Snake's Weight Loss Journal

snakeblitz33

Hey there everyone.
I have had one of these threads in the past and I decided to go ahead and re-start one. In March of 2010, I weighed 272 pounds and I felt terrible. I was completely out of shape and I was getting out of breath just going up one flight of stairs. It was interrupting my ability to do a great job at my workplace. I decided to loose weight.
The day that I decided to loose weight was the day that I completely gave up soda pop. In two months I dropped 30 pounds. In the months following, I picked up trying to walk more and jog a little and I bought a bicycle. I got a different job that required even more physical exercise and I dropped another twenty pounds.
Today, I am currently 210 pounds and I have kept it off for a year. The reason why I want to loose more weight is for my family. I am going to be a daddy soon, and I want to be around for him/her when they grow up. From what I have read, I should weigh 180 to 185.
I was wondering if any of you had any diet/weight loss tips that have helped you.
I've identified a few problem areas that I could work on. For one: I had a problem at the evening meal: I tend to overeat. I don't feel that "full" feeling like I usually do at lunch, so I chase the feeling. I've tried drinking water before eating, but I don't get that satisfying feeling that I want. Any suggestions?

reefraff

Congrats. Don't get too hung up on a number. Some people are going to carry more weight than others, I carry a lot of others LOL!
You could try eating diner earlier. That way even if it is a big meal you have more time to work it off.

snakeblitz33

That's a pretty good idea. I'll keep it in mind.
I'm really excited because for the first time in like eight years, I'm able to see the veins popping out of my hands and arms again. :D

michaeltx

a friend of mine is trying those FULL bars that you eat one with a glass of water and then 30 minutes later eat your normal meal its supposed to help you get that FULL felling faster. I have not tried them and have not heard if he is actually using them yet but if they work then its an idea to stop chasing that full feeling. BTW I have that same problem but have lost a ton if weight even working at mcdonalds if you can believe that one. LOL
later.
Mike

imurnamine

You may not think it, but you've done phenomenally. I'm the same way with the last meal of the day; I tend to completely gorge... If you've tried just about everything & the amount of food that you eat still is on your mind, just try eating earlier in the day... Maybe try to eat dinner by 6? That way you have plenty time to digest before you lie down for bed...
... & congratulations on being a daddy soon! : )

snakeblitz33

Hah, thank you for the words of advice.
I've actually quit eating dinner all together. LOL! I figure that I won't eat unless I feel really hungry. I haven't felt that feeling of hunger for the last few days in the evening - so I've let my digestive system take a break. lol.
I've stayed right at 210 pounds for the last month and I would like to get down to 205 by the end of this month.
I know they say not to concentrate on a number, and I'm not really. But I would like to loose enough weight to get rid of my love handles and a little more of my gut. I have a problem with my gynocomastia... can't get rid of it unless I get surgery. For those of you that don't know what gynocomastia is, it's excess adipose tissue in the chest. It's actually pretty common.
No matter how much weight I lost when I was a kid (I got down to 155) I was never able to get rid of it. Oh well. It will all work out. I'll just have to keep an eye on how much I eat.
I went to the doc the other day and asked him how I could loose more weight and he simply said: Don't eat so much!

deejeff442

i have been fighting mono since last september .i have lost way too much weight .i could send you a smooch and see if it gets you to 175 :O)
no really you have lost alot of weight thats awesome.dont get to crazy.my friend was over 320 .he got the lap band and is now 195.he wants to lose another 20 lbs.but he just is starting to look like a skelton .not good.like someone asked what is your height ? its all relative

snakeblitz33

I'm 6 foot even. According to all of the weight charts and stuff I should weigh anywhere from 170 to 190 to reach a normal weight.
Today I woke up and weighed myself and I'm the same weight as I have been for awhile now.
Is loosing weight as simple as STOP EATING SO MUCH!?

deejeff442

more or less.you just have to take in less calories than you put out.so if you dont excercise you dont burn calories and have to cut down on intake.

snakeblitz33

Alright! So, I think I have it all figured out! lol Weight loss is all about getting into a new habit. We are all creatures of habit. I guarantee you that if you get in a habit of switching from soda to water, you will loose weight. If you have a habit of reaching for a bag of chips before plopping down in front of the tv, if you replace it with a bowl of grapes - you will loose weight. That's the simplest key. You have to change your bad habits. If you go to Starbucks five days a week before work... for one you are probably paying too much for coffee - and two they use waaaay to much sugar, have it at home and you will save calories AND money. lol.
The problem with me was that I could never get in the habit of exercising. Well, I finally have figured out a way to do it... simply schedule it. Yes, that's right... scheduled exercise. at 8PM Monday - Saturday, I have an appointment with exercise. It sounds stupid and corny - but it's the only way that I can do it. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I lift weights and Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays I go jogging at the local high school track.
I figure if I am not loosing any weight or gaining any weight from my current diet, that if I just add exercise then I should start loosing some weight. I want to loose 25 pounds by the time my baby gets here, which will be just over 5 pounds per month.
I'm currently 215.0 pounds. I'm going to weigh in every Saturday morning and post it on here.
My 2012 goal is to participate in and complete a Marathon! Thanks to TheClemsonKid's inspiration.
I really need lots of encouragement...

travelerjp98

Oh you'll do just fine!
For encouragement: IF you get to your goal and run the marathon, allow yourself to SPLURGE on your tank! Just say that it's still a LOT less money than medical expenses are from being overweight. LOL... so you are still "saving money"
EDIT: 1,700th Post!!!! (I know they don't count, but I just noticed!)

socal57che

What you eat plays a huge role in what happens to it. Food is fuel. Different fuels get used in different ways.
Do NOT skip meals. Eat small healthy snacks every few hours. Skipping food intake causes your body to want to store the prior meal. (basically, it gets stored as fat) Eat a lean, healthy breakfast as soon as you get up. It gets your digestive system in gear. You should have more than one BM per day...as one meal goes in, one should want out. Add it to your schedule.

Cut down on simple carbs....especially late in the day. A potato is ok, but try to avoid white rice, pasta and sugars.
Up your protein intake to at least 1 gram per pound of lean body mass daily. I just do at least one gram per lb of body weight daily.
Add fiber to your diet.
Start taking a decent multivitamin every day. I take one in the morning and one in the evening plus a Bcomplex mid-day.
Add a "fat burner" like Spirodrene.
Eat 1/4 cup almonds daily.
Replace soda pop with water. Switch it up with some calorie free Gatorade.
Drink TONS of water. Every function your body performs requires water. 60% of muscle weight is water.
Start a photo log. It is far more accurate that scales. You can see your body transform over time even if your weight does not change.
Add this to your new exercise routine and I guarantee that you will see results.
Scheduling exercise is very wise.

snakeblitz33

Thanks Socal. I appreciate all of the advice!
Yeah, I'm going to wake up and keep cooking my usual two egg breakfast, but I'm going to leave off the toast or biscuit and replace it with a banana or some fruit, if I'm still hungry. For dinners, I usually eat at work, so I will probably start packing my own food again. I need some healthy work meal ideas. I do have a fridge and microwave that I can use at my workplace. Any help with that would be awesome.
For suppers, I have a tendency to eat and eat and eat until I get satiated. Not necessarily full, but satisfied. I'll keep eating and eating until I get satisfied, even though I am full. I don't know how else to describe it. It doesn't happen at breakfast or dinner - just supper. So, I'm going to have to think of something to get past that. Due to my work schedules and stuff, I can't just take a break and eat a snack mid morning and mid afternoon. Doesn't happen and can't happen. So, the five meals a day thing is out.
I'm sure that since I am not gaining any weight and not loosing any weight that just by me getting regular exercise six days a week will really help get my weight down. If I get to the point where exercise won't do it anymore, then I'll keep modifying my diet.
I would really like to loose all this fat and get some muscle definition, but I have no idea how feasible that is going to be. Anyways, I guess I'm going to find out this year!

socal57che

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/387178/snakes-weight-loss-journal#post_3422444
Thanks Socal. I appreciate all of the advice!
Yeah, I'm going to wake up and keep cooking my usual two egg breakfast, but I'm going to leave off the toast or biscuit and replace it with a banana or some fruit, if I'm still hungry. For dinners, I usually eat at work, so I will probably start packing my own food again. I need some healthy work meal ideas. I do have a fridge and microwave that I can use at my workplace. Any help with that would be awesome.
For suppers, I have a tendency to eat and eat and eat until I get satiated. Not necessarily full, but satisfied. I'll keep eating and eating until I get satisfied, even though I am full. I don't know how else to describe it. It doesn't happen at breakfast or dinner - just supper. So, I'm going to have to think of something to get past that. Due to my work schedules and stuff, I can't just take a break and eat a snack mid morning and mid afternoon. Doesn't happen and can't happen. So, the five meals a day thing is out.
I'm sure that since I am not gaining any weight and not loosing any weight that just by me getting regular exercise six days a week will really help get my weight down. If I get to the point where exercise won't do it anymore, then I'll keep modifying my diet.
I would really like to loose all this fat and get some muscle definition, but I have no idea how feasible that is going to be. Anyways, I guess I'm going to find out this year!
As we age, our metabolism naturally slows down. Eventually, traveler and rg will realize this. Obesity is such a huge problem in this country and taking a stimulant to curb appetite and increase metabolism is worth it to drop weight that will definitely cause health problems as we age.
You don't have to stop for a meal. Keep a couple low carb protein bars with you (in your desk, in your toolbox, etc) to eat every couple hours in between meals. It will keep your metabolism up in between meals...especially if you have a low impact desk job.
Increasing protein intake help keep your body from going catabolic as you decrease overall calories and increase exercise. Your body will actually use muscle for fuel instead of fat if you don't do something to stop it. Same thing happens if we skip breakfast. Upping protein actually triggers your body to use more fat as fuel.
Spiredrene contains...
Vitamin B12, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, caffeine, red tea, white ginseng, 1,3-dimethylamylamine, di-caffeine malate, tehobromine, methyl synephrine, yohimbine HCL, 4-hydroxyphenylalanine
It is not "poison" and can accelerate fat loss when used with proper diet and exercise. It can also help the "last meal" binge eating that is so common. We tend to starve ourselves all day and decide to give up at dinner time. I fight it, too. Water before meals helps, but only lasts so long. See if you can find one thing that is very satisfying for you and eat some in moderation after dinner. "Cheating" on a diet is a good thing and can be controlled. It's the lack of being able to eat what we like and want that makes it so easy to quit altogether. I have entire cheat days where I don't watch anything I eat. It helps curb the feeling of being deprived of foods I love to eat. It may even make those foods more enjoyable by making them a real treat....a reward, if you will. The last meal needs to be low carb and curbed (amount of food and calories) more than earlier meals. This is the one that stays with you all night. If your body has been deprived of calories all day, then you overeat, your body will be in panic mode and will store this last meal as fat. We can't get around that unless we have the metabolism of a 16 year old. (most of us don't)
Subscribe to some online fitness magazines and forums. Bodybuilding.com has a lot of great articles on diet and exercise. It has TONS of members in all categories so there is something to fit almost any physique and lifestyle. I subscribe to articles by Dorian Yates and others, too. Basic weightlifting and body sculpting principles apply to everyone so you don't have to be a pro bodybuilder to get something out of it.

snakeblitz33

I already frequent the forums at bodybuilding.com. lol!!!
Thanks for all the advice. I can use it. Lately, some people have recommended taking hydroxycut and they say that it will curb your appetite for the evening meal as well. Depending on the price, I might go with yours or their choice. Who knows. I might not take anything at all. lol
I'm considering taking a weekly picture as well. But, My wife would have to do it and I'll have to remember to do it,.. so I dunno. lol
I actually wanted to go for a run today, but I decided not to because it was my rest day. Tomorrow is weights.