Snake's 75g build thread

snakeblitz33

Yeah, Lots of good equipment. I figure if I am going to go to MACNA this year, I need a tank to put all the corals in. lol

posiden

Dang...Dude. I just hit up Spanko and I grabbed this thread for you. Skimmed several pages to get a jist of whats going on, only find out it's all broke down. Bummer man. I'm impressed as all get out. The setup is much more nice then anything I've ever owned.
I hope you stick with what needs the most attention. I missed the younger days of my daughters. I was an instant dad. I do wonder what the early days of their lives was truly like. No biological of my own.
No worries, you'll be TOTM some day. It's gonna happen.

snakeblitz33

Well, the good news is that I am keeping the tank. lol
I am going to devote a little money and time into it. I just don't want to break it down just yet. I have rearranged my lighting schedule so that it might be easier on my electric bill. I am also converting my lights to LEDs, and considering switching my return pump to something a lot more energy efficient. The electric bill is the main reason why I Was going to break it down, but I haven't done much changes and my electric went down from $200 to about $130... I hope to get it lower and lower over the course of the Summer - using more overhead fans and airing out the house on cooler days.
The main thing is running the main AC during the day to keep the tank cool.... it's getting into the 90s here in Louisiana, and it's going to get much hotter over the next two months.
My wife really wants to go to MACNA this year (and so do I) so I'm saving up for some toys (LEDs, MP40, etc.) as well as the trip down there. It should be pretty fun. :D
One of the other reasons why I don't really like my tank is because I converted a lot of it to a mixed reef... and I am all about the SPS corals man. I just haven't had a whole lot of success getting any to grow. So, I'm going to do what I can to remedy that situation over the Summer and introduce some corals from Harry's Frags into the tank to see if it's ready for some frags to come back with me from MACNA.
In any case, I'm still around and so is the tank.

snakeblitz33

Oh, and my daughter, Emma, is growing like a weed! She is now 30" tall and is 22 pounds and knows a few words and a lot of gestures... She is pretty smart and learning fast. I'm a big part of her life, and I make sure of it. We play together and have fun, she "helps" in the garden and helps me clean. It's so cute. I made up my mind that I was going to be a big part of my childrens lives, unlike my absent father.

E

eric b 125

Way to stick it out bro. The way I see it: if an MP40 and some LEDs is what you want for this tank, then don't stop until you get them. It might take a little while, but a few bucks here and there can go a long way and it's worth the effort to get good quality products. It's pretty obvious that aquaria is not a passing hobby with you so I believe it will be money well spent.
Now get rid of those softies dude.

E

eric b 125

I've seen you mention Harry's Frags before, so I assume you were happy with them?

snakeblitz33

Yup. Very happy with him. He was polite and made sure i was happy. He even called me a couple days after i got my order to check on everything. The corals were healthy and bigger than my lfs usually has available. If you buy five he gives you free overnight shipping. He even surprised me by giving me a free frag!

E

eric b 125

I'll look into it, thanks bud. I am looking forward to going to frag swaps again. By the time my tank is ready for corals, one of my favorite swaps will be setting up.

posiden

I'm not much of a colored stick guy. The SPS tanks look great and I know all the hard work that goes into them, It's that they are too static for me. I am gonna try one or two pieces soon, as I think they will complement the mixed reef I'm after.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posiden http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/780#post_3521927
I'm not much of a colored stick guy. The SPS tanks look great and I know all the hard work that goes into them, It's that they are too static for me. I am gonna try one or two pieces soon, as I think they will complement the mixed reef I'm after.
I like the fact that they are static but every time you turn around, you can notice a new polyp forming, a new arm taking shape... it's facinating to watch for me, over time. It might not be interesting to a lot of people, but I have had lots of softies and LPS over the years and I have yet to grow a tank full of colored sticks that would meet anyones approval.
Wish me luck!

snakeblitz33

So, I've been doing a little re-working. I'm going to try to get the sump cleaned up to the best of my ability pretty soon. I have some live rock in the sump that I'm going to take out so that it won't collect detritus. I'm also re-working my mechanical filtration chamber to either use a filter sock OR I'm going to keep what I am using (polyfiber quilters padding) and use it in a different way instead of using the eggcrate shelf. Either way, it's going to work out. I'm going to add some carbon filtration to the mechanical filtration chamber, and I'm considering adding a pump to my sump to push water into my calcium reactor, phosphate reactor and keep a lot of water moving around in my sump to prevent detritus from collecting on the bottom.
I'm trying this "new" thing in my system, where I am trying to keep as much detritus out of my tank as possible - within the rocks, in the sand, from accumulating in my sump.... and I'm going to try to replace the mechanical filter media pretty regularly as well, since I have been only doing it about once a month.
Oh, I traded my Reef Octopus Diablo XS160 cone skimmer for a Reef Octopus NWB-110. It should be here Thursday. The reason I downsized was because I didn't need that big of a skimmer on the tank - and it was highly inefficient at skimming smaller amounts of skimmate out of the tank. It never really worked well for my tank since my bioload is relatively low. So, I'm happy with the change and welcome it. I'll post pictures either Thursday or Friday of what I got and it installed on my system.
The other thing is that I am getting my tank prepped and ready to be a completely SPS dominated system - so I have saved at least $200 towards the ReefBreeders Photon48 LED light. woohoo! And another paycheck coming Friday. I'm excited - not much longer now until I get some decent light over my tank and get rid of this fugly temporary canopy.
By the way, my tank is using about 40ppm Calcium and 2mEQ/L alkalinity. Anyone think it's almost time to turn on the calcium reactor again? Just trying to prep everything and get it all dialed in so that I can order some colored sticks pretty soon - at least by the end of the Summer.

E

eric b 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/780#post_3521948
I like the fact that they are static but every time you turn around, you can notice a new polyp forming, a new arm taking shape... it's facinating to watch for me, over time. It might not be interesting to a lot of people, but I have had lots of softies and LPS over the years and I have yet to grow a tank full of colored sticks that would meet anyones approval.
Wish me luck!
To each their own, but I agree with you on this bro. After having a mixed reef I fell in love with sps. It's too difficult to keep softies from spreading too close to the colored sticks. I used to really like the movement of softies and you can get some pretty bangin colors out of LPS, but I like having more control over the growth and spread of my corals. Plus fragging SPS is so easy (not that softies and LPS are that much more difficult) and it's so rewarding to swap frags.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, it's a lot easier to swap SPS frags than any other corals, IMHO.
I just like to watch growth patterns over time, and I like the challenge. A fully SPS dominated reef is something that I have never been able to accomplish before. I feel like it is something that I should accomplish before I start telling other people how to do it, yah know?

E

eric b 125

Before my tank crashed I was on my way to a beautiful SPS reef. So it goes. I think with a balanced system and routine maintenance, it's much easier to keep sps than most people think.

snakeblitz33

I think my current problem is not enough light and a little temperature fluctuation. Im getting my tank sps ready over the summer. Upgrading my light. I might see if i can even save up enough for an mp40. Who knows. I just know that ill be much happier with an sps reef tank.
Speaking of changing a few things - i scraped the rest of the glass down on the other side two days ago. Yesterday my water was really cloudy. I dunno what is going on. Im going to add a powerhead to my sump today and replace the filter media. Im also going to buy anoyher flood light to grow some macroalgae that is left in the fuge. Thursday i will have my new skimmer set up. Its all looking up now. :)
Just doing a little here and there. Oh, my wife gave me the go ahead on building a side cabinet for the tank. I would like to get it built before she changes her mind. Lol. Im thinking about making a rack system for three or four ten gallon aquariums. Each one with a different purpose. Thr $1/gallon sale is coming up at the big box store and im thinking about using it as my sump and sectioning it off "correctly" this go-round.
In any case, it feels good to have a little money to spend on the hobby.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392906/snakes-75g-build-thread/780#post_3522230
I think my current problem is not enough light and a little temperature fluctuation. Im getting my tank sps ready over the summer. Upgrading my light. I might see if i can even save up enough for an mp40. Who knows. I just know that ill be much happier with an sps reef tank.
Speaking of changing a few things - i scraped the rest of the glass down on the other side two days ago. Yesterday my water was really cloudy. I dunno what is going on. Im going to add a powerhead to my sump today and replace the filter media. Im also going to buy anoyher flood light to grow some macroalgae that is left in the fuge. Thursday i will have my new skimmer set up. Its all looking up now. :)
Just doing a little here and there. Oh, my wife gave me the go ahead on building a side cabinet for the tank. I would like to get it built before she changes her mind. Lol. Im thinking about making a rack system for three or four ten gallon aquariums. Each one with a different purpose. Thr $1/gallon sale is coming up at the big box store and im thinking about using it as my sump and sectioning it off "correctly" this go-round.
In any case, it feels good to have a little money to spend on the hobby.

Nice. I think that side cabinet rack system would be cool.
IMHO, I think you could totally get away with a single MP40. Maybe supplement with the PH's you have now. Not a bad idea putting something in the sump to move the water a bit more. You mentioned something about your overflow/ filter sock... Do you have a pic of the setup now. I have trouble picturing it in my head. I, like you have been using the polyfil batting for a while now. I like it!! I have a filter box with some eggcrate in it that sandwiches the polyfil. Are you using something similar??

snakeblitz33

Sooo. I just killed two dozen green star polyp eating nudibranchs. I didnt notice that my star polyps were disappearing becausr the nudibrachs bodies looked like the polyps themselves. Did a 10 minute freshwater dip. Also killed about a dozen or so black brittle stars accidently as a result of the dip but its good to know that my rocks are that alive.
I hope my star polyps open back up and repopulate but if they dont, oh well. I have some pics of the nudi's if interested.

snakeblitz33

So, I made a few changes.
I replaced the light bulbs over the refugium so maybe the leftover C. racemosa macroalgae will start to grow again. I dunno what really happened to the rest of it.

Believe it or not, they are $1 flood lights from the Dollar tree. 3700k and 550 lumens each! That's not bad for $1 bulbs. I was expecting to pay $11 a bulb at Wally World.