy a module or something with it.

snakeblitz33

I did a 5g water change and removed most of the built up cyano. I also moved my skimmer to the return pump section and put it's output in the middle chamber which will become my refugium section after I buy some macroalgae for it. Hmm... what's a good macro? I have never really had a whole lot of success with chaeto... I was thinking a caulerpa or something similar. I'll have to catch a sale at the LFS or something soon.
I'm now looking into the modules for the pH probes and all of that for the Apex Jr.

acrylic51

Seth....We had this discussion days ago....
Laughing with you buddy not at you.......
Anyways from our conversation this is the gaming adapter I was referring to to get you wireless......Now keep in mind do not do your firmware updates wireless.....You need to hardwire it for that.....

NETGEAR WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Internet Adapter

S

siptang

Nice pics.
That's one reason why I got a apex lite instead of jr.
Also look into power line technology. I use that fory apex without any issues.

kiefers

I am really interested in your new LED`s.
Please update often. For your cyano issue, why not use the chem clean? (Sorry, using my kindle HD and it wants to change my spelling on me every time)

snakeblitz33

Thanks for the info shawn.
Ill look into powerline. Not sure what that is but ill check it out.
I wont be getting leds for a couple months. Too many other projects going on at the moment. But once i get them ill keep you updated.

S

siptang

Power line is basically putting an adapter into your router and your outlet, making all your outlets in your house into an ethernet port with an adapter.
I wished you lived closer buddy, I would have sold you my LEDs for extremely cheap. They look like radions, with blues, reds, greens, extreme royal blues. UV purples and 10000k whites it looks stunning. Just ask Rick (nova) here. I am designing a new LEDs at the moment that will be state of the art and bank breaking lol. Me and my projects hahahahaha.

acrylic51

Seth.....Take the skimmer depth back to as deep as you can.......Perferably 8"-9" of water......Here's possibly a mod you could do to save a little sump space as well....

snakeblitz33

Thats a nice little mod.
Ill go back up to 8.5" depth and see if that works. I have no clue.
Ill also clean the intakes and the airline tube to make sure that nothing is getting clogged. Im kinda at a loss. Dont tell me my skimmer is too big for my tank. Lol

S

siptang

lol, i'm a master at finding deals. I got the whole set up for 35.99 from newegg on sale. ;)
Relatively cheap and definitely much easier then setting up game router.
Speed wise, mine gives 250mb lan and honestly it's an over kill for something like apex. Even with live video feed, it handles things perfectly fine.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/600#post_3512562
lol, i'm a master at finding deals. I got the whole set up for 35.99 from newegg on sale. ;)
Relatively cheap and definitely much easier then setting up game router.
Speed wise, mine gives 250mb lan and honestly it's an over kill for something like apex. Even with live video feed, it handles things perfectly fine.
I'll have to check it out......Video is something I've been contemplating adding into the scheme of things at some point....Not super expensive either....
Seth any updates.....Curious when I mentioned cleaning the pump are you soaking it or just scrubbing it down really good.....If your using vinegar are you pulling your O rings and such before soaking/cleaning.........